Lenovo is a renowned firm for its distinguished range of products in the market. Like Desktops, notebooks, tablet computers, supercomputers, peripherals, etc. recently “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” issue has become quite often searched topic on google.
As per users, their Lenovo laptop is unable to return from sleep mode. Some have reported that it stays in hibernation mode. The most severe stage is when it stops turning on. Another concern under “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” is you can only perform external operations to fix it. Even its BIOS is inaccessible, so all we can do is fixing it using external peripherals like the battery, Charging adapter, etc.
But no need to worry, this is a fixable issue. Be with us till the end to fix “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” issue.
Lenovo Laptop Won’t Turn On: Problem Overview
Under this when a user presses the power button it does nothing. In some cases, the Power LED blinks for 2 or 3 times with a black screen. Lenovo users have reported that there is no beep sound neither keypad backlight. Even there is no BIOS related instruction.
There can be various reasons behind the “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” issue like newly installed RAM kit etc. Some of the main culprits has been listed below for your reference.
- Damaged or Non-cooperating Battery: There are chances that your battery is not providing enough external power to wake up your system. This can be because of an unresponsive battery. Either the battery is damaged or it is not cooperating with your Lenovo laptop.
- Irregular Voltage pulse: AC adapter can be damaged, which can affect the voltage supply. improper voltage pulse can affect the overall system’s performance. check on charging adapters chords.
- Improper Prior System Operation: Sometimes users turn off their system without performing a proper shutdown. Some users don’t even realize that BIOS, Registry, etc are the very sensitive area to operate with. In case any harm is caused to these, it will surely affect your system in some or the other way.
Lenovo Laptop Won’t Turn On: Related Problems
“Lenovo laptops won’t turn on” issue has a vast range of related problems. Methods to fix these are similar. We have mentioned most occurred related problems to help out our readers.
Before going for an Advanced approach, we advise you to check on your hardware or any other external thing that can cause “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” issue.
Look out for hardware defect
Check on your hardware, like in case you are getting any noise while tapping on the power button. This is a sign that there might be some issue with your hard drive. This cannot be fixed like that just visit an expert for it.
In case you have recently inserted or replaced a RAM package. This can be the reason behind boot up issues. Sometimes incompatibility occurs because of hardware. We advise you to Reinstall the RAM on your Lenovo laptop.
Charge your Lenovo laptop completely
The reason can be, your Lenovo laptop is not fully charged up. Just charge it completely. Connect your Lenovo laptops AC adapter and let it charged completely as per requirement.
Now we start with steps to fix this issue. We are here with a list of fixes, which will work for you. We advise you to follow all the methods one by one. Do not jump, just follow as orderly as it is written to fix “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” issue.
Make sure there is no external device connected with your laptop. Like USB, DVD, Chords, Printer, Scanners, external mouse, etc. remove everything before trying any method mentioned here.
Note: Users who have a built-in battery in their Lenovo laptop. Consider these sets of instructions to Remove the built-in battery. Be careful while doing this as this includes opening up your laptop’s bottom.
Steps To Fix Lenovo Laptop Won’t Turn On
- Step 1
Check on Overheating issue
Laptops have an internal thermal protection system. It shuts down the system once it is overheated. You will be unable to turn it on till it gets down to its normal temperature. It happens due to blocked laptop vents. This can happen if you use your laptop at the bed. As this James the heat releasing outlet. We advise you to prefer a desk.
Fix: Leave your laptop for some hours and let it cool down. If it has a removable battery, take that out.
After an hour put them back and turn on your Lenovo laptop to check whether “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” issue got fixed or not. In case it doesn’t go for our next method.
Note: In case your Lenovo laptop is unable to vent out the heat, that means your laptop fan is damaged. In this case, also you will face issues with booting and powering on your Lenovo laptop. Consider replacing your laptops fan via an expert.
- Step 2
Check on the Battery and Charging adapter
Let’s try on checking the power supply and battery. The issue can be here or somewhere else so let’s get sure about it.
