Have you encountered Steam Service Error at any time while launching Steam on your Windows PC? If so, don’t panic too much. It is the most common error message that appears on your device.
Whenever the user tries to run Steam Client on their desktops, it shows the Steam Service Error. At this point in time, you can use all the methods which we have listed in this post.
Millions of game lovers are using Steam as their default platform to purchase, download, and play their favorite games on their Windows 10 PCs.
By creating a Steam account, you can go to its store and buy any game, even the latest ones, at a reasonable price. Due to some issues, users are failed to run the Steam app on their PCs because of the Steam Service Error.
To better understand this error message and tips to fix it, scroll down the below paragraphs.
Steam Service Error: Problem Overview
To get all your beloved video games on one platform and download them on your PC, Steam is the best digital distribution platform. The Steam store offers the latest and older games for all Windows and other users.
Even we can launch the game through the Steam Launcher and play them hassle-freely. Sometimes, while launching Steam on our computers, it shows the following error message,
In order to run Steam properly on this version of Windows, the Steam service component must be installed. The service installation process requires administrator privileges.
Did you know why this Steam Service Error occurs on your Windows 10? If not, then read the below reasons.
Find out the reason for which Steam is not launching on your Windows 10. By doing so, you can pick the best method to resolve the Steam Service Error.
Steam Service Error: Related Problems
Usually, you come across many problems while launching or using Steam Client. Here, we are providing some of those errors, along with their fixes.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
The quick step that you have to take when you see this Steam Service Error is restarting your Windows computer. After rebooting, try to launch Steam and see the error message still occurs or not.
If Steam Client can’t launch successfully, then use the following basic tricks.
Restart Steam Client on your Windows
Due to some hardware glitches or internet fluctuations, you might encounter this problem on your desktop. In this situation, close all the Steam processes through Task Manager.
After that, freshly relaunch Steam Client and check the Steam Service Error appears again or not. If you don’t see any error messages, then open your favorite game and start playing it on your Windows 10.
Run Steam as Admin
Steam is a wonderful digital distribution application developed by Valve. It is designed in such a way that you have to provide certain special rights to use it on your computer.
If you try to open it normally (with your user account), then it will freeze, or crash, or shows Steam Service Error. It is easy to fix this problem by launching Steam Client with Admin Rights.
- Open the File Explorer by pressing Windows + E.
- Navigate to the folder where you have installed Steam.
- Right-click the executable file of Steam -> Click Properties.
- From Steam’s Properties, choose the Compatibility tab.
- Locate the Run this program as an administrator option and enable it by checking its checkbox.
- Save the settings by hitting the OK button.
Check the Steam Service Error is resolved by launching Steam Client on your Windows 10.
Steps To Fix Steam Service Error Issue
Don’t worry! If you still see the Steam Service Error when you run Steam Client on your PC. Below are some more troubleshooting steps that will fix it completely.
- Step 1
Start Steam Service Automatically
We already said that running Steam Service is essential on our computer to launch Steam Client without errors. If the Steam Service stopped running due to any reason, then it would be the major cause of this error message.
To overcome this problem, you have to make the Steam Service start automatically.
- First of all, press Windows + R -> Type services.msc -> Click OK.
- It quickly pops up the Services window with all the services running and stopped on your Windows 10.
- From that, locate Steam Client Service and double-click on it.
- It opens the Steam Client Service Properties, and check the service is running or not.
- If the Steam Client Service is running, then click the Stop button.
- Now, go to the Startup type section and select Automatic from the drop-down menu.
- Click Yes if you see any confirmation window. After that, click the Start button.
- Finally, click OK to save the changes and exit the window.
Now, run Steam Client on your Windows 10 and see the same error message occurs or not.
- Step 2
Repair Steam Client Service
Most users have confirmed that they are facing this problem due to corrupted Steam files. They resolved it simply by repairing the Steam Client Service on their Windows 10.
To do that, you can read the following guidelines and execute them on your PC.
