Last Updated on May 30, 2020 by Admin
Are you getting another computer is using the printer error? Fix it right away with this troubleshooting guide.
Modernization is not limited to just our lifestyle. It has also impacted the technological advancement at every level. An ancient printer has been replaced by new version printers with much more functionality and capability. Nowadays everyone has their personal printers. Life is fast and so the technology is.
But as we know nothing is perfect, these printers also show some errors sometimes. Many people are facing the issue “Another computer is using the printer”. This issue has been encountered by many users at some time while using printer. The good news is it has a solution which we are going to explain further in this blog.
As per our research and observing many users’ issues, we have found that, many things can be responsible for the issue “Another computer is using your printer”. Some of them are listed below.
- The printer driver might not be compatible with the system you are using.
- Spooler service of the printer might be not performing its job properly. Or maybe it is facing some issues while managing the task.
- Firmware has an important role here. An outdated firmware functions improperly which can further cause an error like “Another computer is using the printer”
Another computer is using the printer: Problem Overview
Under this error whenever a user tries to print something, they get an error message “Another computer is using the printer”. This error can make sense when you get this message while printer is performing printing task given by another computer but this error occurs even though you are the only user of the printer.
Printer are not printing anything, but still they get such error messages. The reason behind this issue can be related to both printer or the system user is using. it seems that this error is more common with canon printer. In this post, we will cover all the solution to this problem and related issues mentioned below.
Another computer is using the printer (Canon, HP)
printer is currently in use
creating print data
canon printer port in use
the printer is performing another operation
one or more printer drivers are in use restart the computer and try again
There are many basic things; we miss on while using printers. Before going for advanced level methods, do follow basic troubleshooting steps.
- Performing Power Cycle – under this a complete cut of power has to be done. It simply refreshes the whole system which rectifies the minor issue. Do follow the following steps to perform this.
- Cut off the power supply of Pinter, Wi-Fi, and computer. Turn all these off. After this unplug all the cords out of the main socket. Now just wait for some time.
- After completing the wait time, plug in the cords into the printer, WiFi, and computers. Connect it with the main socket and turn it “ON”. Once the connection got established among them try to check whether the problem is resolved or not.
- Update your system – Make sure your window is up to date. It is an essential part of troubleshooting. An outdated window can be the reason behind the issue “Another computer is using the computer”. Do follow the following steps to update your computer.
- click on start menu and go to the settings options.
- Now tap on “Update and Security”.
- Opt for “Windows update” and tap on the tab “Check for updates”.
- Wait until the updates get downloaded and installed.
- Once the installation is finished, just restart your system and try to use your printer.
Also check on the cables and connectors, in case it is broken or something. Follow all the above steps.
In case Basic troubleshoot doesn’t work for you then do go for the advanced steps mentioned below.
Steps To Fix Another computer is using the printer error
Run the Troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooter is also a good option for detecting problems. Try using windows troubleshooter using following steps:
- Look for “Windows key” and alphabet “I”, tap on these together.
- A box named “Windows Settings” will get displayed on your screen. Now tap on “Update and Security”.
- Opt for the option “Troubleshoot” and on left menu panel.
- Look for the tab “Run the troubleshooter” and click on it.
- Now just wait for the process to get complete.
- Once it is finished just try printing using your printer to check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Alter the Timeout value
In some cases, the printer might be set up in such a way that it times out after being idle for a while. Therefore, in this step, we will be changing these timeout settings on the Printer. For that:
- Look for the “Menu” tab on the printer, tap on it, and select “Set Up”.
- Tap on the “Device Setting” and look for “LAN Setting”.
- Now go for “Other Settings” and opt for “WSD Setting”.
- Look for option “Timeout Setting” and change the time like opt for “10 Minutes”.
Now check whether the issue is resolved or not. In case it still persists just go ahead with some extra steps mentioned below.
- Again look back and go to “Other Settings” by following the above 2 steps.
- Look for the option “Disable LAN RDX” and select it.
- Now, whether the issue got resolved or not.
Update the Printer Driver
An outdated driver can also be the reason behind this issue. Make sure your printer driver is up to date. In case other drivers are also outdated, update them also. Do follow the following procedure to update your printer Driver.
- Tap on the “Windows Key” and alphabet “R” in your keyboard at the same time.
- A “RUN” dialogue box will pop up on your screen. Now just type “devmgmt.msc” in it and press enter.
