Dell Laptop showing black screen even after turning it on? Don’t panic! We are here to help you in fixing the Dell Laptop Black Screen issue.
Dell is the world’s best multinational computer technology company. It is efficient in manufacturing and selling desktops and laptops. Also, Dell provides various other services.
Million number of users are using Dell systems, both desktop computers and laptops. As it is a top brand, it troubles the user while working on it.
In some cases, the user will see a black screen or dim screen, or no display when they turn on the laptop. The user falls under dilemma and thinks about how to fix the error.
Just go through this post until the bottom. You will find valuable information and methods to resolve the error.
Dell Laptop Black Screen: Problem Overview
Users use different companies of desktops or laptops. All of them show issues when we maintain it in the wrong way. But the system troubles us even though we properly use it, such as updating drivers, OS, etc.
There are many error messages that encounter while startup, booting, and working on it. One such problem that most of the users see is a black screen or Black Screen of Death errors.
Dell users are most familiar with this black screen problem. That’s why we came up with this post. You will find the most advanced troubleshooting steps to fix the Dell Laptop Black Screen error.
There are multiple reasons for the occurrence of this problem on your laptop. They are:
When you press the power button, you see the light that indicates the laptop is ON. But you will not see anything on your screen. It means that there is a problem either with the hardware or software.
In this situation, the user unable to work on their Dell Laptops. So, it is necessary to resolve the issue with the below methods.
Dell Laptop Black Screen: Related Problems
This section explains the issues that are related to this Dell Laptop Black Screen error. Read and understand the errors to resolve them whenever you face them.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
In the first case, you have to use the following basic troubleshooting methods. It will help you in fixing the Dell Laptop Black Screen error.
Check the RAM
The first main troubleshooting step that you have to follow is checking the RAM. If there are any issues with your RAM, you will see this Dell Laptop Black Screen error.
When the RAM slot is damaged, it will not show anything on the screen. At the same time, the corrupted RAM leads to this error on your laptops.
That’s why check whether the RAM is working or not. For that,
- To confirm if the slots are in good condition, follow this tip. If the laptop contains dual RAM slots, unplug both of them. After that, check each slot by inserting the RAM.
- If the slots are perfect, then try verifying the RAM. Place the RAM in other devices and check whether they are detecting or not.
- In case if there are working well, then the problem might be another.
Check CMOS Battery
Once you have done with the RAM checking, verify the CMOS battery of your laptop working or not. It is one of the main hardware components in turning on the laptop.
The battery gets expired after using it for a long time. So, open the back-side of the laptop and replace the CMOS battery with the new one.
You need to be very careful while changing the battery because the slot might damage. Even though you can’t any image on the screen, it might be some other issue.
Connect To The External Monitor
After going through the above methods, if you can’t resolve the error, we suggest you connect to the external monitor. Many users are seeking it as the best tip to stop their essential works.
So, connect the Dell Laptop to another display panel and check that the desktop icons are visible. Or else you still see the black screen on your monitor.
Check the Motherboard
The motherboard is an essential component to work any system correctly. Due to many cases, the motherboard does not perform its functions.
In such a case, the Dell Laptop users can see these black screen errors. So, it is very important for the users to check if the motherboard is working or not.
We suggest the user to contact the professionals for this method. The reason is removing and inserting the motherboard is a crucial task. Without experience in handling these tasks, it gets damaged.
If the motherboard is perfect, then check-out the following methods to fix the issue.
Steps To Fix Dell Laptop Black Screen Issue
When the basic methods do not help you, try out the advanced techniques listed in this section. Execute the guidelines as we provided.
- Step 1
Reboot Graphics Drivers
One of the main reasons for the occurrence of this Dell Laptop Black Screen is the connection issue. When the graphics card driver and laptop connection is bad, you will see these Black Screen of Death errors.
So, restart the graphics driver immediately to get rid of this problem. To do so, you have to follow the below steps.
- Press Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B keys on your keyboard.
- Thus, it starts rebooting the graphics drivers on your laptop. But you have to wait until the task gets completed successfully.
- Most probably, the user can see the image on their laptop display.
- But there are some instances where they still see the black screen on the Dell laptop. If so, jump to the next method.
