Last Updated on September 8, 2020 by Admin
The linked image cannot be displayed
Email clients are one of the basic needs of windows users. That’s why one can’t afford issues while working with it. But as nothing is flawless, the linked image cannot be displayed is hindering Microsoft’s Outlook users. With the file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted is the latest issue users are getting.
We can understand the need for an office in today’s remote work time. If you have ever exposed your system to malware accidentally. Then, the system files or installation package may have got corrupt resulting outlook the linked image cannot be displayed. Also, if the blockhttpimages registry value changes then this is the obvious error you will get for that specific application. As it makes outlook to address the physical path of a specific image user is facing issue with.
No need to worry, there are various other grounds we have covered ahead in this article to fix the linked image cannot be displayed issue. Stay tuned with us.
This is related to the image, where when the user opens a message contains image files. The image doesn’t get displayed. It simply shows the linked image cannot be displayed.
As per our research outlook users are getting this error while opening the outlook mail. Word users are facing this similar issue when they are trying to open image in word. Excel users are unable to work with the image as well. Some of the pdf file users have also encountered a similar issue while opening pdf files as the image doesn’t get displayed.
According to users, they have started facing this after upgrading to Windows 10. Whereas some have started getting this after updating specific third-party applications. Some of the causes are included below:
There is a vast range of related search volumes with “The linked image cannot be displayed” issue. For an instance, the linked image cannot be displayed excel vba, the linked image cannot be displayed outlook 2013 signature, the linked image cannot be displayed Outlook 2016 Windows 10, among others. Follow the ahead mentioned methods to fix these as well.
Basic approaches are required to fix almost every issue. There are minor things in the system which cause unexpected issues. The linked image cannot be displayed outlook 2016 in windows 10 is one of them. Just go with the below method to fix it.
Check your antivirus software
Many users have reported that they got this issue just after updating their antivirus. This could be your case as well. Check on the antivirus software you are using. As anti-theft software makes changes in the systems security and permissions grounds.
There are chances that your system might be got affected due to such changes for protection purposes. Especially, users who are getting issue “The linked image cannot be displayed” while working over the internet can be the victim of their Antivirus.
Our advice is, set the configuration to default. If this doesn’t works then just disable your antivirus on a short-term basis. If the linked image starts displaying then go for replacing your antivirus. But if this doesn’t fix up the issue then just move to the next section.
Steps to Fix The Linked Image Cannot Be Displayed
Deep issues require a deep approach, that is why we have this section for our readers. Issue “The linked image cannot be displayed” might have arisen due to some deeper configuration related alteration. Just go with the undermentioned methods to get rid of this. Don’t forget to follow the order.
- Step 1
Check out the Registry Value
The registry has an essential role in your system. In case it gets corrupt you will get issues like “The linked image cannot be displayed”. As the registry has values set for each function, in case that gets corrupt or changed it can cause severe damage to your system. Many users have reported that this was the main culprit behind there issue.
Go with the below-given set of steps to change the registry values:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with the letter “R” to open the RUN. Write “regedit” then tap ENTER.
- Now the Registry screen will appear. There are two cases, go as per your system’s setting:
Case 1: If the Group Policy is not enabled
- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Common
Case 2: If the Group Policy is Enabled
- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Common
- Just right tap on the “blockhttpimages” option available in the right pane and choose “Delete”. You will get an on-screen prompt for confirmation, just choose “Yes”. It will get deleted.
- Once done just exit the editor.
Now check if the issue “The linked image cannot be displayed” got fixed or not. If not then head on to the next method that might be lucky for you.
- Step 2
Create a new user account
As per users after changing the local account it got fixed. Sometimes the user account gets corrupt causing Windows 10 mail the linked image cannot be displayed. A new user account can make you get out of this issue.
Go with the below-given steps to create a new local account:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with Alphabet “I”, this shortcut will open the SETTINGS window.
- Tap on the “Accounts” option. Now, in the left pane tap on the “Family & other People” option.
