Last updated on August 2nd, 2020 at 09:30 pm
Are you here to fix the “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue? Toshiba is a renowned brand for its laptop. This is a very common issue that Toshiba users are going through. Sometimes users keep their Toshiba keyboard locked by mistake. This can be the reason of this issue as well.
We can understand how devastating this can be at the time of urgent work. The issue can be with hardware or the culprit can be the software as well. Driver and misconfigured settings can be another reason here.
No need to worry as we are here with a fix after extensive research. Stay tuned with us and follow all the methods carefully. This is a fixable error.
Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Not Working: Problem Overview
Here, a user finds an issue “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working”. Either keyboard doesn’t get detected in windows. Some users are facing issues
with specific keys, which are not working. There can be various reasons behind this. Some of them are mentioned below.
Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Not Working: Related Problems
There are various related issues included under the “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working”. The basic reasons for these related problems are the same. We advise you to follow the methods in this article for these as well.
So, we are going to cover all the related problem in this post as well
We can understand the seriousness of this situation Before going for advanced troubleshooting steps, let’s try some basic fixes for “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue. Sometimes simple reasons cause problematic keyboards in your system.
Check on Keyboard for Dust Particles
This is surprising but it happens. Sometimes unwanted particles clog the keyboard keys. This makes some keys non-working in your keyboard.
Now to remove these dust particles, simply clean your Toshiba laptop keyboard. You can also visit any expert to get these dust particles out by opening up the keyboard completely. We advise you to not do this by yourself if you are not enough confident.
Once it is done, then turn on your system to check if the issue “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” got fixed or not.
Go for Full system Power cycle
The power cycle is like Force shut down simply. it cut-offs the whole power supply. Sometimes the issue is because of some minor things which get fixed by rebooting. Many users have reported that their laptop has got locked. This method will help you to unlock your Toshiba laptop keyboard.
Follow the below steps to do so:
- At first, check if there is any open program. Sae your work and close all the programs in your Toshiba Windows 10 laptop. Once done simply go for a force shut down. Just tap on the Power button for “30” seconds. Make sure there is no external connected device present.
- Once it is shut, just turn back your Toshiba laptop and remove its battery and wait for 5 minutes.
- Now put back the battery on your Toshiba laptop. Then turn it on.
Now try using your keyboard to check if the issue “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” got fixed or not. So, In case it doesn’t, go for our Advanced troubleshooting section.
Once you are done with basic troubleshooting, let’s try this section in case the issue “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” persists. We recommend you to follow all the below-mentioned methods carefully and orderly.
Steps To Fix Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Not Working
- Step-1 : Troubleshoot your Toshiba Keyboard
- Step-2 : Go for Enabling the Toshiba Keyboard
- Step-3 : Remove your Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Driver
- Step-4 : Go for Updating your Toshiba Keyboard Driver
- Step-5 : Go for Disabling the “Filter Keys” in your Toshiba Keyboard
- Step-6 : Go for the “Check for Updates” option
- Step 1
Troubleshoot your Toshiba Keyboard
Windows has its inbuilt utility which allows users to troubleshoot the inbuilt programs like Keyboard. This simply detects and fixes up the minor issue. In case the issue is minor it will get resolved. So, Make sure you are connected to the internet as this can require it while fixing if needed.
Follow below steps to troubleshoot your Toshiba laptop keyboard in Windows 10:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “I” to open up the Settings screen.
- Now, choose the “Update & Security” option. Then tap on the “Troubleshoot” option from the left pane.
- Look in the right pane and tap on the “Addition Troubleshooters” option available below.’
- Now tap on “Keyboards” under Find and Fix Problems heading. Choose “Run the Troubleshooter”. This will start the troubleshooting process, follow the on-screen instructions if pops up.
- Once finished, “Restart” your system.
Once it is done, check if it fixed the “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue or not. However, it is yet not fixed then go for our next method.
- Step 2
Go for Enabling the Toshiba Keyboard
Sometimes the keyboard gets disabled or misconfigured by mistake. As per some users, in their case, third party application was the reason. this can cause the “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue. We advise you to enable it from the Device manager settings.
Follow below-given steps to Enable the Toshiba Keyboard:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “R” to get the RUN screen. Now type “devmgmt.msc” and press enter to execute.
- This will open up the Device Manager window. Now look for the “Keyboards” option. Tap on it to expand and chose the Toshiba Keyboard driver under this.
- Right-tap on it and choose the “Enable Device” option.
Once it is done check if the issue “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” got fixed or not. But, In case it doesn’t go for our next method.