- Step 2
Update Graphics Drivers
If restarting the graphics card driver can’t solve the problem, then updating might fix it. Why are waiting for? Use the below guidelines to update the Graphics Card.
- Press Windows and R keys at the same time to view the Run dialog.
- After that, type devmgmt.msc command and click the OK button.
- Now, choose the display adapter on the device manager.
- In the next step, select the Graphics Driver and right-click on it.
- From the list, click the Update Driver option.
- It opens a new window where you need to go with the Search automatically for updated driver software option.
- Follow a few on-screen instructions to start updating your Graphics Driver with the latest versions.
You can also use IObit Driver Booster to update the Graphics Driver automatically on your laptop.
- Step 3
Shut Down Forcefully and Restart it
Still, you face the Dell Laptop Black Screen error. Then go with the forceful shut down of your laptop. To know that, read the below steps.
- First of all, remove the external peripherals (USBs, printers, and scanners) connected to your Dell Laptop.
- Next, press and hold the power button for at least 10 or 20 seconds.
- Until and unless it completely shut down the laptop, avoid restarting it.
- Finally, reboot the system and see the black screen error is fixed.
- Step 4
Run Dell Laptop in Safe Mode
By running the system in safe mode, many users have fixed this black screen error. So, we recommend you run your Windows 10 in a safe mode.
Click here to know how to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode.
- Step 5
If the Explorer.exe stops running on your laptop, these black screen errors appear. You will not see the desktop icons when the explorer.exe is not working properly.
To fix this Dell Laptop Black Screen, restart the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) on your system.
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys.
- By default, it opens in the Processes tab. But you need to open the Details tab by clicking on it.
- Now, you will see a list of executables files running on your laptop.
- Select the explorer.exe from the list and right-click on it and select the restart from the option.
- Finally, reboot the Dell Laptop and verify the black screen disappears or not.
- Step 6
As we already said that the corrupted BIOS cause this Dell Laptop Black Screen error. To fix this problem, we advise the user to reset the BIOS of your laptop. For that, do the below guidelines.
- Press the power button to restart the Dell laptop.
- The moment you see the Dell Logo on your screen, immediately press the F2 or F12 keys continuously.
- Now, press the F9 function key to load the default settings. Even you can use the Alt and F keys to load the default settings
- After that, press the ESC key to come out of the BIOS screen. Make sure that you have chosen the Save and Exit option.
- After saving the changes, restart the laptop to allow the BIOS settings to reset the changes.
- Now, the user might not see the black screen on their laptops after restarting it.
- Step 7
Suppose the black screen still appears on your laptop. Then resetting the BIOS will not work-out. The next tip that will help you is updating the BIOS with the latest versions.
To update the BIOS, you have to visit the official Dell Support Page. From there, you need to download and install them by going through a few steps.
By updating the BIOS, you will definitely fix the Dell Laptop Black Screen error.
- Step 8
Reinstall Windows OS
If none of the above methods will fix the issue, then reinstalling Windows is the only way. Performing a clean reinstall of your Windows 10 can surely solve these black screen errors.
But the data or information present on your laptop might be lost due to this reinstallation. That’s why we recommend the user to backup the essential files and data before going to reinstall the Windows.
Use any top best data recovery software like Wondershare Recoverit, to back up the data.
Tips To Avoid Dell Laptop Black Screen Problem
Contact Official Support
Most probably, the user can fix the Dell Laptop Black Screen issue either with the basic troubleshooting steps or advanced methods. According to the research we did on this error, many users have solved it without any doubts.
If you can’t find any difference even after applying all those tricks, the problem is with the hardware, but not with the software. So, we suggest those people to visit the Dell official forums or communities.
In the final case, you need to visit the authorized Dell service providers. Or else contact the Dell Support Team through email or the official website. By the end, you will fix the Dell Laptop Black Screen error.
Final Words: Conclusion
We hope that this blog will help you in fixing the Dell Laptop Black Screen error. Either with one or more methods listed above, you can get rid of the issue completely.
These techniques are easy-to-use and without any professionals. But be careful while checking the RAM and CMOS battery. When you are unable to do it, take the help of the technical persons.
If you solved this Dell Laptop No Display (Black Screen) error with any other method, feel free to share with us.
Drop a message or comment to provide any suggestions or any tech help.