Hp Printer won’t Scan Troubleshooting Guide: Fix Your Hp Printer Scan Issue With This Easy Step By Step Guide.
Do you want to get rid of the “HP Printer won’t scan” issue? As we know HP is a renowned brand for its versatile products. Generally, it produces all in one printer which includes printing as well as scanning
Hp printers are known for their amazing all-rounder feature. Its user-friendly and cost-effective nature has made it popular among users. It has many successors like HP 6500A Plus Officejet Printer, HP Officejet Pro 251DW Inkjet, HP 1213NF LaserJet Printer among many more.
But as the saying nothing is perfect, HP printers’ users are facing various glitches. As per users, they are unable to scan the documents. Some users have reported that they have started facing such issues after upgrading their Windows operating system to 10. Some are facing the “HP Printer won’t scan” issue in another Windows OS like 7, 8 as well.
Do not worry, as we have included the workable methods after extensive research. We advise you to follow all the methods orderly and carefully.
HP Printer Won’t Scan: Problem Overview
Under “HP Printer won’t scan” issue the user is unable to perform a scan. Some users have reported that they are able to print but can’t scan their documents. Some find errors while establishing communication with the scanning device and HP imaging device. In some cases, it just shows “Computer not found” or “Computer not detected” error.
Some users reported that when they are trying to scan it says “Scan to computer no longer activated” or Currently unavailable. In some cases, the scanner doesn’t get initialized or not found.
There can be various reason behind such issue, some of them are listed below:
HP Printer Won’t Scan: Related Problems
After deep research, we have found various related terms for the same issue. Users are trying to found solutions for the below-mentioned problems as well. These are directly or indirectly connected with these methods.
We advise you to go for these troubleshooting steps for any of the below-displayed issue as well.
We can understand how devastating can be the “HP Printer won’t scan” issue can be. Scanner’s unreachable kind of situation frustrates while doing any urgent work. But we have included various methods, we advise you to go for these basic things before trying Advanced level troubleshoot.
Check on the External chords
First things first, simply check out the connection cable and ports you are using for your HP printer. Sometimes these things interfere in using complete features of a product. Make sure you are using a compatible port.
Performing Power Cycle of System and Printer
Now go for a complete power cut, this simply fixes the minor glitches. This action will refresh the system drivers and files. In case the issue is because of some third-party application’s minor interference, it will get fixed.
This power cycle includes Printer as well. Sometimes this simple action fixes the “HP Printer won’t scan” error. It simply refreshes the configuration settings of the printer.
- Switch off the power supply of your printer, system, and other external devices if connected. Also, remove Wi-fi connections right now. Unplug chords and wait for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Now just plug the chords in the socket and at first turn on your system and connect printer and Wi-fi. Now just try to scan your documents normally to check whether it is working or not. Also, try to check the documents present in your e-mail.
In minor situations this works, in case it doesn’t work for you then you require some major fixes. Please head to our next section.
Steps To Fix HP Printer Won’t Scan Problem
If there is no external or hardware related issue found then just be ready to apply advanced level troubleshooting steps. We have included various scanner problems and solutions to fix the “HP Printer won’t scan” issue. So, let’s start in order with Method 1.
- Step 1
Compatibility Check and Downgrading the OS
In case you have started facing the HP printer won’t scan issue after upgrading your windows OS to 10. Here compatibility issues can be the reason.
To find it out just go to the HP printer’s website and switch to windows 10 compatible printer page using your browser. Expand the list and look for your printers’ model. If it is not available that means it is not compatible with Windows 10.
In this case, you have to replace your printer with the new one. In case you do not want to buy a new one then go for our next step.
Downgrade Your Windows OS:
One more thing you can do, you can downgrade your system in the previous version OS. As after upgrading to Windows 10, there is an option available to downgrade it to the previous version within 10 days. In case you are under this tenure then we advise you to downgrade your system using below steps:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “I” to open the settings screen.
- Choose the “Update & Security” option there. Now tap on the “Recovery” option present in the left pane.
- Now look into the right pane and look for “Go back to Windows 8.1” (It can be 8 or as per your previous version). Just tap on the “Get Started” toggle available below this.
After this just follow up on-screen instructions and make sure you are connected to the power supply. Do not interfere in between this process. Just wait till it gets completed. Once it is done turn on your system and sign in with your administrative account if required.
Try using your HP printer’s scanner to check if he issues got fixed. This will fix the issue if it is because of compatibility.
- Step 2
HP Printer Package Reinstallation
Some users have reported that after reinstalling the HP printer software the issue got fixed. Like in case your printer is compatible with windows 10 but still facing issues that means the drivers are still outdated. In this case, the driver will deny responding. To fix this just upgrade the printer driver by reinstalling it.