- Step 3
Remove your Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Driver
As per the user’s report, they found that there Toshiba keyboard drier was the actual culprit. This happens because of the corrupt or outdated Toshiba driver. To fix the “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue we recommend you uninstall the present driver then re-install in your system.
Follow the below steps to uninstall the keyboard driver:
- Follow Method 2 again up to Step 2.
- Now, right tap on the Toshiba keyboard driver and choose the “Uninstall Device” option.
- You may get a Confirmation prompt, just confirm it. then follow the onscreen instruction. This will take little time, wait until it gets finished.
- Once the uninstallation is finished, go for re-installing your Toshiba keyboard driver.
- On the same Device Manager Page, tap on the “Actions” tap available on the top. Choose “Scan for hardware changes” option.
- this will re-install the Toshiba keyboard driver in your system again.
Now just check if the issue with your Toshiba laptop keyboard got fixed or not. In case it is not then go for our next method.
- Step 4
Go for Updating your Toshiba Keyboard Driver
An outdated driver is often found to be culprit under the “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue. Updating fixes up the minor bugs and refreshes the whole configuration. You can download the latest driver from its official website entering your systems configuration and all. You can also update it simply from the system.
Follow below steps to update your Toshiba Keyboard driver:
- Follow Method 2 steps again up to step 2.
- Now, right tap on the Toshiba keyboard Driver and choose the “Update Device” option.
- You will get two options, go for the option “Search Automatically for Drivers”.
Note: In case you want a manual installation then choose the second option and select the downloaded driver file. Then simply follow the on-screen instructions until the installation gets finished. To download the latest drivers manually follow this link. Make sure you have your Toshiba laptop model or serial number with you. You can find it in the back of your laptop or under the “System Information”.
- This will start searching for the latest keyboard driver. Make sure you are connected to the internet. follow the onscreen instructions till it gets finished.
- Once done reboot your system.
Now, check if this hack fixed “Toshiba Laptop Keyboard not working” issue or not. In case it is not fixed yet, go for our next method.
- Step 5
Go for Disabling the “Filter Keys” in your Toshiba Keyboard
Sometimes filter keys conflicts with your Toshiba laptop keyboard. This causes the “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue. Many users reported that after turning off the filter keys they fixed the “Toshiba Laptop Keyboard not working” issue. This simply slows down the keyboard inputs and sometimes tricks the keyboard rates. Including affecting the keys or whole keyboard sometimes.
Follow below steps to disable you Toshiba laptop filter keys:
- Tap on “start” then choose “Settings”. You can also get settings Windows by pressing the Windows logo key with alphabet “I” on your external keyboard.
- Once the Settings window is there, just tap on the “Ease of Access” option.
- Go down and tap on the “Keyboards” option. Then turn off the “Filter Keys”.
- Once done, now “Restart” your system.
Now, the filter keys are disabled, check if the issue with your Toshiba laptop inbuilt keyboard got fixed or not. In case it still appears to go for our next method.
- Step 6
Go for the “Check for Updates” option
Sometimes a glitch in any third-party program can conflict with the other drivers. So, we advise you to go for a system update. System update simply downloads all the required and latest updates for system files. This can fix the present bug that is present in the system file. This has worked for many users out there. We advise you to follow this to fix the “Toshiba Laptop Keyboard not working” issue.
Follow the below-given steps to update your system:
- Open the “Settings” window by pressing the Windows logo key with “I”. or you can also search it via “Start”.
- Choose “Update & Security” option.
- Now tap on the “Check for updates” toggle available in the right pane.
- Wait until it finishes the checking and downloading of the latest updates. After finishing it will ask you to “Restart” the system to install these latest updates.
Once it is done, check if the issue “Toshiba laptop keyboard not working” issue got fixed or not.
But, In case it is still there then the issue can be with something else which needs an administrative action. We advise you to go for the Toshiba’s official support.
Tips To Avoid Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Not Working Problem
Contact Official Support
In case the issue “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue persists. We recommend you to contact Toshiba’s Official Support. Here, your issue will get fixed up, just set an appointment with them.
In this case, you may need to visit the nearest Toshiba service center to fix it. make sure you carry related documents in case your laptop is under warranty. Do not worry as this is a common and fixable issue.
Final Words: Conclusion
All the mentioned methods in this blog are true as per our knowledge. We advise you to start with basic troubleshooting steps. And do not forget to follow the “Tips to avoid” section to avoid keyboard-related issues in the future.
So, In case you get stuck at any step, let us know. Our team is very responsive to queries. Once you are done with fixing the “Toshiba Laptop keyboard not working” issue. Do share with us your views including the Method worked for you. Your feedback encourages us to work more enthusiastically.