Does your Asus Laptop Touchpad Not Working? Read this comprehensive yet easy guide to fix this issue now.
Nowadays almost everybody has a personal laptop. ASUS is a renowned company for its quality laptops. The touchpad in a laptop is an essential requirement as it has replaced the mouse. Now, this is a standard input way for performing any task.
We have come across various users who are facing issues with their ASUS laptop touchpad. This makes them unable to use their laptop. Using an external mouse is a choice here but still inbuilt should work.
Issues with touchpad can happen because of various reasons like an outdated driver, outdated window, etc. Sometimes windows try to perform drive up-gradation automatically but somehow it fails.
No need to worry, as we have come across various solutions to fix the ASUS laptop touchpad not working issue.
Asus Laptop Touchpad Not Working: Problem Overview
Under this when a user tries to use their touchpad, it doesn’t work. The reason behind such issue can be different as perusers. Some of them are mentioned below.
Asus Laptop Touchpad Not Working: Related Problems
This issue can be caused in various other ways in different operating systems. It has various related things with it as mentioned below.
- ASUS touchpad driver Windows 10, Windows 8 & Windows 7
- ASUS touchpad not working Windows 10, Windows 8 & Windows 7
- How to enable touchpad on ASUS laptop
- ASUS touchpad scroll not working
- ASUS touchpad driver missing
- Touchpad not showing in device manager
- ASUS touchpad has disappeared
Note: All the Screenshots used in this post are of Windows 10 but this solution will work for Windows 7 & Windows 8 as well.
Whatever issue you may be facing with your Asus laptop touchpad, You will be able to fix it with Below mentioned troubleshooting Steps. It can resolve any issue with Asus Touchpad. So no need to worry, simply follow the provided steps carefully.
Step to fix Asus Laptop Touchpad Not Working Issue
- Step-1 : Go for the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Step-2 : Check on the Touchpads setting
- Step-3 : Check on ASUS Smart Gestures
- Step-4 : Update your Windows OS
- Step-5 : Check whether the touchpad is enabled in the BIOS or not
- Step-6 : Remove other Touchpad drivers with ASUS
- Step-7 : Check on the BIOS of your ASUS laptop
- Step-8 : Reset your ASUS laptop
Go for the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Systems troubleshooter can be a savior sometimes. Use this to detect any minor bug, this will fix it automatically.
Do follow the below steps to do it.
- Go to your ASUS laptops start menu and search for “Settings”.
- Look for the “Update & Security” option then go for the Troubleshoot menu.
- Now follow up on-screen instructions and wait until it completes its process.
- In case the troubleshooter detects any error, just follow the on-screen process to fix it.
Once it is finished, check whether your ASUS laptops touchpad is working or not. If your ASUS laptops touchpad is still not working go for the next solution.
Check on the Touchpads setting
Sometimes the touchpad of your system might be turned off. Maybe you have turned it off accidentally via short cut keys. We have come across many users who have done this accidentally
Do follow the below steps to perform this.
- Go to start, look for the “Settings” in your ASUS laptops search bar.
- Tap on the “Devices” option and choose “Touchpad” from there.
- Now go for “Additional Settings” and check whether the “Enable Touchpad” option is marked or not, if it is not then mark it. At last tap on “Apply” then Ok.
In case it is already enabled then move towards the next method to fix ASUS laptop touchpad not working.
Note: You can also do it by tapping FN with F9 or Ctrl, FN, and F9 together. These are the short cut keys that can enable and disable the touchpad. You can also try the manual way as mentioned above.
Check on ASUS Smart Gestures
ASUS smart gesture plays an important role here. Touchpad’s sensitivity can be controlled by this. Sometimes ASUS smart gesture’s configuration becomes incorrect. This thing can also cause your ASUS laptops touchpad not working.
Do follow the below steps to perform it.
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “R” on your keyboard.
- A RUN box will pop up, type “control” in it, and press “Ok”.
- Control Panel screen will open up, now look for “View by” in the top right corner, and choose “Large icons”.
- Now find the “ASUS Smart Gesture” option and tap on it.
- Look for “Set to default” toggle on the bottom left side.
