Last Updated on March 29, 2020 by Admin
Simple and Easy Guide on How to Fix Asus Laptop Keyboard Not Working Problem
Are you also facing the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem? I am using Asus VivoBook 15 X512 DA model. I am a big fan of Asus and I love the amazing experience I am having with my Asus laptop. It has a fast start up, runs applications smoothly and processes data at a very fast rate.
Recently keyboard on my Asus laptop stopped working. Some other people were also asking about the same issue. That is why I am writing this blog to share the ways I find useful to fix my Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. The methods in this blog are tested and can help you in fixing the Asus laptop keyboard problem. Read this blog until you fix your Asus laptop. All the best!
Asus Laptop Keyboard Not Working Problem Overview
The user of Asus laptop becomes unable to use the keyboard and type anything on the computer in the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. Neither you can type nor give any instructions to the computer. Either the keyboard goes undetected or some settings prevent the Asus laptop to communicate with the laptop keyboard. Read this detailed blog to fix this problem yourself with Asus laptop.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Asus Laptop Keyboard Not Working
Before performing the complicated steps we should give a try to these simple steps. If keyboard starts to work by performing these steps then it will save a lot of time otherwise we will go further in details.
We hope that your Asus laptop keyboard starts to work after you perform these above methods. If the keyboard isn’t fixed with above methods then try the methods given below.
Steps to Fix Asus Laptop Keyboard Not Working
The steps given in this blog are tested with Asus laptops and will help you in fixing the laptop keyboard not working problem. We recommend performing these steps in the order they are given.
- Revert Changes in Keyboard Settings on Asus Laptop
- Checking the Date and Time Settings
- Region and Language
- Update the Keyboard Driver
- Reinstall the Keyboard Driver
- Run the Troubleshoot Wizard for Windows
- Uninstall Multiple Keyboards on Laptop
- Discontinue Using Public Wifi
- Check Your Asus Laptop for Virus
- Update Windows OS on Asus Laptop
Revert Changes in Keyboard Settings on Asus Laptop
Keyboard settings are crucial for proper performance of keyboard on laptop. Any changes made by you or any other third part app can lead to the Asus keyboard not working problem. Turning off and on the filter keys can help revert the keyboard settings and fix the Asus laptop keyboard problem. Follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Start menu.
- Now click on settings.
- Click on Ease of Access icon.
- Now select the Keyboard option.
- Turn off the Filter key functions.
- Restart the Windows 10 PC.
- Turn on the Filter key functions.
When you will again turn on the filter keys in the settings your Asus laptop keyboard not working problem should be fixed. If laptop keyboard still not working then read the next paragraph.
Checking the Date and Time Settings
It is a fact that that incorrect date and time settings causes problems with keyboard functionalities. Date and time settings can change itself because of several technical reasons causing the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. If you also find that date or time settings are incorrect than perform these below given steps.
- Right click on the Time in the bottom right corner.
- Select the Adjust Date/Time option.
- Now select the Date and Time Pane from the new Window.
Note: Turn of Set time automatically option, Also turn off the set time zone automatically option
- Click on the Change button under Change Date and Time section.
- Now enter the correct date and time
Once you have set date and time to correct timing the laptop keyboard issue should be fixed. If you are still facing the problem then read the next paragraph.
Region and Language
Sometimes a third party app can change the Region and Language settings on Asus laptop. But such apps aren’t able to change the settings as a whole. Such discrepancy in these settings can lead to Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. Follow the below given process step by step to correctly set the Region and Language settings.
- Click on the Start menu & select Settings.
- Choose the Region and Language settings option.
- Click on the Region option from the left panel.
- Choose Your Country Region.
- Select Language from Left panel.
- Select your language from the list.
- If you can’t find your language then.
- Click on the Add Your Language option.
- Also select the Set as Default option.
To check and change the region settings do the following
- Type language in the Start menu
- Click on Region and Language settings
- Select the Region option
- Select the correct region
- Make sure that Regional format data matches the Region selected
Correcting Region and Language settings if they were not already correct can fix the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. If not then perform the next method.
Update the Keyboard Driver
Out of date keyboard drivers may cause the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. Generally, the keyboard drivers are up to date but a manual update may be required in some cases. For example, sometimes a recent update may fail to install on the system for technical reasons. In this case, updating the keyboard driver can fix the keyboard not working problem. Follow these steps.
- Make sure your internet is connected.
- Click on the Start menu and type Device Manager.
- Scroll down the window to find keyboards.
