Is your surface is not Connecting to WiFi? You can fix it in a few minutes, Just read this post & follow this easy Guide.
Surface not connecting to WIFI is a technical problem that has annoyed many Surface laptop users around the globe. It prevents the user from using the internet. This problem can be fixed easily. You Just need to follow the simple step by step guide suggested in this blog for troubleshooting different kinds of problems causing Surface not connecting to WIFI. This guide helps solve WIFI connection problem with all surface models – Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Laptop & Surface Go. Let’s check out this post to know How to Fix it?
Surface Not Connecting To WIFI: Problem Overview
Surface not connecting to wifi is an issue that is common across all Microsoft surface models Like Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Laptop & Surface Go. There could be several reasons which may cause surface not connecting to wifi. by. The problem can be with either the Surface device or in your wifi router.
What may be the reason for Surface not connecting to wifi, we will fix it in this post in the most explanatory way so that you could fix it on your own. Users of Microsoft surface device frequently searching for the solution of Surface not connecting to WiFi for few specific models like Surface Pro, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro (5th Gen), Surface Pro 6, Surface Book, Surface Laptop, Surface Go. If you are a user of any of these surface models you will be able to fix this issue.
Before we get into the technical complexities of the Surface laptop and the router, we should look for simple things. Sometimes, a simple issue can cause the Surface not connecting to wifi issue. Let us run a check for these things before we go further in the details.
After checking all the above, now you need to Restart Both Wifi router & your surface device once. Check the time & date of your surface device is correct. Sometimes due to the wrong date & time, this problem occurs. To adjust date & time > Right-click on the clock, right hand side bottom corner > Select Adjust Date/time
The above steps should solve a simple problem. If, still your Surface not connecting to WIFI then you should try the methods given below in this blog.
Steps to Fix Surface not connecting to wifi Issue
- Method-1 : Remove saved WIFI Credential.
- Method-2 : Update the Network Adapter Driver.
- Method-3 : Check Surface Network Adapter Power Management.
- Method-4 : Check for Firewalls and Third-Party Firewall Interrupting.
- Method-5 : Advanced Settings in Windows Firewall.
- Method-6 : Use the Windows network troubleshooter tool.
- Method-7 : Disable MAC Address Filtering.
Other related Problem
Surface not connecting to wifi can bother the users of Surface laptop. Since the surface is a product of Microsoft, surface laptops have Windows 10 installed on them.
Our guide in the start can help you fix some of those problems. For more technical issues read the guide below.
Remove saved WIFI Credential
Sometimes saved wifi network cause problem because surface tries to connect automatically with a saved network. to solve this issue & ensure that you are using the right wifi network & password you need to forget the saved network. After you forget the wireless network you need to connect again with the wireless network. To forget saved wireless network, follow the below steps
Now reconnect with wifi network
Update the Network Adapter Driver
If you are using an older version of the Surface device then your network adapter driver may be out of date. Sometimes updating the network adapter driver can also solve connection problems. Follow these steps to see if updating the drive can fix Surface pro not connecting to wifi problem.
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Click to open the Network Adapter menu and expand it.
- Under your Network name right click on the adapter and click on update driver.
- Now Click on the Search automatically for updated driver software.
Restart the computer and router after you have updated the network adapter driver. Now your laptop should easily connect to the wifi. If you are feeling that wifi connection keeps dropping on your surface laptop then read the next paragraph.
Check Surface Network Adapter Power Management
If your Surface laptop keeps dropping the wifi connection i.e. the wifi network appears and disappears then you need to look into network adapter’s settings. There can be something wrong with the adapter power management settings.
Try changing these settings and fix the Surface not connecting to wifi problem. Perform the below-given steps
- Right-click on the Start menu logo.
- Select the Device Manager option.
- Under Network adapter select your network adapter name.
- Right-click on the network adapter and choose properties.
- Go to the Power Management tab.
- Look for Allow the computer to turn off this device option.
- Uncheck the checkbox next to it.
Now the wifi connection should become stable and your Surface pro not connecting to wifi problem should be fixed. If you are still facing the problem with connecting to wifi network then you should try the next alternatives.
Check for Firewalls and Third-Party Firewall Interrupting
A firewall is a utility provided by Windows operating system to prevent malicious content and program from accessing your computer. If the firewall on your computer is preventing the network then you have to enable your connection to the firewall’s advance settings.
