Laptops are widely in use because of its flexibility and easy to carry nature. Hewlett Packard is a renowned organization for their computers. Many hp laptop users are stuck with HP laptop sound not working issue. They are not able to get sound output while playing video or audio. This is a very serious issue as almost in every work we require sound output. Online game players, YouTube geeks, online class attendees, etc have got affected by such an issue.
The reason behind this issue can be an outdated sound driver or an incompatible situation in the system. Before going for anything have a check on your external devices like headphones in case you are only facing issues with it. Many users have started facing this issue after upgrading their system to windows 10. In this case, an outdated driver can be the culprit.
We have enclosed various methods for our readers including basic and advanced levels of troubleshooting. Please go through our entire blog to get rid of such an issue.
HP Laptop Sound Not Working: Problem Overview
Under these users are unable to get sound output. They face the issue HP laptop sound not working while playing any video or audio. There can be various reasons behind this issue, some of them are mentioned below.
HP Laptop Sound Not Working: Related Problems
Portability has made laptops popular among users. But HP laptops sound not working issue has impacted many users. This same issue has some other related problems as mentioned below. Follow the same solution for these related problems as well.
HP laptop sound not working issue can occur because of some basic errors. We advise you to go for this basic troubleshooting step. Sometimes other programs of your systems control the sound driver. Because of this other application gets unable to use them. So, we advise you to power cut and then restart your system.
System Power cut
In case the issue HP laptop not working is still there, just go for our advanced troubleshooting methods.
Steps To Fix HP Laptop Sound Not Working Problem
- Step-1 : Go for HP Support Assistant to check Audio
- Step-2 : Try Reinstalling the audio drivers
- Step-3 : Alter the Registry of system
- Step-4 : Check on the audio sensor
- Step-5 : Unmute your sound if muted
- Step-6 : Check on your system’s default audio device
- Step-7 : Go for the windows inbuilt troubleshooting tool
- Step-8 : Go for Restoring the BIOS to default
- Step-9 : Consider Upgrading BIOS
- Step-10 : Ultimate: Reset the system
Go for HP Support Assistant to check Audio
HP has its troubleshooting tool known as HP support Assistance. Just download it from here and follow the below steps to fix Sound related minor issues.
- Go to the hp website to Download HP Support Assistant to install it. If it is already installed, then type “HP support Assistant” in your systems search bar and tap on it to open.
- Tap on the “My device” tab and choose your computer.
- Look for the “Troubleshooting and fixes” tab and choose “Audio Check” under “One Click fixes”.
- Tap on “Next” toggle and let the audio test finish.
- Now you need to review the outcome displayed on your screen so, tap on “Test Audio”.
- In case you didn’t hear the sound output then tap on “Unable to Hear Audio” and follow up on the on-screen instructions.
In case still, the issue with your HP laptop sound is persisting then go for the next method.
Try Reinstalling the audio drivers
HP laptop sound not working issue can be fixed by reinstalling the drivers. In case you are facing any issue with your headphone jack this hack is for you.
Follow the below steps to perform this:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “X” and tap on “Device Manager”.
- Look for your audio drivers under “Sound, video and game controllers”.
- Right Tap on “Realtek High Definition Audio Driver” and choose “Uninstall”.
- In case you get a confirmation dialogue box, mark “Delete the driver software for this device” and OK.
- Once it is done just reboot your system.
- Follow step 1 and step 2 again.
- Right Tap on “Realtek High Definition Audio Driver” and choose “Scan for hardware changes”. This will automatically install your Realtek driver.
In case your system is not able to detect sound driver then just go to Realtek’s official website and download it according to your windows 10 configuration i.e. 32 or 64 bit.
Alter the Registry of system
Sometimes just changing your registry can fix HP laptop sound not working issue. But be careful while performing this as its geeks into your system’s file.
Follow the below steps to perform this task:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “R” to open the RUN dialogue box.
- Type “regedit” in the box and tap on the enter key.
- Once the registry editors get open just follow the below path to reach “Render”.
- Look for and right tap on “Render” and select “Permissions”.
- A box will pop up, now choose “Users” present under Group or user names. Now mark box “Allow” for “Full Control” under Permissions and users. Now tap on “Apply” and “OK” to make these changes applicable.
Once it is done check whether the issue HP laptop not working got fixed or not. Many users started getting a positive result after performing this method.
Check on the audio sensor
Ever wondered how audio jacks work? Well, audio jacks have sensors that can recognize devices or headphones you connect. In case the issue is with your audio jack then it will simply turn off your speakers.
This kind of issue can happen with your audio sensors because of getting jammed. Your system will show that your built-in speakers are connected but audio jack glitch will disable it.
FIX: To fix this just attach any other audio device to the audio jack of your system. This action will fix the stuck audio jack sensor. You can try toothpicks to fix it in case you don’t have any audio device.
Many users have got benefited from this method. Try this and give us your feedback.
In case still, HP laptop audio not working issue is persisting then go for our next method.
Unmute your sound if muted
Sometimes laptop speakers don’t work due to muted sound. Check in the bottom right corner and tap on the “Volume icon” and see whether the volume is set to maximum or not.
