Last updated on February 26th, 2021 at 01:39 pm
Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing
Fallout 4 is an action game designed by the professionals of Bethesda Gaming Studio. Since it is an award-winning video game, it has thousands and thousands of fans all over the world.
Numerous users of various platforms love to play this game on their systems. Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One users can download it. But due to some reasons, Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing while trying to launch or in the middle of the game.
If you are currently troubling with this Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing issue, then you have landed in the right place. In this post, you can go through the best techniques that fix the issue and tips to avoid the problem in future.
Fallout 4 is an action role-playing game that works on multiple systems and consoles. We will enjoy it a lot while playing this Fallout 4 game. It is the fourth series of Fallout Video Games.
Bethesda Gaming Studio adds many interesting features in order to enhance the gaming performance. Game lovers from all over the world are fond of playing this action-sequence video game on their PCs.
Several users, including me, prefer to play this game on desktop computers rather than PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. That’s why Windows PC users are increasing day-by-day.
Though it places in the top-selling game, it irritates by keeps on crashing while trying to launch it. There are numerous reasons for this Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing, and they are:
In case if you come across this problem, then it is because of the above reasons. Scroll down to the next sections and get the best methods to resolve the problem.
Here you can browse the errors that are related to the Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing issue. When you encounter any of those problems, fix them using the given techniques.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
The basic troubleshooting methods that will eventually solve the Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing are provided below. You can apply those methods by carefully executing the steps.
Check the Disk Space
Fallout 4 game needs a huge amount of empty space on our hard-disk drives. In order to download and install the game, we need to allocate the required space. In addition to that, it requires the free memory space to run without any issues.
One of the reasons for the occurrence of Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing is the low space on the disks. To resolve this problem, better to free up the memory space on your hard-disks. After that, launch the game and see the crashing issue is solved or not.
Disable Antivirus Software
To safeguard our desktops, files, and privacy from intruders and viruses, we install antivirus software on our computers. Even though Windows 10 contains an inbuilt antivirus app (Windows Defender), we use some other third-party programs.
Presently, there are hundreds of antivirus programs in the market. Only a few of them provide reliable service in detecting and removing threats. And other applications will cause many issues. The Fallout 4 game might crashes due to this third-party antivirus software.
That’s why immediately disable it temporarily in order to play the game without any issues.
- Open the Antivirus software you are using and go to the Settings section.
- Now, select the turn off the antivirus temporarily option.
After disabling the antivirus, check the Fallout 4 starts without any crashing problems or not.
We suggest the users to install the security suites that contain the Gamer Mode feature to avoid all these issues, such as BullGuard Antivirus.
Run Fallout 4 with Admin Rights
Some Windows applications, including games, need administrator privileges to run it properly. That’s why you have to open Fallout 4 with the admin rights to avoid the crashing issues.
- Locate the Fallout 4 icon on your desktop -> Right-click on it -> Click Properties.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Enable the Run this Program as an administrator option by checking its checkbox.
- Click the Apply and OK buttons to save the modifications.
Thus, the Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing issue is fixed on your Windows PC.
Steps To Fix Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing Issue
Didn’t you fix the Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing problem with the above basic methods? No problem! Use the advanced tricks listed in this section.
- Step 1
Check the Graphics Card Drivers
Whether it is a keyboard, mouse, or other devices, we have to install the compatible and the latest drivers on our PCs. The same will apply to the graphics card. If the display adapters get older, it will not work and troubles you while launching any graphics-related app.
To fix this Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing problem, you need to install the latest graphics card drivers and update them as soon as possible.
- Press Windows + X and choose Device Manager.
- Once the Device Manager window appears on your screen, expand the Display Adapters by double-clicking on it.
- Choose the Graphics Card you are using currently -> Right-click on it -> Click Update Driver option.
- Now, follow the basic steps on your screen to finish the process.
After updating the graphics card drivers, launch Fallout 4 and see whether it crashes or not.
- Step 2
Set Graphics to Low
Even the user can face these kinds of issues when the graphics quality is configured too high. Most users have reported that they resolved this crashing problem by setting the graphics to low.
Moreover, instead of launching Fallout 4 in Full-Screen Mode, better to run it in the Windowed Mode in order to fix this issue.