- The device Manager screen will open. Now look for the “Print queues or printers” option and click on it.
- Locate your installed driver and right-click on it. You will see the “Update Driver” option there, click on it.
- You will see two options there; choose the first one “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
- Follow the on screen instruction.
- Now restart your computer and check whether the problem is resolved or not.
NOTE: You can also download the update manually from the respective manufacturer. In this case choose option 2 “Browse my computer for driver software” in step 5 and select the downloaded file to install the update.
In case the issue is not resolved then try uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it again.
- Again open the “Device Manager” by following the above 3 steps.
- Locate your installed driver and right-click on it. You will see the “Uninstall Device” option there, click on it and “Remove” everything related to driver.
- Now reinstall it by using the CD you have got with your printer by following the given instructions there.
- Now restart your computer and check if the issue still persists.
In case you do not have a CD, you can also download the whole driver package from the internet and install it.
Reboot Printers Spooler service
The spooler is a kind of program which manages multiple users’ access to the particular printer. It is software that identifies all the tasks being sent to the printer. Spooler has a transparent function i.e. it allows users to cancel tasks anytime. Spooler also lets the user continue their work, while the printing procedure is going on.
Many times restarting spooler function resolves the issue. Follow the steps given below to perform this troubleshoot.
- Tap on “Windows key” with alphabet “R” on your keyboard.
- A dialogue box will pop up on your computer screen. Write “services.msc” and press enter.
- Now find “Print Spooler” in the list of services.
- Right-click “printer spooler” and Select “Restart” from option,
- Now restart your computer and check if the issue still persists.
Delete the Spooler Files
In case if the issue is not resolved by disabling the spooler service. Now we have to delete the printer’s spool files. Follow the steps given below.
- Search for “This PC” (Or your PC name) in the search bar and click on it.
- Now look for “C Drive” and click on it to open.
- Now follow this path- “Windows/System32/spool/Printers”. In case asked for permission, simply press “Continue”.
Tips: You can simply copy the path “Windows/System32/spool/Printers” and past to it in the path address bar.
- After being entered into the folder, delete all the files present in the “Printers” folder and exit.
- Now the final step is to restart your system. Have a check on the error “Another computer is using the Printer”.
In many cases this method solves the issue. In case if the problem still persists, do go for the other methods mentioned in this blog.
Check on the malware with a quick scan
Many times the problem is not actually with the printer but with the system. Malware and viruses can attack the computer which restricts it from normal working. Make sure you scan your system regularly. In case the issue “Another computer is using the computer” is because of the virus then do follow the following steps to detect and eliminate the error.
- In the search bar of your computer, type “Command Prompt”.
- As you see the Command prompt icon, click on it and opt “Run as administrator”.
- Write the command “sfc/scannow” in the command prompt box.
- Press enter and the scan will get started. Wait until it finishes up this quick scan.
- Once it is finished, just restart your system and try to print something to check whether the issue is resolved or not.
The scan can take some time so wait patiently and once it is finished, reboot your system and print a document to check if the error persists.
Check on the Printers’ Port
Always use the compatible port as per your printers’ requirements. In case you change the type of cable then you need to adjust the port accordingly. The printer establishes communication with the system via ports. Follow the following steps to adjust the ports in the windows system.
- Type “Control Panel” in your systems search bar Click on the icon to open it.
- Now look for the “View Devices and Printers” option and click on it.
- Locate the printer you are using and right-click on it. Select the option “Printer Properties”.
- Now look for the tab “Ports”.
- Mark the port out of the list, which is compatible with your printer and click “Apply” to save the changes.
In case if the reason behind error “Another computer is using the printer” is related to port then it will get resolved.
Tips To avoid “Another computer is using the printer”
There are many basic things we need to take care of while using printers. The following are some tips to avoid some minor issues.
Contact Official Support
Maximum time the issue like “Another computer is using printer” will get resolved. In case your issue is still unresolved, do contact the official support of your respective printer’s manufacturer and system as well. Sometimes there are some technical faults, which can only be detected by manufacturers. So do check for official support to resolve your issue.
Final Words: Conclusion
The methods provided in this blog have been practically tested. Any issue related to Printers can be resolved using these methods. Do use all these steps carefully in your system. In case you face any issue while applying these steps, do contact us via comment.
Once your problem related to printer gets rectified. Please mention your valuable feedback in the comment section below. Your feedback will encourage us in the direction of producing quality work.