Last updated on August 10th, 2020 at 05:38 am
One can’t afford the “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue in the challenging times like COVID-19. It is very disheartening for users who needs to access their laptop on a daily basis. People who are doing work from home often need to attend online meetings. Others who are habitual of Binge-watching has also got disappointed by this error.
As per users, windows 10 headphones not showing up in playback devices. Eventually leading to ‘laptop not detecting headphones windows 10’ error. They are getting this error with wired headphones as well as the Bluetooth based. Audio jack or systems configuration can be the culprit here. We have discussed the cause under the Problem Overview section.
We can understand the impact. Fortunately, this is a fixable problem and we are here with the extent of resolves. One of these will surely fix the “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue for you.
Laptop Not Detecting Headphones: Problem Overview
When a user plugs in their headphones in their Windows laptop. It simply doesn’t detect it. The connection doesn’t get established which prevents users from using their headphones.
Maybe the audio jack not detecting headphones because of some internal conflicts. There can be various causes as mentioned below.
Laptop Not Detecting Headphones: Related Problems
There are a few Related Problems based on Headphones are being observed. The basic cause of these is the same as of “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue. Do follow the provided methods to fix the following Related problems as well.
The cause of this issue can be both hardware and software. There are chances that, might be your headphone is damaged. Wired headphones get damaged internally sometimes. Sometimes the issue is with the connecting port. Let’s have a detailed glance at it.
Check on your headphone and Jack
Check out the wire of our headphones to make sure that it is not torn out. In case there is any dent then that might be the reason behind the occurrence of such an issue. If all is well here then look for the next steps.
Now, connect your headphone in another device. In case it doesn’t work that means the fault is in your headphone.
If it works that means there is some system glitch. To fix it follow our article until the very end. One of these methods will fix the “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue.
Clean your jack, in case it is clogged with dust particles. It will lead you to this error.
Go for Complete Power cut
Most of the peripheral related issues get fixed by this simple trick if done properly. Sometimes the issue is because of some other background services. Like other services might be conflicting with your headphone’s detection process.
The power cycle refreshes the whole system and its configuration. This ends up all the running services and fixes the minor bugs.
- Take out all the externally connected peripherals from your laptop.
- Tap on the Power button for 30 to 40 seconds, till it gets off.
- Now, take the battery of your laptop out. In case it has an inbuilt battery, you can visit the websites of your laptop’s respective brand. There you will get help regarding opening the inbuilt battery. Else, no need to worry skip this step.
- Now just leave your laptop for 5 minutes without any external interruption.
- Afterward, insert the battery then connect your charging adapter and let it fully charged.
- Once it is done, turn on your laptop and connect your Headphone to check if it started working or not.
If the issue “Laptop not detecting headphones” gets fixed then conflictions were the cause. If it persists then follow the methods provided under the “Advanced troubleshooting” section.
Step To Fix Laptop Not Detecting Headphones
A laptop not detecting headphones in Windows 10 can be because of the various internal issues. We have included advanced methods to fix up the driver-based issues and others. It is our advice to follow these methods in the given order.
- Step-1 : Go for Audio Troubleshooter
- Step-2 : Uninstall and go for Scan for Hardware Changes
- Step-3 : Head into Realtek Audio Manager
- Step-4 : Check on the Default Sound format and Exclusive Control
- Step-5 : Set your Headphone as default device
- Step-6 : Go for Updating your Audio Driver
- Step-7 : Go for the Driver version used before by your Windows
- Step 1
Go for Audio Troubleshooter
There are chances of Driver’s failure while playing the audio. To fix this minor bug, Windows troubleshooter can help you out. We will use this troubleshooter specifically for Audio.
Follow below steps to run this Windows troubleshooter:
- Click on the start menu and go to the settings.
- Look for the “Update & Security” option then tap on it.
- In the left pane, choose “Troubleshoot” option.
- In the right pane, tap on the “Playing Audio” option and tap on the “Run the troubleshooter” tab.
- Tap “Next” then choose the headphone device you are trying to fix. Then tap the “Next” button. Follow the on-screen instructions until it gets finished.
Once finished, connect your headphone to check if the “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue got fixed or not. If not then go for our next method.
- Step 2
Uninstall and go for Scan for Hardware Changes
This method usually fixes up any glitch if it appeared because of System file glitch. Here we will uninstall all the Realtek audio drivers. Whichever default driver you have in your system, perform this by selecting that.
Follow the below steps to perform this method:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “X”. now choose “Device Manager” from the popped-up list.
- Locate “Sound, Video and Game Controllers” and tap on it to expand. Now right tap on the Sound driver available there and choose the “Uninstall” option. Follow the on-screen guidance until it finishes the uninstallation.
- Once done, look for the “Audio inputs and outputs” option, tap on it to expand. Choose the devices available under this, right tap on it and choose “Uninstall”. Do this for each one.
Note: Bluetooth headphone users, please follow this one also including the above steps. Look for “Bluetooth”, tap on it and expand it. Right-tap on “Realtek Bluetooth Adapter” (Name can be different in your case, choose whatever you found under this). Choose “Uninstall” option to remove. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Now Tap on Windows logo key with alphabet “R”. Write “appwiz.cpl” to open the program list directly.
- Locate your Audio Driver, for example, “Realtek Audio Drivers”. Right-tap on it and choose “Uninstall” toggle. Any message prompts just continue by allowing. Follow the on-screen instructions until it gets uninstalled.
