Is your Dell Touchpad Not Working? Can’t you move the mouse pointer through the Dell Touchpad? Then you need to go through this post till the last paragraph.
We have a full-fledged guide that allows you to find the root cause of Touchpad Not Working on your Dell laptop and fix it with the best tricks.
Dell is top MNC that produces both normal and gaming laptops. It manufactures the laptops in different configurations to make them available for all groups of people.
Though the users benefit a lot with their Dell laptops, it troubles them a few times by showing problems. The touchpad on the Dell laptop suddenly stops working.
It might be a driver issue or any other else. To overcome this problem on your Windows 10 system, move to the further sections.
Dell Touchpad Not Working: Problem Overview
On our desktop computers, we use a mouse device in order to move the pointer to point to any file, folder, or app. It is easy to open, close, and select the elements using the mouse on our desktops.
But when coming to laptops, the mouse is an integral part of it, and it is known as Touchpad or Trackpad. It’s your choice to connect and use the external mouse on your laptop.
None of the devices are exempted from problems, including the Dell laptops. When we are using its touchpad, it stops working and will not allow us to point out the elements on the screen.
Without using Touchpad, we cannot move the mouse pointer and select any icon/app on our Windows system. So, it is mandatory to resolve the Dell Touchpad Not Working issue.
For that, we have provided the possible reasons that cause this problem. They are:
Now, check out the following sections to know the methods that fix the Dell Touchpad Not Working issue.
Dell Touchpad Not Working: Related Problems
Let’s read the following paragraphs to know the different areas where you face this Dell Touchpad Not Working issue.
Dell Touchpad Not Working: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Let’s start with the basic methods that resolve the Dell Touchpad Not Working problem on your Windows 10.
Reboot your Dell Laptop
Sometimes, simple glitches or bugs cause this kind of hardware problem. To fix this issue, try restarting the Dell laptop. Before that, close all the applications or processes running on your system.
- Click on the Start Menu -> Go to the Power options -> Choose Restart icon.
Thus, it will restart your Dell system within seconds. After that, use the Touchpad to know whether the problem still exists or not.
Unplug External Mouse Device
Some users connect external mouse devices to their Dell laptops. And there are chances of facing this Touchpad Not Working issue due to this external device.
So, confirm the problem happens due to your Bluetooth or wired mouse by disconnecting it from the laptop. If the Touchpad won’t work even after removing the external mouse, then move to the next section to use some more tricks to fix it.
Steps To Fix Dell Touchpad Not Working Issue
Don’t get irritated if the primary steps didn’t solve the issue because you’ve several other techniques to make the Touchpad work properly on your Dell Laptop.
- Step 1
Enable the Touchpad using Fn (Function) Key
The Touchpad on your Dell or any other laptop works only when it is enabled. If the Dell Touchpad Not Working issue is troubling you, then once check whether it is enabled or not.
Some users accidentally disable the Touchpad settings on their laptops. So, it is better to confirm before moving to further steps.
You can use the F9 Function key to re-enable the Touchpad on your Dell laptop. After pressing the F9 key, check if it is working or still shows the same issue.
- Step 2
Enable Dell Touchpad via Control Panel
According to some users, the touchpad on their systems stops functioning after installing the Windows updates. If you belong to the same category, then make changes on the control panel to enable the Touchpad, as shown below.
- Press Windows + R -> Type control panel -> Click OK.
- Go to the Hardware and Sound category -> Choose Mouse and Touchpad.
- In the next step, click on the Additional Mouse Options. Under the Mouse Properties, check the Touchpad is enabled or not.
- If it is turned off or disabled, then click on the Enable Device in the Dell Touchpad tab.
Reboot the laptop and see if the Touchpad is functioning properly or not.
- Step 3
Turn On the Touchpad from Dell Settings
Apart from the Function (F9) key and Control Panel, you can also enable the Dell Touchpad through the Device Settings. Take a look at the following instructions to enable the touchpad easily and quickly.
- Press Windows + I keys to open Settings -> Click on the Devices section.
- On the left-side pane, choose the Touchpad tab.