- In the right pane, tap on the “Add someone else to this PC” option available there.
- A prompt will appear, choose “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information”. Then choose “Add a user without a Microsoft account” option.
- Now a screen will appear containing various fields to create the account. Feel this up with the required details then tap “Next”.
Now switch to this new account and check if the issue “The linked image cannot be displayed” got fixed or not. If it is troubling you even now, just switch to the next method.
- Step 3
Check out your Internet Files Folder
After antivirus, another culprit for the linked image cannot be displayed error in an outlook email message. The folder you have chosen for saving the file might be corrupt. So, the files being saved their gets affected and so it cannot get displayed. As per users, they fixed by relocating the temporary Internet files folder under the Internet Options section. This can be your last hack too.
Go with the below-given set of steps to choose the new location for Internet Files:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with the letter “S” to open the search box. Write “Internet Options” and press Enter. Now from the search result choose it to open.
- Now a box will open up, under the GENERAL tab look for the “Browsing History” section. Then tap on the “Settings” toggle available there.
- Again, a new box will appear, just look for the “Move Folder” toggle available in the bottom left and tap on it.
- Now a pop up will appear, just choose the new location for the temporary internet files of your system. Then, tap “Ok” to save the changes.
- At last “Restart” the windows system.
The moment it turns on, just try to operate on the image you were facing issue with. If you find that the previous problem “The linked image cannot be displayed” persists then our next solution can be helpful to you.
- Step 4
Disable the Encrypted Pages configuration
Encryption configuration can prevent the linked image from getting displayed. Many users have found this as a hidden culprit in the issue the linked image cannot be displayed outlook 2013 signature. This can interrupt in while opening word files with images, excel, emails, etc. Users have got rid of this by disabling this feature.
Go with the below-given set of steps to disable the Encryption setting:
- Open the Internet Options window using the above Method 3 STEP 1.
- Now just switch to the ADVANCED tab. Then under SECURITY Option look for “Do not save encrypted pages to disk” and disable it. Then tap “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes you have made.
Now check if the issue “The linked image cannot be displayed” got fixed or not. If it is not then you should go for repairing the software you are getting issue with. Switch to the next method.
- Step 5
Try to Repair the Outlook
As per users’ output, most of them are getting “The linked image cannot be displayed” error while opening the mail containing images. As Windows users prefer Outlook, so undoubtedly this is the program people are getting this error with.
In this method, we are going to repair the installed Outlook package in your system. If you want to repair other related application you suspect other than outlook. Then just choose that one in Step of this method and repeat the whole process. All other instructions are similar.
Go with the below-given set of steps to perform the Outlook repair procedure:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “R” and write “appwiz.cpl” then press ENTER.
- A window named “Programs and features” will appear on your screen. Locate “Microsoft Office” select it then tap on the “Repair” option available at the heading bar.
- Now choose “Online Repair” then tap Repair to confirm the procedure. Just use the on-screen guidance carefully.
Once this is finished check on the error “The linked image cannot be displayed”. If it is not fixed then there might be an issue with your installation package.
We advise you to go for a complete reinstallation of your package. To do so just choose to uninstall in STEP 2. Then download the fresh package from Microsoft official website. Then tap on the downloaded file to start the installation. Complete it according to the installation instruction.
Tips to avoid The Linked Image Cannot Be Displayed
Contact official support
If the issue “The linked image cannot be displayed” yet not resolved. We recommend you to go for official support. As Microsoft has friendly customer support. If the online help does not work, go for your manufacturer’s support site. Visit your nearest official repair center. Make sure you carry all the required documents with you.
Final words: conclusion
As we are at the very end of this article, we hope the issue got fixed by now. If you encounter any trouble while applying steps to fix the “The linked image cannot be displayed” OR you have any other suggestion regarding the solution. Do mention us in the comment box available at the bottom.
Once you are done with this image cannot display issue. Do give us your valuable feedback to encourage our approach.
Be healthy & Keep visiting!