- Step 3
Verify the Integrity of Game Cache
Is Fallout 4 game contains any corrupted files and folders? If so, then it will ruin your gaming experience by crashing repeatedly. Even though you try any method, it keeps crashing on your Windows PC.
To check for the corrupted game files & cache and repair them, you need to execute the below guidelines.
- Launch Steam on your Windows computer.
- Go to the Library section -> Select Fallout 4 -> Right-click on it -> Click Properties.
- Navigate to the Local Files tab and click the Verify Integrity of Game files option.
- Now, Steam will verify the game’s files and folders. You have to wait for a couple of minutes to complete this task.
- After completing the verification process, it automatically exits the window.
- Step 4
Reset Fallout 4 Settings
If the above methods didn’t help you in getting out of this problem, then try to reset the Fallout 4 Settings. It is also regarded as one of the best-workable tricks to resolve the issue.
- Press Windows + I -> Click the System Menu -> go to the display from left options.
- Now, check the resolution that is configured on your Windows computer.
- After that, open Fallout 4 Settings and check its resolution. Make sure that both the resolution values are the same.
- Open the Fallout 4 Options, enable the Windowed Mode and Borderless options. Click the OK button to save the changes.
- Come to the Fallout 4 Tweaker window, you need to disable the Enable Intro Video option by unchecking its box. Or else check the checkbox of Disable Intro Video option.
- After that, go to the performance tab locate the Enable God Rays and uncheck its checkbox.
- Finally, click the Save button.
- Step 5
To modify the default user interface and enhance the gaming performance, we install mods in the game. But these custom mods cause many issues, including Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing.
We recommend the user to disable or delete these installed mods and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
- Run Fallout 4 game on your Windows PC.
- Select Mods from the main menu.
- Choose those mods that you want to uninstall in your Library. Select them from the list and click the Disable option. In order to remove them, choose the Delete option.
- Step 6
DirectX allows the applications, software, and games to work with the video and audio hardware directly. In order to enhance the gaming speed and performance, DirectX uses the inbuilt multimedia accelerator features.
If the DirectX Windows app is outdated, then it causes several issues, including Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing. You need to check whether you are using an up-to-date DirectX or an outdated one.
In case if you find the DirectX is older, then immediately update it on your Windows PC.
First of all, check the version of your DirectX by executing this step.
- Press Windows + S -> Type dxdiag -> Select the best-matched result.
- In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, locate the DirectX Version field and see the version number.
Now, to update the DirectX, follow the below steps.
- Press the Windows logo icon and type check for update in the search box.
- Now, click the Check for Updates in the shown results.
- When the Settings page opens on your PC, click the Check for Updates button located in the right-side panel.
- After that, go through some on-screen steps to complete downloading and installation process of the latest DirectX.
Once done with the update process, check the issue is resolved or still persists.
- Step 7
Install the Latest Versions of Fallout 4
Bethesda Gaming Studio regularly releases the latest updates of Fallout 4. If you forgot to install those updates, then you might encounter these kinds of problems.
In order to fix the bugs, improve the performance, the security of the apps, and stability, the manufacturer will release these updates. You must install them to avoid the occurrence of several errors.
Check for the latest versions of Fallout 4 and install them from Steam on your PC to launch it without any crashing issues. When you complete the update process, reboot the PC. Thus, the error is disappeared, and launch Fallout 4 error-freely.
Tips To Avoid Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing
Contact Official Support
I think there is no need to look at this section because the above methods more than enough to resolve the issue.
By chance, if you fail to fix the Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing problem, then we suggest you reinstall it again on your Windows PC.
Even though the problem doesn’t leave you, check out the Bethesda official forums to know any better way to fix it. Here, you might get some other method that removes this error.
And the final option you had on your hands is contacting the Bethesda Support team. If you don’t find anything in the forums, then take help from the expert members of Bethesda.
They will assist you in resolving the problem that you are facing on your Windows 10 PC.
Final Words: Conclusion
To sum up everything, Fallout 4 gamers love to play this game on their Windows computers. Due to several reasons listed in the above sections, it troubles you while launching it.
But within a few minutes, you can easily and quickly fix the Fallout 4 Keeps Crashing problem using the troubleshooting methods. Thus, you can start playing this action game without any issues.
If you like this technical guide or have any queries, then leave a message in the following comment section. Want to keep in touch with several other technical guides? Then subscribe to our blog by providing your email address.