Tried many steps but failed to fix the Spacebar Not Working issue? Don’t give up and follow us to use our best techniques to solve this problem.
Spacebar is the main key on our keyboard. We use it repeatedly while working on our desktops/laptops. If the spacebar stops working, then it is impossible to finish our task successfully.
When the key gets stuck or drivers are expired, or any others, one can face this problem. In this guide, we will lead through several steps that will make the spacebar work without fail.
Moreover, you can know some additional information, such as tips that can avoid this spacebar not working issue, etc. Read the paragraphs carefully and apply the instructions to overcome this problem.
Fix Spacebar Not Working: Problem Overview
Daily, users perform a variety of tasks on their devices. For example, we create worksheets, browse the internet, play games, and many others.
In order to finish the work successfully, the hardware components have to run properly. If there is any hardware failure, then we will face trouble in doing our works.
One such issue that most people come across with their keyboard device is the spacebar not working. To give spaces between the characters, we use the spacebar.
If it stops functioning, then there is no alternative, except fixing the problem. That’s the reason why we gathered essential information that helps you in fixing the Spacebar Not Working error.
The reasons that make the spacebar not work on your Windows computer are as follows:
Once you get to know why this problem occurs, you can use the troubleshooting methods listed below to resolve it.
Fix Spacebar Not Working: Related Problems
Users who want to know the methods that will solve the Spacebar Not Working issue on different devices and apps can go through this section.
Fix Spacebar Not Working: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
To help the users, we came up with the basic methods that solve the Spacebar Not Working error on your Windows PC.
Check for Hardware Issues
First of all, you have to check whether there are any hardware issues that cause this Spacebar Not Working issue.
- Connect your keyboard to another computer and see the spacebar key is working or not. If there are no issues, then there may be some other problem that stops the spacebar to work.
- Also, check the keyboard cable that is connected to your computer. If it is loosely connected, then plug it tightly to avoid these errors.
Now, press the spacebar and check that the key is working properly or not.
Clean your Keyboard
Some users don’t clean their computers and hardware components. If the dust is filled on your keyboard, then the keys won’t work at all.
If you continue to use it, then your keyboard will damage permanently. So once or twice a week, clean the keyboard with a soft cloth.
Or else use the vacuum cleaner to remove the dust inside the keyboard.
Note: Never disassemble the keyboard and clean it if you are not a professional user.
Steps To Fix Spacebar Not Working Issue
Don’t lose your hope! We are providing several other methods that will make the spacebar work on your keyboard.
- Step 1
Update Keyboard Drivers
Whether it is a keyboard or mouse, or any other hardware peripheral, it works only when the drivers are correct & up-to-date. So, without any delay, check the keyboard drivers are upgraded.
If the drivers are older and didn’t update for so many days, then do it now in order to fix this Spacebar Not Working issue. For installing the latest keyboard drivers, you have multiple choices, such as manual update and automatic update.
- Open the official manufacturer website of your keyboard on your Windows PC.
- Check the compatible as well as the latest drivers from the site. After that, download and install them on your computer.
- Once you finish installing the keyboard drivers, check the spacebar is working or not.
To update the drivers automatically, you can use the IObit Driver Booster on your Windows 10.
- Step 2
Rollback the Keyboard Drivers
According to a few people, they are saying that the spacebar stops functioning after upgrading the keyboard drivers. If you belong to the same category, then we advise you to roll back the drivers to the previous versions.
To get back the previous keyboard drivers, follow the below procedure.
- Press Windows + R -> Type devmgmt.msc -> Click OK.
- Expand Keyboards -> Right-click the Standard PS/2 Keyboard -> Click Properties from the context menu.
- Go to the Driver tab -> Click the Roll Back Driver button.
- If any pop-up window appears, then click the yes button to continue.
After roll backing the keyboard drivers, test the spacebar by pressing it on your keyboard.
- Step 3
Uninstall & Reinstall Keyboard Drivers
If upgrading and rollbacking the keyboard drivers didn’t fix the Spacebar Not Working issue, then the device drivers may be corrupted.
