PlayStation 5 is one of the popular home video game consoles developed by Sony. There are some people who always complain that PS5 crashes or freezes while playing video games.If any of you come across this PS4 Freezing issue, they can go through this troubleshooting guide till the end. In this post, we will let you know the causes and solutions to fix the problem.
Sony manufactured different models of PlayStations, such as PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4. And the recent one is PlayStation 5, which is equipped with additional features compared to the previous ones.
On this gaming console, users can download and play the games through the Controller. But when they are playing certain games, such as Warzone, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and others, the PS5 is freezing suddenly.
Some say it is due to a corrupted database, outdated firmware, and broken power cables. According to us, they are some more reasons that trigger this action. To know more about this issue, you need to check out the following sections.
PS5 Freezing: Problem Overview
Gamers always want to try different gaming devices to enjoy a wonderful experience while playing. That is the reason why manufacturers are developing a variety of devices.
Like Microsoft’s Xbox console, Sony’s PlayStation is also a successful home gaming console. Millions of users worldwide became consumers of these consoles.
Recently, Sony came up with the successor to PlayStation 4, named PlayStation 5. We can download any kind of video game on this PS5 console and play it smoothly.
But none of the electronic devices, let’s say desktops, laptops, Smartphones, and others, are not exempt from problems. PlayStation 5 also troubles its users whenever they try to launch or at the mid-game. It crashes or freezes completely without issuing any warning message.
There are several people who are facing this frustrating problem with their PS5 consoles. But don’t worry, there are some best techniques that resolve this PS5 Freezing issue.
Earlier we provided the complete guide to stop the crashing, freezing, and stuttering issues of the PS4 console. Now, you will get to know what steps to take to overcome this issue.
First, check out the reasons that make the PlayStation 5 console freeze.
Now, move to the next sections and know the solutions that troubleshoot the freezing issue.
PS5 Freezing: Related Problems
You may face this freezing problem with your PlayStation 5 in different situations. We are providing some of those areas along with their solutions.
PS5 Freezing: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Before going to use any advanced methods, try the primary solutions that will help you in fixing the PS5 Freezing issue.
Restart your PS5 Console
Regardless of its cause, just reboot the console in order to free up your PS5 from these glitches. Sometimes, it is the best solution to clear out both simple and complex issues.
- Press the power button placed on the front side of your PlayStation 5 console.
- You have to hold the power button until you hear two beep sounds.
With this, it shut down the console forcefully. It will delete all the unsaved data from the console. Now, again press the power button to start PS5.
Check the Power Cables
There are numerous possibilities for causing the PS5 Freezing issue. One such is damaged or broken power cables. If the power cords that you’re using on your console are not working, then it will freeze and crash the device.
Before it’s too late, you have to replace the damaged cables with a brand new set. After that, restart your PS5 and check the freezing issue appears again.
Steps To Fix PS5 Freezing Issue
If the above solutions didn’t resolve the freezing issues of your PlayStation 5, you have several other tricks on your hands. Let’s start using one by one and get rid of this issue.
- Step 1
Turn Off Rest Mode
Not only for the PlayStation 4 users, but Sony provided the Rest Mode feature for PlayStation 5 users. When you enable it, your console consumes low power.
All the operations or activities like downloading or installing the game happen in the background. If you don’t want to use your console for many hours, then it is good to enable the Rest Mode.
But there are few users who say that the freezing and crashing problems occur after enabling this Rest Mode option. Try disabling this Rest Mode feature and check the freezing issue is fixed on your PS5 console.
- First of all, open the Settings on your PlayStation 5 console.
- Go to the System section and choose the Power Saving option.
- Now, select the Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- In the next step, you need to set the value that implies the inactive state of your console. If you do not set it, then it will automatically enter into the Rest Mode.
- Choose the Don’t Put in Rest Mode option to turn off this feature permanently on your console.
In case if the PS5 console still freezes even after disabling the Rest Mode, move to the following solutions.
- Step 2
Check for Overheating Issues
Overheating is also one of the reasons for causing the PS5 Freezing problem. If you continuously run the console and reaches the maximum temperature, then it will start overheating.
In case if you find that your PS5 is overheated, then try following the below instructions to fix it.
- First of all, place your console in an open environment where the ventilation is good.
