Is Sea of Thieves Crashing while startup or mid-game on your Windows 10? Want to play this action-adventure game without any crashes or freezes? Then troubleshoot the problem with the given solutions.
Since the release of Sea of Thieves, there are a few players who complain that the game is crashing all of the sudden when trying to launch it on their computers and consoles.
In majority of the cases, game will crash when your Windows device is unable to satisfy the Sea of Thieves requirements. Other than that, there are several other reasons that trigger this issue.
Whatever it could be, you need to find the root cause of the problem and choose the best solution to fix it. We are there with you until you resolve the Sea of Thieves Crashing issue.
Sea of Thieves Crashing: Problem Overview
Sea of Thieves is one of the action-adventure video games developed by Microsoft Studios and Xbox Game Studios. Users can purchase this game for Microsoft Windows and Xbox consoles through the Steam store.
We can download and install it on your Windows 10, Windows 11, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S. It gained a huge fans from its release. As the first-person, you can enjoy exploring the open world through a pirate ship.
But there are few players who face crashing issues while starting the Sea of Thieves game. Even there are few gamers who encounters this Sea of Thieves Crashing while playing it.
Reasons that lead to this problem are many, and some of them are given below.
Once you know why this problem occurred, browse the following paragraphs and use them to solve it on your PC.
Sea of Thieves Crashing: Related Problems
In this section, we will provide different variations of the Sea of Thieves Crashing issue with their solutions to fix them.
Sea of Thieves Crashing: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Let’s see the basic methods that will allow you to resolve the Sea of Thieves Crashing issue on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC.
Match PC and Sea of Thieves Requirements
When your computer is incompatible or does not hold enough game resources, it will show these kinds of crashing, freezing, and black screen issues.
Before moving to further steps, clarify whether your Windows PC satisfies the Sea of Thieves requirements or not. To help you out in this situation, we are providing the minimum game specifications.
- Operating System: Windows 10 or Windows 11 (only 64-bit architecture)
- Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X6 @ 3.3 GHz or Higher
- RAM: 4 GB or Above
- Hard-disk: 60 GB of free space
- GPU Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon R9 270 or Equivalent
Now, open your PC configurations and match them with the above ones. If there are no issues with the computer specifications, move to the next method.
Run wsreset Command
Another simplest way to get rid of this Sea of Thieves Crashing is resetting the Windows Store Cache. Since corrupted cache will harm your gameplay, it is better to reset the Windows store cache by executing the below instructions.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Type wsreset.exe command and hit the Enter key.
- You have to wait until the process gets completed on your computer.
Now, reboot the system and relaunch the Sea of Thieves game to check the issue is solved or not.
Sea of Thieves Crashing: Steps To Fix Sea of Thieves Crashing Issue
If basic methods didn’t show any positive results, then don’t waste your time and start checking out the advanced tricks listed below.
- Step-1: Upgrade or Roll-Back GPU Drivers
- Step-2: Turn V-Sync
- Step-3: Add Sea of Thieves to your Antivirus’s Ignore List
- Step-4: Turn Off GPU Overclocking
- Step-5: Verify the Game Integrity (for Steam Users)
- Step-6: Sign In with a Microsoft Account
- Step-7: Hard Restart your Console (for Xbox Users)
- Step-8: Upgrade System Software of your Xbox
[ps2id id=’Step-1-Upgrade-or-Roll-Back-GPU-Drivers’ target=”/]
- Step 1
Upgrade or Roll-Back GPU Drivers
To play the games or run the programs, the functioning of the hardware is a must. And the hardware works properly only when we use the up-to-date & compatible drivers.
If you have installed the wrong drivers or the display drivers are outdated, then you will see this Sea of Thieves Crashing issue. Whenever the game crashes immediately after upgrading the GPU drivers, it means the newest drivers might be the reason for it.
Therefore, rollback the drivers to the previous version by using the below steps.
- Press Windows + R -> Type devmgmt.msc -> Click OK.
- Expand Display Adapters -> Right-click the NVIDIA or AMD Graphics Card -> Click Properties.
- Go to the Driver tab -> Select Roll-Back Driver option.
- Follow the on-screen steps and let it download & install the previous driver version.
If in case the game is crashing due to expired video drivers, then upgrade them via Device Manager. After that, launch Sea of Thieves and test if the issue is solved.
[ps2id id=’Step-2-Turn-V-Sync’ target=”/]
- Step 2
According to the majority of the gamers, they have resolved this Sea of Thieves Crashing issue by disabling the V-Sync option. To do so, use the below procedure.
- Go to your desktop and right-click on the empty space -> Choose NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Select the 3D Settings section placed on the left-side panel -> Click on the Manage 3D Settings -> Go to the Program Settings.
- Now, tap on the Add icon and browse the folders on your PC to find the executable file of Sea of Thieves.
- Under the Specify the settings for this program section, locate the V-Sync option -> Click on the Settings and choose the Off option from the drop-down menu.