The one and only option that helps you here is uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard drivers. Without wasting time, let’s reinstall the drivers on your desktop.
- Press Windows + X -> Select Device Manager from the menu list.
- After that, double-click the Keyboards section.
- Right-click the Standard PS/2 Keyboard -> Click Uninstall Device.
- If any confirmation window shows on your screen, click uninstall to proceed further.
- After uninstalling the keyboard drivers, restart the Windows device.
- While restarting the PC, it checks whether there are any hardware changes that took place before shutting rebooting the PC.
Thus, it automatically installs the keyboard drivers on your computer. Mostly, the spacebar starts working without troubling you. But if the problem repeats again, then check out the below tricks.
- Step 4
Turn Off Sticky Keys & Filter Keys
The sticky keys and the filter keys might be enabled because these keys will cause other keys not to function properly. Spacebar, Enter key, and Backspace stop working when these keys are enabled.
Therefore, it is the best option to disable both the sticky keys and filter keys on your Windows computer.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Go to the Ease of Access -> Click the Keyboard tab.
- On the right side, locate the Sticky Keys and Filter Keys. Click the toggle button placed under these sections to disable them on your PC.
Once you finish doing all these steps, check the spacebar resumes its functioning or not.
- Step 5
Scan your Windows PC
Viruses, malware, Trojans, and other malfunctions damage the entire device, including the keyboard and other hardware components. If your Windows gets infected with viruses, then you may see this problem.
Why can’t you clean the PC with the antivirus software and get rid of this issue? If you want to do so, then we recommend the BullGuard Antivirus.
Though your computer contains Windows Defender antivirus, we advise you this BullGuard Antivirus. It scans every corner of the device and removes the virus infections without fail.
After making the Windows PC free from all kinds of virus attacks, see the spacebar not working problem is solved.
- Step 6
Run Keyboard Troubleshooter
Windows provide a built-in tool to repair each of its hardware devices. One such tool that helps you in this situation is Keyboard Troubleshooter.
If you can’t fix the Spacebar Not Working with the above methods, run the keyboard troubleshooter on your Windows 10 PC.
- Press Windows logo on your keyboard -> Select Settings.
- From that Settings window, click Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot tab from the left side panel -> Locate Keyboard on the right-side panel -> Click Run the Troubleshooter.
- After troubleshooting the keyboard, the spacebar may work on your PC.
- Step 7
Check for Windows Update
Sometimes, it’s your fault for not upgrading the Windows OS even though Microsoft released the latest patches. Try installing the newer Windows updates on your computer and check the keys on your keyboard works well, especially the spacebar.
- Open Settings on your PC -> Choose Update & Security -> Under the Windows Update tab, click Check for Updates button.
- If there are any updates, then it automatically downloads and installs them on your computer.
It takes some wait to update Windows OS, so you have to wait until it gets finished. After that, check the spacebar is working on your keyboard or not.
Tips To Avoid Spacebar Not Working
Contact Official Support
Many users have solved it with the methods discussed in this troubleshooting guide. They were successfully fixed and started using the spacebar without any trouble.
Didn’t you solve the Spacebar Not Working on your keyboard after applying all the tricks? In this trouble situation, get it repaired by the technician by visiting the nearest store.
Don’t disassemble the keyboard on your own if you don’t know how to do it. If the spacebar still doesn’t work, then replace the keyboard with a new one.
In case if the keyboard has a warranty, then ask the authorized store to replace it with another product.
Final Words: Conclusion
At last, the keyboard is one of the essential output devices. If any of the keys on the keyboard stops functioning, then it should get repaired immediately.
The spacebar is the mostly-used key, so we have to take quick action when it is not working. The above troubleshooting methods are the best ones to solve this Spacebar Not Working issue.
If you have some more techniques to fix it, then share them with us through this post. Leave a message in the below comment box to get any support from us.
Even you can contact us in order to fix any kind of PC/Gaming issue on your Windows PC.