- Don’t keep it closer to the wall surface because it observes heat from it.
- Disassemble the console (if you know) and clean the vents to remove the dust. Also, check the fan is spinning properly or making loud sounds.
After doing all these activities, check the console is freezing after restarting it and playing the games.
- Step 3
Uninstall or Update the Game
If the PlayStation 5 console started freezing while gaming, then it could be due to the video game that you’re playing. The game files might be corrupted, or you’re running the older version of it.
In this situation, it is better to update or reinstall the video game on your console. To reinstall the game, execute the below steps.
- Open the PS5 settings.
- Go to the Storage section -> Select the Games and Apps.
- Choose the game from the list -> Click on the Delete button.
- Now, open the home screen of your console -> From the Game Library, reinstall the game that you’ve deleted previously.
In most cases, games on your PS5 get updated automatically when the auto-update option is turned on. If it is turned off, you need to upgrade the game manually.
- Go to the Game Library and choose the game that you want to update.
- Select the Options button and tap on the Check for Updates.
It starts downloading the latest game updates on your console. After upgrading, check the freezing issue is solved.
- Step 4
Update System Software
If the PS5 Freezing issue is not fixed even after reinstalling the game, then check whether the system software is updated. In case if you’re using outdated software, then install the latest system software using the below instructions.
- Firstly, open the Settings on your PS5.
- Go to the System -> Select System Software -> Go with the System Software Update and Settings.
- Now, you have to enable the Download Update Files Automatically and Install Update Files Automatically.
- Finally, select the Update System Software to install the latest system software on your console.
Once the update process is completed, relaunch the game or restart the console to test the freezing issue is fixed.
- Step 5
Rebuild PS5 Database
Whenever you encounter this freezing problem while playing any particular game, rebuilding the database might help you in fixing it.
You can let your console enter into the Safe Mode and choose the rebuild database option to create the new database.
- If your console is turned on, shut it down completely.
- Now, press the power button and release it when you listen to the second beep sound.
- With the help of a USB cable, connect both your console and Controller.
- Press the PS button to boot your PS5 console into the Safe Mode.
- Select the fifth option (Rebuild Database) displayed on the screen. Now, go through the on-screen steps and complete the process.
After successfully completing the rebuilding database process, check the problem is solved.
- Step 6
If the above methods didn’t solve the PS5 Freezing problem, clean installation of your PS5 system software is the best option. You can do it by booting the console in safe mode.
But let me remind you, factory resetting the console will completely erase your data. So, back up the important data and then reset your PS5.
- Plug your external HDD or any other storage device into your console.
- Open the PS5 settings and enter into the System section.
- Under the System Software tab, choose Back up and Restore -> Select the Back Up your PS5 to store all your data on the external storage device.
- In the next step, you have to connect a USB Flash Drive to your Windows device and format the drive to FAT32.
- In the drive, create a new folder and name it PS5. In that folder, create the Update folder.
- Open the official website of your PS5 and download the PS5 Reinstallation file to the Update folder (that you’ve created above).
- Now, connect the USB Flash Drive to your PS5 console -> Boot the console in the Safe Mode.
- Finally, choose the Reset PS5 (Reinstall System Software) -> Select the Update from USB Storage Device -> Tap on the OK option.
After successfully resetting your PS5, check the freezing issue is solved.
Tips To Avoid PS5 Freezing
Contact Official Support
The majority of the users have successfully solved the PS5 Freezing issue with the given solutions. If you tried and failed to fix it, then use a few other alternatives given in this section.
Firstly, check out the PlayStation forums and communities for any other steps. Along with that, you can also go through some popular forums, like Reddit.
Even you can create your own account and post the query on these forums. In case if you don’t find any method, then contact the PlayStation Support Team. They will guide you with the instructions that stop freezing your PS5 console.
Final Words: Conclusion
To sum up everything, I can say that PS5, PS4, or any other gaming console will crash or freeze due to one or more issues. Identifying the reason and using the best method can solve these kinds of problems.
Here also, you have to find why the PS5 console is freezing. By doing so, you will get to know which of the above solution will resolve it.
For any compliments or complaints, you can use the comment box provided below. Share this troubleshooting guide with your friends to help them in fixing it hassle-freely.
At last, subscribe to our blog to browse several articles related to various PC and gaming issues.