You should also check on your audio mixer. The audio mixer is available in windows to control audio levels.
To fix the audio mixer related issue follow the below steps:
- Play any video file offline or YouTube video online.
- Once the video starts playing in the background. Just right tap on the volume icon and go for “Open Volume Mixer”.
- A new screen will pop up. Now just move the volume sliders up to mark. Do this for all the sections especially speakers and systems.
After doing this many users reported that HP laptop sound, not working issue got fixed up. In case it doesn’t then go for our next method.
Check on your system’s default audio device
Sometimes default audio device settings can fix HP laptop audio not working issue. As not setting it as a default audio device can create various conflicts.
To set your audio device default follow bellow steps.
- Check in the bottom right corner and tap on the “Volume icon” and see whether the volume is set to maximum or not.
- Now choose “Sounds” from the list.
- A new sound screen will pop up. Now switch to the “Playback” tab and right-click at the random empty place. You will see two options “Show Disabled Devices” and “Show Disconnected Devices”, make sure these are marked.
- Once it is done now just right tap on your speakers and select the “Set as default device” option. Now just tap on Apply then OK.
Once you made these changes check whether the issue with your HP laptops sound got fixed or not. In case you are still facing the issue go for our next solution.
Go for the windows inbuilt troubleshooting tool
Windows provide their in-built troubleshooting tool. So simply running the built-in troubleshooter can detect and fix the issue. Here you must run the audio troubleshooter.
Follow the below steps to fix all the general issues related to audio automatically:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “I” to open the Settings window. Now Choose “Update & Security” option.
- Choose the “Troubleshoot” option available in the left pane.
Note: If you didn’t see any app listed on this page then click on additional troubleshooter.
- Now choose “Playing Audio” and tap on “Run the troubleshooter”.
This will automatically start detecting the issue and it will get fixed. In case still you are facing issues go for our last method.
Go for Restoring the BIOS to default
Sometimes misconfigured BIOS settings can be the reason behind HP laptop sound not working issue. In this case, you need to check on your BIOS settings t reset to default.
- At first, turn your system off.
- Now tap on the power toggle and continuously press the ESC key. Do it till you get the “Startup Menu” screen.
- Once you are on the startup menu page tap on the F10 function key. This will let you enter the BIOS setup utility.
- Now use the Right arrow key of your keyboard to switch into the “Exit” tab. Now select the “Load Setup Defaults” option. This will set your BIOS to its default value.
- Now choose the “Exit saving changes” option. A dialogue box will prompt just press “Yes”.
- Now just tap on ESC key followed by the Enter key to exit the BIOS.
Now just check whether the HP laptop sound, not working issue got fixed or not. In case the issue persists go for the next method.
Consider Upgrading BIOS
Updating your BIOS can be a cure for it. You can update it to using your system’s device manager.
Follow the below steps to perform this:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “X” and tap on “Device Manager” to open it.
- Tap on “Firmware” and expand it then double tap on the “System Firmware”.
- A box will pop up, switch to the Driver tab, and tap on “Update Driver” option.
- Tap on “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
Now, wait till the updates get downloaded and installed automatically. Once it is done, take a sound test to check the sound issue got fixed or not. In case you are still facing the issue then go for our ultimate method.
Ultimate: Reset the system
In case nothing worked for you then go for resetting your system. Be careful while doing this and make sure you have copied the important files.
Follow the below steps to perform reset:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “I” and choose “Update & Security”.
- Find the “Recovery” option present in the left pane.
- Now tap on “Get Started” toggle present under Reset this PC in the right pane.
- Another window will pop-up, we advise you to choose “Keep my files” option. This option will not affect your files.
- Note: Go for the option “Remove Everything” in case you want to remove all the settings, personal files, and programs.
- Now you will see two options “Only the drive where windows are installed” and “All drives”. Choose as per your need.
Note: 1st one will remove only the device in which your windows files are installed. The 2nd one will remove all the files related to installed drivers.
- Again, a window will appear with two options “Just remove my files” and “Remove files and clean the drive”. We advise you to choose “Just remove my files”.
- Now tap on the “Reset” toggle available in the next window.
After this windows reinstallation will start. Just be patient until the installation gets finished. It automatically includes the related drivers.
Once it is done check whether the HP laptop sound, not working issue got fixed or not. After doing this the sound, microphone, or any issue related to sound will get fixed.
Tips To Avoid HP Laptop Sound Not Working Problem
Contact Official Support
As per our research, the last method should fix this error. In case it is not fixed we advise you to go for HP official support system. If you want, you can visit your nearest HP service center for offline troubleshooting.
You can also go for live chat or on-call advice to troubleshoot this issue. To get warranty period benefits, make sure your system comes under it and carry your warranty card. Do have all the required details before approaching official support.
Final words: Conclusion
All the method mentioned in our blog post has been pretested to fix “HP Laptop sound not working” issue. Be careful while applying all the steps. We advise you to perform a basic troubleshooting step before going for anything.
One of these methods will surely work for you. In case you find any difficulty contact us via comment. And yeah, we are always waiting for your valuable feedback.