- Again, open the Device Manager using Step 1. Tap on the “Action” tab available on top and choose “Scan for hardware changes”. This will start installing the uninstalled hardware.
Hopefully, this method has fixed the “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue. In case still, it appears then there might be some deeper damage, go for Contact official support section to get help.
- Step 3
Head into Realtek Audio Manager
In case you are using Realtek HD Audio Manager. That might be the culprit here. We advise you to disable the panel jack detection. As the Audio manager is responsible for the management of panel jacks.
This is a very unexpected cause but as per some users, this has fixed PC not detecting headphones issue for them. We advise you to give it a try.
Follow the below steps to disable this feature:
- Tap on Windows logo key with alphabet “S”. Type “Control Panel” in the search box and tap on it to open.
- Locate “Hardware and Sound”, tap on it to open.
- Locate “Realtek HD Audio Manager” in the right pane, tap on it.
- Now look for “Device Advanced Settings” and tap on it.
- In the popped-up screen go for “Separate all input jacks as independent input devices” option. Once done tap on “Ok” toggle to apply it.
If you have an older version of Realtek: After Step 3, continue with below-given step 4 and Step 5.
- Switch to the “Connector” settings (This is applicable if you have an older version)
- Look for “Disable front panel jack detection”, mark the checkbox available there.
- Close the window and Restart your laptop.
Once the system turns on, connect your headphone to check if your laptop detects it or not. In case the issue is yet unresolved, go for our next hack.
- Step 4
Check on the Default Sound format and Exclusive Control
The sound format can be the culprit here. Sometimes the set sound format in system conflicts with the headphone. Altering the sound format can fix the “Laptop not detecting headphones” error. Many users have found this simple hack advantageous for them.
Follow below-given steps to Alter the default sound format:
- Follow Method 3 up to Step 2 then continue with the below-mentioned steps.
- Locate the “Sound” option in the right pane and tap on it.
- In the Playback tap, Double-tap on the “Default device” available there.
- A Properties box will pop up, switch to the “Advanced” tap. Look for the “Default Formate” heading. Choose any other format by tapping on it.
- Also, look for “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” and unmark it.
- Tap on the “Apply” toggle then press “OK”.
Once done, refresh your laptop and connect your headphone to make sure it is working or not. In case it is not then go for our next method.
- Step 5
Set your Headphone as default device
Sometimes simply setting it as default device fixes “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue. Usually, we use different headphones that create confusion causing minor glitches. Setting as a default headphone device can fix this issue.
Follow the below steps to set headphone as default:
- Follow Method 3 up to Step 2 then continue with the following steps.
- Locate “Sound” in the right pane. Tap on it, a box will pop up.
- In the Playback tab, right-tap in the empty space and choose “Show Disabled devices”. It will display the list of disabled devices if any.
- Locate your headphone, choose it, and right tap on it. Then select “Enable” then tap on “Set as default”.
Once done connect your Headphone to check if it got detected or not. In case it is yet not detected then switch to our next method to fix Laptop not recognizing headphones.
- Step 6
Go for Updating your Audio Driver
An outdated driver is the cause of the issue most of the time. As per users after updating their sound driver the issue got fixed. In case you are using some other driver than the default one. Then you can update that also to fix the “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue.
Follow the given steps to perform this method:
- Follow Method 3 up to step 2. Then continue with the below-given steps.
- Locate the “Sound” option in the right pane and tap on it.
- Double Tap on the headphone you are troubleshooting from the list.
- A box will pop up, now under the General tab. Look for “Properties” toggle and tap on it.
- Again, a box will pop up, again under the General tab. Tap on the “Change Settings” button. If any administration permission box pops up, just continue.
- Now, switch to the “Driver” tab and tap on “Update Driver” toggle. Choose “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
- Downloading will get started, wait till it finishes the installation.
Once done, check on your headphone if it started getting detected on your laptop. If not then go for our next method.
- Step 7
Go for the Driver version used before by your Windows
In this, we will use one of the previously used Audio drivers. Windows always save the file. This will work for you in case the issue has started after an update or because of the driver.
Follow the below steps to perform this fix:
- Follow Method 6 up to step 5 then continue with the below.
- Switch to the “Driver” tab and tap on “Update Driver” toggle. Two options will be there, go for “Browse my computer for driver software”.
- On the next page tap on the “Let me pick from a list of available drivers”.
- You will see options, choose High Definition Audio Device.
- Now tap on the “Next” toggle. If any prompt appears on-screen follow them.
Once done, check if the issue “Laptop not detecting headphones” got fixed or not. If not then go for the next method.
Tips To Avoid Laptop Not Detecting Headphones
Contact Official Support
Official support can help you out with the “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue. Contact the respective brand’s official customer support like Dell support, HP support, Asus Support, etc.. At first tries the online help, if that doesn’t fix the issue.
Then, reach out for offline support by visiting your nearest service center. Do carry the required documents if it is under warranty. It is a minor issue, do not worry.
Final Words: Conclusion
We recommend you to follow each step carefully according to the guidance provided. We hope that our hard work will get a smile on your face. If you stuck anywhere, consult us via comment.
Once you got rid of the “Laptop not detecting headphones” issue. Leave us your valuable comment including the trick worked for you.
Keep visiting our blog!