It is also possible that a third party firewall is interrupting the connection and causing the Surface not connecting to wifi. First, run a check through the command prompt to make sure that the connection problem is caused by the firewall.
- Search “Command Prompt” in the search box on the taskbar.
- Now Right-Click on Command Prompt from the search result and click on run as administrator.
- Type the below command.
- netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off.
- Now press Enter.
See if your internet is working on the laptop or not. If the laptop internet is now working then you have to look for all firewalls on the system and add your network to their exception list.
One more thing, make sure to turn back on the firewall from the command prompt
- Type this command.
- netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on.
- Read the next paragraph for Windows firewall settings.
Advanced Settings in Windows Firewall
Make certain changes to the Windows firewall advance settings to fix the Surface not connecting to wifi issue. Follow these steps
- Search “Windows Defender Firewall” in the search box on the bottom.
- Now click on Windows Defender Firewall from search Result.
- Now Click on advanced settings option from the side options panel.
- then click on Inbound Rules from the left menu.
- Find Wireless portable devices option.
- Right-click on the Wireless portable devices (SSDP-in) and select Properties.
- Under the general tab select the Allow the connection option.
- Under the Advanced Tab make sure to check the Domain Private and Public Checkboxes under specify profiles to which these rules apply.
- Now right click on the Wireless portable devices (UPnP-in) option
- Repeat the same steps for the Wireless portable devices (SSDP-in)
Restart your computer after saving the above changes. Now your Surface laptop should connect with the internet and Surface not connecting to wifi problem should be fixed.
Use the Windows network troubleshooter tool
Windows has an inbuilt tool to diagnose & fix the network connection issue. This tool may fix Surface not connecting to WiFi problem.
- Type Network Troubleshooter in the search box on the taskbar and open it.
- Now Click on Next.
- Click on Troubleshoot my connection to the internet.
- Follow the screen instructions.
Disable MAC Address Filtering
MAC filtering is a feature of the router that enables extra layer security to your wifi network. It prevents unauthorized devices to connect to your network. It could be the reason for your surface not connecting to wifi. You need to turn off MAC filtering temporarily so that you can be sure about the situation. To disable it you need to login to your router > Advance Settings > Mac Filtering / Access Control > Disable
Every router has different settings interface & terminology which is more or less similar. Now if you can connect your surface with wifi then you need to add your surface MAC address to your router or you can leave as it is because MAC filtering is not that secure, it is easy to breach. But if you want it, follow the steps below now you must be wondering, that where to find MAC address.
- Type command prompts in the search box on the taskbar and open it.
- In command prompt type “ipconfig /all” and hit enter.
- Lots of information will come up, find Physical Address.
- This is your MAC address.
Now you just need to MAC address to your router.
Surface not connecting to WiFi 5G router
After a recent windows firmware update, users of the Surface device are facing problems in connecting with the 5GHz wireless network. Especially with Marvel Semiconductor Wi-Fi driver. If you are also facing the same problem then you just need to roll back the driver in the device manager. To roll back the driver
- Type device manager in the search box on the taskbar and open it.
- find Network adapters & expand it.
- Right Click on Marvel Avastar. and click on Properties.
- Click on the driver tab.
- Click on rollback driver.
- Now you would able to connect with wifi
Tips to Avoid Surface not connecting to WiFi Problem
We are sure that your Surface not connecting to wifi problem should be fixed by now. We also want to make sure that you do not have to face this problem again in the future. That is why we are bringing you some steps that will help avoid this problem in the future. Follow these tips given here.
If you can manage to follow these steps given in this section of the blog then you minimize the chances for the occurrence of Surface not connecting to wifi issue.
Contact Microsoft Support
We have covered all the possible fixes for Surface not connecting to wifi. If still, your problem persists then you should contact Microsoft support. There are many ways to contact Microsoft support as you can go to Microsoft store, you can use get help App or you can get online support from Microsoft.
Final Words: Conclusion
Hopefully, this post helps you fix Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Laptop & surface Go not connecting to WIFI problem. We have written this post most possible details & instructions so that you can fix the issue on your own.
Do let us know if this guide has helped you. You can leave your comment about your experience. Please like & share this post to help others.
Last Updated on