- Come to the right pane and click the toggle button to enable the Touchpad option.
- Restart the system after performing the above steps.
If the Dell Touchpad Not Working issue is not yet fixed, then use some other tricks given below.
- Step 4
Enable Touchpad from BIOS
If the Dell Touchpad option is disabled in BIOS, then it will not work at all. At this moment, you have to make changes to the BIOS settings to enable the Touchpad. For that,
- Reboot your Windows system and press Del or F2 key whenever you see the Dell manufacturer logo.
- It will enter into the BIOS menu, and in that, locate the Touchpad settings.
- If you find the Touchpad option is disabled, then switch it to enable.
- Save and exit from the BIOS menu.
Once you restart the system, check whether the Touchpad resumes working as it should be or not.
- Step 5
Update or Rollback Touchpad Drivers
The touchpad is also a hardware device, so it requires compatible drivers installed on your Dell system. We think that the Touchpad drivers are outdated, and that’s why it might not be working on your device.
Therefore, download and install the latest versions of Touchpad drivers manually by using the below steps.
- Go to the Start menu -> Type Device Manager in the Cortana search box -> Hit Enter.
- You can see the main window of Device Manager on your screen. In that, expand the Mice and Other Pointing Devices by double-clicking on it.
- Now, choose the Dell Touchpad from the drop-down menu and right-click on it -> Click Update Driver.
- In the next step, click on the Search automatically for the updated driver software.
It will check whether there are any new touchpad drivers released by the Dell manufacturers or not. If so, it automatically downloads and installs those latest drivers on your Dell laptop.
After upgrading the drivers, restart the device and test whether the touchpad is working properly or not.
According to some Dell users, the Touchpad stopped working after installing the latest drivers. If the same happens with you, then restore the older drivers. For that,
- Open the Device Manager -> Expand the Mice and Other Pointing Devices ->Right-click the Dell Touchpad -> Choose Properties.
- Under the Driver tab, click on the Rollback Driver option.
- Thus, it will install the previous versions of touchpad drivers on your Windows 10 device.
- Step 6
Create a Linux Boot DVD
There are a few people who say that booting the Dell laptop in Linux and then booting back on Windows 10/11 will resolve this Touchpad Not Working issue.
It sounds weird, but the users have successfully solved it on their systems. So, we recommend this method to you to get rid of this touchpad issue.
- First of all, download any version of Linux ISO (let’s say Ubuntu) on your device.
- After that, insert an empty DVD or connect a blank flash drive and burn the Linux ISO on this DVD/flash drive.
- Now, restart your device and make sure to boot from the Linux that you’ve created recently.
- After your device boot from the Linux ISO, choose Try Ubuntu without installing and press the Enter key.
- You have to wait until the device gets booted completely in Linux ISO. After that, restart the system and remove the DVD or flash drive to boot into Windows.
- Once the system boot up in the Windows fully, check whether the Touchpad is working or still shows the same problem.
Tips To Avoid Dell Touchpad Not Working
Contact Official Support
In most cases, the Dell Touchpad Not Working issue can be resolved by using all the troubleshooting methods mentioned in this post.
If they didn’t help you, then check out some more tricks on Dell Communities, Reddit, and other popular sites. You can also visit the Dell Authorized Store and get your Touchpad issue fixed by any technician.
Is your newly purchased Dell Laptop showing this touchpad issue? If so, then contact the Dell Customer Support Team and ask them to replace it with another one.
Note: According to company norms, the warranty is only valid if you don’t disassemble the Dell Laptop on your own.
Final Words: Conclusion
To sum up everything, Dell laptops are the best ones in terms of maintaining the quality, so we don’t face any problems with them compared to other brands.
If the Touchpad of Dell systems trouble you, then start using the methods given above to troubleshoot it. Even you can contact us to clarify your doubts.
After fixing the problem, share your experiences with us through the comment box. We are also here to provide comprehensive guides on various other technical issues.
You just need to explain the problem that you’re facing on your system. We will come up with the best tips and tricks that can solve the issue.