- Save the settings and exit the NVIDIA Control Panel.
If the Sea of Thieves Crashing still persists, move to the following steps.
[ps2id id=’Step-3-Add-Sea-of-Thieves-to-your-Antivirus’s-Ignore-List’ target=”/]
- Step 3
Add Sea of Thieves to your Antivirus’s Ignore List
Are you using any third-party antivirus software on your Windows 11? Then your antivirus software might be blocking the Sea of Thieves to launch on your PC.
In this situation, the best option to overcome this issue is adding the executable file of the game to the exception list of your antivirus.
So, open the antivirus and go to the exception list to add the .exe file of Sea of Thieves. Once you have added, restart the PC. After that, start the game and check out the crashing problem occurs again or not.
[ps2id id=’Step-4-Turn-Off-GPU-Overclocking’ target=”/]
- Step 4
Turn Off GPU Overclocking
To speed up the gaming performance, gamers enable the Overclocking option. Though there are many advantages of using the Overclocking feature, the disadvantages are also there.
It may crash or freeze the game completely while starting or playing it on our desktops. If the above solutions failed to solve the Sea of Thieves Crashing issue, stop GPU Overclocking on your PC, and let’s see if the issue repeats again.
[ps2id id=’Step-5-Verify-the-Game-Integrity-(for Steam Users)’ target=”/]
- Step 5
Verify the Game Integrity (for Steam Users)
If you’re trying to play Sea of Thieves through Steam Launcher, then check for the corrupted game files. Steam Client offers you to find the corrupted files and repair them on your Windows desktop.
- Open Steam Client by double-clicking on its desktop shortcut.
- From its Library, choose Sea of Thieves and right-click on it.
- Select Properties from the context menu -> Under the Local Files tab, click Verify the Integrity of the Game Files option.
If it finds any corrupted files, then it will replaces them with the correct ones. After finishing, relaunch Sea of Thieves to know the issue is fixed.
[ps2id id=’Step-6-Sign-In-with-a-Microsoft-Account’ target=”/]
- Step 6
Sign In with a Microsoft Account
Though it sounds weird, you can fix this Sea of Thieves Crashing issue by signing in with your Microsoft account. In case if you’re launching the game without the Microsoft account, then you will see these crashing issues.
So, we recommend the gamers sign in to their Microsoft account by using the following steps.
- Press Windows + I -> Click Account -> Stay in the Your Account tab and click on the Sign in with a Microsoft account instead option.
- Now, you have to type the login credentials of your Microsoft account and click on the Next button.
- Confirm the details either through email or phone.
- In the next step, you have to click on the Switch button to set up the Microsoft account on your Windows PC.
Now, launch Sea of Thieves and check if the game is crashing or runs perfectly.
[ps2id id=’Step-7-Hard-Restart-your-Console-(for Xbox Users)’ target=”/]
- Step 7
Hard Restart your Console (for Xbox Users)
The users who are facing this Sea of Thieves Crashing issue on their Xbox consoles have to close the game immediately. After sometimes, restart the game because it will fix the glitches that crash it.
In case if the crashing issue again occurs, then do the following instructions.
- Close the game and turn off your Xbox console.
- Now, remove the power cables attached to your console.
- After 5 minutes, reconnect the power cords and turn on the device.
Finally, relaunch Sea of Thieves and check the issue repeats again on your Xbox device.
[ps2id id=’Step-8-Upgrade-System-Software-of-your-Xbox’ target=”/]
- Step 8
Upgrade System Software of your Xbox
Outdated firmware on your Xbox is also one of the reasons for this Sea of Thieves Crashing issue. In most cases, the latest firmware is automatically installed whenever they are released by the manufacturer.
If you found the system software is expired, then download and install the recently released version on your Xbox to turn it up to date.
Once you complete the update process, launch the Sea of Thieves and play it without any issues.
Tips To Avoid Sea of Thieves Crashing
Contact Official Support
Mostly, the troubleshooting methods that were explained above are more than enough to resolve the crashing issues of the Sea of Thieves game.
If they didn’t solve the trouble, you go with uninstalling and reinstalling the Sea of Thieves game on your Microsoft Windows 10.
Other than the above, there are chances of having some more steps to fix it. For that, you have to search on Microsoft Communities and Xbox Communities.
On any of these forums, you’ll find one or multiple solutions that will help you in fixing it. If nothing seems to work, you can contact the customer support of Sea of Thieves.
Final Words: Conclusion
To sum up everything, Microsoft Studios’s Sea of Thieves is a wonderful action & adventure game for both Windows and Xbox users.
Manufacturers provide frequent updates to fix the bugs and issues of the game. To resolve this Sea of Thieves Crashing issue, users can use our tips and tricks without any doubts.
For any queries on this troubleshooting guide, you can contact us at any time by leaving a message. Share and comment on this post through the comment box.
If you want to check out the latest articles of our blog, simply click on the subscribe button mentioned below.