- Expand the keyboard and right click on PS/2 Keyboard, & Click on Update Driver.
- Select the browse internet for drivers option.
Let the system update the driver. This may take few minutes depending on the speed of your internet connection. Once the update is done restart the Asus laptop. Keyboard should start to work. If the keyboard is still not working then try the next method.
Reinstall the Keyboard Driver
Due to activities performed by other software, lack of space or third party application interference, the keyboard driver may get damaged. Reinstalling the keyboard driver is only option left in such case. Perform the below given steps to reinstall the Asus keyboard driver on laptop.
- Open the Start menu and type Control Panel.
- Click on the Device Manager option.
- Now expand the keyboards menu.
- Right click on the PS/2 keyboard and Select the Uninstall option.
When the uninstallation is complete, restart the Asus laptop and your OS will automatically reinstall the keyboard driver. This fresh installation should solve the Asus laptop keyboard not working issue. If not then move on to next section.
Run the Troubleshoot Wizard for Windows
The built-in troubleshoot wizard can help in fixing the Asus laptop keyboard not working issue. This wizard diagnoses computer system and detects any software or hardware related issues which may cause laptop keyboard problem. Perform these steps on your computer to run the troubleshoot wizard.
- Click on the Start menu.
- Type troubleshoot in the box.
- Click on the Troubleshoot option.
- Now Select the Keyboard.
- Click on the run Troubleshooting.
Let the troubleshoot wizard detect any problems which may be causing the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem and fix it. In case the troubleshoot wizard does not detects any problem then read the next segment.
Uninstall Multiple Keyboards on Laptop
Many people often use additional keyboard with their laptop. They install an additional USB or wireless keyboard to their Asus laptop. Installing multiple keyboards can also result in Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. Try these steps given here.
- Click on the Start menu.
- Type device and click on the Device Manager option.
- Expand the Keyboards option from the menu.
- Right click on the Keyboard you need to uninstall.
Once you have uninstalled the other keyboard from Asus laptop, the laptop keyboard should work just fine. Once the problem is solved you can again reinstall and start using USB or wireless keyboard. If you do not have multiple keyboards or your problem still exists then check out the next method.
Discontinue Using Public Wifi
If you are used to connect your Asus laptop with a public wifi at a nearby coffee shop or restaurant then wait. Do you know that it can cause the Asus laptop keyboard not working fine issue? Public wifi compromises security at many levels. It can give a malicious hacker the control of your laptop. Such people can control your laptop from a secure distance disabling your keyboard and other functionalities.
Hence we strongly recommend to stop using Asus laptop with free public wifi. If this is not the case then read the next segment to try another method to fix the laptop keyboard not working issue.
Check Your Asus Laptop for Virus
You must make sure that your computer is not affected by any virus when you are facing the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. Virus is a malicious segment of code which can disturb the normal functions on any computer. It may also cause the laptop keyboard problem.
- Double click on the Antivirus icon on your desktop.
- You can also launch the antivirus from the system tray icon.
- Click on the Scan option.
- Now run a full system scan (this may take few hours).
Let the antivirus program run the scan and delete any virus you may found on your computer. When you will restart Asus laptop the keyboard should be fixed. If no virus is found on your computer then try the next method.
- Step 10
Update Windows OS on Asus Laptop
If you are using Windows OS on Asus laptop then you must keep your version of OS up to date. An out of date OS can create problems for hardware like keyboard and become the reason for Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. Follow these steps here to update OS
- Click the Start menu.
- Select the Settings option.
- Now Select the Update and Security icon.
- Now choose the check for updates button.
The computer will itself check and install any pending updates.
Tips to Avoid Asus Laptop Keyboard Not working
The Asus laptop keyboard not working problem can occur again. You can prevent this problem to again disturb your Asus laptop if you will follow our advice. Take care of these simple things to make sure you are not bothered with the keyboard issue in the future.
Taking care of these simple steps will make sure that you do not face problems with keyboard on your Asus laptop.
Contact Official Asus Support for Laptop
We have covered all major ways to fix the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem. But, if the methods in this blog are unable to fix your laptop keyboard then the problem may be lying with the hardware. You should contact the official Asus support for laptop without wasting time. Such hardware issues needs to be assessed as soon as possible.
Final Words : Conclusion
Our blog is designed to help you with fixing the Asus laptop keyboard not working problem in easy and simple steps. The steps are given carefully in the order to prevent any conflict and cover all major issues. Please let us know your thoughts about this blog in the comments below. Your feedback help us improve our work.