Issues can be with a charging adapter like an internally damaged chord. This will interrupt the proper voltage supply. To test this let’s try it.
- Remove the battery of your Lenovo laptop completely.
- Now connect the AC adapter with your laptop and try to turn it on by pressing the power button.
- In case it turns on, it means the issue is with your battery.
Now just replace your battery with a new one to fix it. Yeah, aff course you can use your laptop using the external outlet till you get a new battery.
Note: In case it doesn’t switch on, then chances are maybe your AC adapter is damaged. We advise you to repeat the above step using other laptops AC adapter of the same voltage specification.
- Step 3
Go for Draining out the residual power
There is a residual electric charge which can conflict with your Lenovo’s laptop power on the issue. It is a kind of electricity clog, which needs to be drained out. This will eliminate the issue if it is because of power internal glitch.
Follow the below steps to perform this fix:
- Remove in Built battery from Lenovo laptop.
- Remove your Lenovo laptops charger and let the laptop be in power-off state,
- Now, if you have a removable battery, just remove the battery of your system.
- Now just press power toggle 10 times in 10 seconds.
- Once again press it for 11th time and hold it for 30 seconds.
- Now just connect your AC adapter. Please don’t connect the battery yet.
- Now try to turn on your Lenovo laptop by pressing the power button.
- If it turns on, just let it completely turned on. Then shut down it in a proper manner.
- Now put the battery back in your Lenovo laptop and press the power button to turn it on.
- Remove in Built battery from Lenovo laptop.
In case this worked for you it’s great. In case it doesn’t go for our next method.
- Step 4
Use the Emergency Reset Hole
There is an emergency reset hole in your laptop for such situations. You need to find it out, this will surely help you out.
- Remove the power supply.
- take a thin paper clip.
- Now look for the Emergency Reset Hole in your Lenovo laptop.
- once you find it, just hold it for 10 seconds using the paper clip.
- Once done just try to turn it on using the power button.
After this, if the issue “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” gets fixed then you can stop here. In case it is not then go for our next method.
- Step 5
CMOS battery replacement
CMOS battery stores the BIOS settings in the motherboard so checking on it is essential. But this is a bit technical so you need to be careful while performing this. In case it is faulty you will need to replace it. This is affordable so need to worry.
Follow the below steps to perform this:
- At first, unplug any power supply.
- Now you need to remove the bottom shell of your Lenovo laptop. Follow this link to perform the CMOS battery removal and installation process.
Once it is done, after turning on you will see some error message. Do not worry that’s normal, due to the newly replaced CMOS battery. Follow the further on-screen instructions and enjoy using your Lenovo laptop.
Note: In case the issue is not fixed yet that means there is some internal damage. Like a damaged motherboard of your Lenovo laptop, damaged charging circuit, a damaged video card, RAM related issue, or software glitch.
In case you have opened up your laptop then by mistake you have damaged it. As if you touch any component, static electricity releases which can cause damage. In this situation just go for or Contact the official support section.
Tips to Avoid Lenovo Laptop Won’t Turn OnProblem
Contact Official Support
As per our research after trying all above the issue “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” should get fixed. In case it persists, the issue can be with your motherboard or some other core peripheral. We advise you to consult your Lenovo customer support.
Here you should take offline help so visit your nearest Lenovo service center. Go to this link to find out your nearest service center. If your laptop in is warranty period, make sure you carry the original bill or warranty card. Yeah, be calm as this is fixable.
Final Words: Conclusion
All the above-mentioned methods have been pre-tested by our experts. You can try them to fix the “Lenovo laptop won’t turn on” issue. We advise you to follow our “Tips to Avoid” section to prevent it from occurring in the future. In case you are unable to perform any step, do contact us via a comment for assistance.
Once the issue gets fixed, let us know your valuable feedback with the method worked for you. We are always open to hearing your mind regarding our work.