- Now restart your ASUS laptop to implement the changes.
Once it is done, check whether the ASUS laptop touchpad issue got fixed or not. In case it persists do follow the next method.
Update your windows OS
Before going to any next method make sure your ASUS laptop is up to date. Sometimes an outdated system can cause such issues. An outdated system can cause various bugs. It can also cause a compatibility issue. Windows updates automatically update related drivers.
Do follow the following steps to update your computer.
- Look for “Windows key” with alphabet “I” on your keyboard.
- Now look for the “Update and Security” option.
- Choose “Windows update” & tap on the tab “Check for updates”.
- Wait patiently until the updates get downloaded and installed.
Once you are done, restart your ASUS laptop. Check whether the issue got resolved or not. In case it doesn’t move to the next method.
Check whether the touchpad is enabled in the BIOS or not
This issue is a bit technical, but this happens with many users. Many users face issues like touchpad has disappeared. This method will fix that issue as well. As per users’ experience after enabling it their issue got fixed.
- For doing this, you need to enter the BIOS of your system. Simply press Delete or F2 or Esc (anyone out of these) key continuously.
- BIOS layout will appear now look for something similar to the “Internal pointing device” option there. You will find it under the advanced settings tap (this can vary, please look carefully).
- Once you found it, check whether it is enabled or not. Enable it in case it is not. Or In case it is already enabled, just disable it, then again enable it. Tap on save changes and exit.
After this restart, your ASUS laptops then check whether the touchpad is working or not.
NOTE: In case it doesn’t work, consider setting your ASUS laptops BIOS to its default setting. Again perform step 1 of this method to enter into BIOS. Then press the “F5” key, confirm by choosing “Yes”. This will reset your BIOS to its default setting. Press F10 to exit.
Remove other Touchpad drivers with ASUS
Update your ASUS laptops “ATK Package” before going for anything else in this method. Sometimes an old version of ATK packages causes this kind of issue. Updating fixes a lot of bugs, that’s why it is an essential part of troubleshooting.
NOTE: As per ASUS guidelines, you need to install the ATC package first. Once it is done, consider installing the driver. This would be the right way to make it impactful.
Do follow the below steps to fix your ASUS laptops touchpad.
- Type “Programs and features” in the search bar of the start menu of your ASUS laptop.
- Find the APK package from the list if it is pre-installed. Tap on it and choose “Uninstall” and follow the on-screen steps to complete this.
- Now, go to the ASUS official support website.
- Look for the “Select your Product” option on the page and choose accordingly. After choosing you will see your laptops model number, under this there will be an option “Driver & Utility”, click on it.
- under “Driver & Tools” choose your OS; a list of drivers will be there. After this the compatible ATK Package will be there, choose the current version and download it via tapping on “Global” toggle.
- Once the downloading is finished, find the file and unzip it to install the setup. Do follow all the on-screen instructions carefully while installing.
Now, let’s go for the un-installation of a pre-existing touchpad driver on your ASUS laptop.
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “R” on your ASUS laptop keyboard.
- Now in the RUN dialogue box, type “devmgmt.msc” and press ok. This will open the device manager screen.
- Look for “Mice and other pointing devices” and tap on it to expand.
- Locate the driver presently installed, right tap on it, and choose the “Uninstall device” option. You can also uninstall if any old or unnecessary driver is there. Make sure you do not uninstall the mouse-related driver.
Now as the un-installation is finished. We will head towards installing the latest version smart gesture ASUS touchpad driver manually from its website.
- Download the latest driver for your ASUS laptop using these links Smart gesture download- 32 bit and Smart gesture download -64 bit. Choose as per your systems configuration and download.
- Generally, it is in a zip file, once the download is finished unzip it and tap on the setup to install the touchpad driver. Do follow all the onscreen instructions carefully.
Once it is finished restart your laptop. Now check whether your ASUS touchpad now works or not.
NOTE: Rebooting your system after uninstalling the ASUS gesture touchpad drive, will also install it automatically. In case it doesn’t then consider the manual installation steps.