Follow the below steps to perform reinstallation:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “R” and type “appwiz.cpl” and enter.
- Tap on the “Programs and Features” option
- Right-click on your Hp printer’s software. choose “Uninstall”.
- Once it is done restart your windows 10 PC.
After this lets head to remove HP printer from the “Printers & Scanners” list.
- Now type “Printer & Scanner” in your start search box. Tap on it to open.
- In the right pane choose your HP printer. Tap on “Remove Device” toggle. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish this.
- Now to download your Printers software manually, go to the HP support site. Once the page opens up choose the “Printer” category.
- A search box will there, type your printers model number under “Enter your product name”.
- Now the software and driver related page will open up. Here tap on “Choose a different OS” toggle present there and choose your Windows version (Windows 10 32 or 64 bit) and operating system (Windows). Once it is done tap on “Change” toggle present there.
- The required driver will be available there with a “Download” option. Tap on it to download.
- Once Downloading is finished, just go to your systems download folder and tap on it to open.
- Double-tap on the .exe file to install it. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation.
Once it is done, check whether the issue “HP printer won’t scan” got fixed or not. If it persists go for our next method.
- Step 3
Go for Print & Scan Doctor
HP has it’s Print and scan Doctor application to fix the “HP Printer won’t scan” issue. This troubleshooter is able to fix issues related to printing or scanning up to some extent.
Follow the below steps to download and run this program:
- Make sure you have connected your HP printer with your system.
- Now download HP Print and Scan Doctor troubleshooter file from the HP support site.
- Once it is downloaded, go to your download folder. Double click on the .exe file and tap on “Start” and opt your HP printer (faulty one).
- Go for the option “Fix Scanning” available there.
- The troubleshooter will start detecting the issue. Once it is done it will display the result.
- In case any red “X” icon is there then that might be the cause of your HP printer won’t scan issue. In this case, follow the on-screen instruction provided by the troubleshooter. You can also tap on “Online help (Recommended)” toggle.
Once it is done check whether your HP Printer started scanning or not. In case it is still not scanning go for our next method.
- Step 4
Enable the Windows Image Acquisition Service
Image Acquisition service of windows plays an essential role in the scanning process. As per some users after enabling their Windows Image Acquisition service the issue got fixed.
Follow the below steps to enable this service:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “R” to open Run box. Write “services.msc” in it followed by the enter key.
- Now look for “Windows Image Acquisition” and double-tap on it. A box will pop up.
- Now look for the “Startup type” option and choose “Automatic” and press OK toggle then Apply.
Once it is done check if the “HP Printer won’t scan” issue got fixed or not. In case it is not then go for our next method.
- Step 5
Turn off the Firewall
In the case of Network Printer, the windows firewall can be the culprit. It simply blocks the ports including the communication. This results in an unresponsive scanner.
Many users have found that their issue of not scanning in email etc got fixed just by turning the Firewall off. Follow below steps to turn off the Windows Defender Firewall:
- Type “Windows Defender Firewall” in the search box present in your Windows 10 taskbar.
- A window will open up, in the left pane tap on “Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off” option.
- Now mark on the “Turn off Windows Defender Firewall” option.
Once it is done to check whether the issue “HP Printer won’t scan” got fixed or not. In case it persists go for our next method.
- Step 6
Go for your HP Printer Reset
Some models of HP printer include the reset option. This option will factory reset your HP Printers configuration. The steps can be different for different models, we advise you to follow the manual guide you have.
Generally, reset to default option will there on the HP printers control panel section. In case your model has this reset option then go for it. This might well work for you for minor glitches.
- Step 7
Go for SFC and DISM scan
System File Checker is the best way to know if there is any missing file or corrupt file issue. This generally finds out and fixes up the minor issues.
Follow below steps to Run System File Checker program in Windows 10:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “X” and choose “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the list. Or “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” option.
- Now type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” command followed by the Enter key. This will take time, wait patiently till it gets finished.
- Once it is done, type “sfc/scannow” and press Enter key. Let this finish now.
- Once it is done just exit and then restart your system.
In case you are still facing issues, we advise you to go for the Official support of HP printers.
Tips To Avoid HP Printer won’t scan Problem
Contact Official Support
After trying all the fixes, if still “HP Printer won’t scan” issue is there, then we advise you to go for official support. HP printer’s official support executives will help you out with this.
You can also visit your nearest service center if available to fix this. Make sure you have all the required details with you.
Final Words: Conclusion
We hope our hard work had worked for you. All the enclosed methods have been pre-tested by our experts. We advise you to go for all the methods carefully to fix the “HP Printer won’t scan” issue. In case you face any issue in between do contact us via the comment section below.
If your issue gets fixed, don’t forget to share it with us. We are always waiting for your valuable feedback.