- Go to the Start menu -> Type CMD -> Right-click the Command Prompt -> Choose Run as Administrator.
- Now, CMD will open with the Admin Privileges. Now, type the following command and press Enter.
- “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe” /repair
- Once the command is executed successfully, close the command prompt.
Relaunch the Steam application and test whether the Steam Service Error appears or not.
- Step 3
Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
Is Windows Defender Firewall enabled on your Windows 10? Then it blocks Steam Client to launch on your computer.
Though turning off Windows Firewall will not protect your PC from unknown sources, we recommend you disable it temporarily. Once you finish work with the Steam Client, re-enable Windows Firewall on your device.
- Press Windows + R -> Type Control Panel -> Hit Enter.
- Select System and Security -> Click Windows Defender Firewall.
- Go to the left-side panel, click the Turn Windows Defender Firewall On or Off tab.
- You can see the Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall (Not Recommended) in both private network and public network settings.
- Turn off this setting by clicking the radio button beside it and click OK to save the changes.
Double-click the Steam desktop icon and see the Steam Service Error is shown again or not.
- Step 4
Disable your Antivirus Temporarily
If you can’t launch Steam Client even after disabling Windows Defender Firewall, then turn off your third-party antivirus software also.
Stop running the antivirus app for some time that is while you are going to launch Steam on your PC. After closing Steam Client, you can turn on your antivirus.
If you are using BullGuard Antivirus, then you can disable it using the below instructions.
- Launch BullGuard Antivirus -> Go to the Settings -> Click Advanced located in the top-right corner.
- On the left-side panel, click Antivirus -> Choose Turn Off Antivirus Protection.
- If you see any confirmation prompts, then click yes to confirm.
Now, try to launch Steam on your PC and see the Steam Client Service Error occurs or not.
- Step 5
Repair Corrupted System Files
Sometimes, the corrupted Windows files can also cause Steam Service Error on our PCs. So, we have to repair the system files in order to fix this issue.
- Press Windows + X -> Click Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter to execute it on CMD.
- It begins the system scan and checks for the corrupted files.
- It repairs if any corrupted items are identified. If not, it will show the Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations message.
Once the scanning process gets finished, check the Steam Service Error is fixed.
- Step 6
Uninstall & Reinstall Steam
If all the above solutions failed to solve it, then the only option left to you is reinstalling Steam Client. Before that, you have to remove the previously installed one by uninstalling it from your PC.
- Press Windows + R -> Type appwiz.cpl -> Hit Enter.
- Right-click Steam Client -> Choose Uninstall.
- It starts uninstalling Steam Client completely from your PC. After that, remove if you find any leftovers or folders related to Steam.
- Now, download Steam Client from its official website. Double-click the .exe file of Steam to begin the installation process.
After finishing Steam’s installing task, launch it and start playing or downloading your lovable games on your computer.
Tips To Avoid Steam Service Error
Contact Official Support
Since Valve developed Steam Client, it also provides solutions to all those issues encountered by its users. Now, you got to know all the tips and techniques that can completely wipe out the Steam Service Error on your Windows.
If the error message appears after reinstalling Steam also, the reason might be other than what we explained in this post. So, you can use some other sources like Steam Forums, Reddit, and other official forums.
This digital distribution platform provides free customer support to all its gamers. Therefore, open the official site and contact the Steam support team to get their tips in fixing it.
Final Words: Conclusion
In conclusion, I would like to say that use Steam Client on your Windows devices to get whichever game you want. Even it provides discounts for the top-selling games to allow users to get them for a low price.
Instead of launching directly, you can open the game through Steam Library because it launches quickly. Like this, there are many other benefits of Steam for Windows users.
Use our troubleshooting methods to fix the Steam Service Error. Have you fixed this Steam error with your own methods? Then feel free to share them with us.
Let us know which method helped you in fixing the Steam Service Error on your PC. To clarify any doubts, you can contact us at any time.