Check on the BIOS of your ASUS laptop
BIOS is an essential part, maybe your BIOS firmware is not up to date.
Check for the present BIOS version of your laptop
- Tap on windows key with alphabet “R” to open the RUN box.
- Now type “msinfo32” in the box and press enter.
- A system information page will get displayed on your screen. Look for ‘BIOS version date’ or something similar.
From here you will know the BIOS version, now just check on the official website whether an up-gradation is available or not. In case an update is available then follow the next steps to update it.
Follow the below steps to do update your ASUS laptops BIOS firmware.
- Click here to go to the ASUS official support website, make sure you have the model name of your laptop.
- Look for “Select your Product” option on page and choose accordingly. After choosing you will see your laptops model number, under this there will be an option “Driver & Utility”, click on it.
- A new page will open up, under Driver & Tools, select the “BIOS & Firmware” section. Here you will see the current version of “BIOS installer for windows”. Tap on the download button.
- Once the BIOS installer file is downloaded, locate it and right-click on it to choose the “Extract all” option.
- A screen will pop up, choose the destination (Generally it is C drive), and tap on the “Extract” toggle present in the bottom right.
- Once the extraction is finished, look for the extracted folder and double tap on it to install.
- An installation process will get started, tap “Next” toggle then choose the “I accept the agreement” again tap “Next”.
- One more “Next” toggle will come, press it. Now you will see the “Install” button, just tap on it.
- Now, select “Yes, restart the computer now” and press the “Finish” button.
After this, your system will be restarted automatically once it downloads and installs all the BIOS updates. Make sure you have connected your laptop with a charging adapter.
NOTE: You can also download the latest drivers including “Asus precision Touchpad” via the above steps. Follow the above instruction again till step 2. In step 3 under “Driver & Tools” choose your OS; a list of drivers will be there. Select as per your requirement and download it. Then install it by clicking on the package and following the onscreen command.
Ultimate hack: Reset your ASUS laptop
In case nothing worked above, just reset your system. It has an option where your files will not get affected. This will reinstall your windows.
In case the issue is because of any latest update or any other third party application. Everything will get sorted by this one method.
NOTE: Be careful while performing and do not interrupt your laptop in between. Make sure your laptop is at charging while doing this.
- Go to the start section of your ASUS laptop and look for the “Settings” option.
- Look for the “Update and Security” option and click on it.
- Now find the “Recovery” option in the left pane and tap on it.
- Now look for the “Reset this PC” option on the screen.
- Tap on the “Get Started” toggle available there.
- A new screen will open up with two options. Go for the “Keep my files” option. This will not affect your personal files.
- After choosing it, tap the “Next” toggle.
- A warning screen will be pop up, simply press the “Next” toggle.
- Now the last screen will pop up; press on “Reset” toggle present bottom left.
This will reset your laptop, do check whether the issue got resolved or not. In case the issue persists, please go for official support.
FAQ: Asus Laptop Touchpad Not Working
After upgrading to Windows 10, my touchpad no longer works?
Many users are facing this issue; it can because of some compatibility issues. Or maybe your window has missed on touchpad driver’s up-gradation while windows update. Make sure you have installed the drivers as per windows OS 10 from its official website or you can also install it via MyAsus app present in your laptop or update it via device manager. In case still it is not fixed then follow the below given instruction.
At first follow “Method: Check whether the touchpad is enabled in the BIOS or not” of this blog. Sometimes after BIOS upgrading, touchpad gets disabled or disturbed.
In case still, it is not fixed, lastly just reset your ASUS laptop using our last method. We hope this will fix your touchpad issue.
Tips to avoid Asus Laptop Touchpad Not Working Issue
Contact Officials Support
After performing all the above-mentioned methods your ASUS laptop touchpad still doesn’t work. We would advise you to go for official customer support. Be ready with the basic details of your system, as they will ask you. The technical team may fix this issue.
Final words: Conclusion
All the above-mentioned methods have been pre-tested by our expert team. In case you face any issue while applying any step. Please feel free to contact us via the comment section.
In case our method fixed your ASUS laptop touchpad not working issue, do let us know in the comment section below. We are always waiting for your valuable feedback.