Easy Guide to Fix Driver Overran Stack Buffer
Almost everyone has their computer and while using it many have encountered a Blue Screen of death (BSOD) error called “Driver Overran stack buffer. As we know drivers play the role of a bridge between the Operating system and its hardware. Windows need drivers to perform with hardware. In case any driver gets corrupted, outdated, or missing, this will lead to a problem called “Driver overran stack buffer”. Many reasons are responsible for this issue, some of them are mentioned below.
- Maybe a particular program is using the entire stack. May the program is on infinite repetitiveness.
- Some external devices might be the reason behind it. Prefer disconnecting all the external devices like USB etc.
- There might be a compatibility issue between hardware and the system which is a confusing driver. Also an outdated driver can cause this problem by behaving abnormally.
Driver Overran stack buffer: Problem Overview
Many users are facing issues related to stack while using their system. We all know Memory is an essential asset of any system. For example, your systems parameter is 32 bit but your system’s driver sent you a 64-bit value, in this case you will get a BSOD driver_overran_stack_buffer error
Like here the problem can be with Driver, system, or maybe both. This can also cause your system crash and lead to a BSOD issue. Driver Overran stack buffer is a common issue faced by many users. We have written this blog after extensive research. Do follow all the steps to resolve your issue.
Driver Overran stack buffer: Related & Common Problems
- Unstable behavior of programs occurs in the system.
- A system crash might happen to lead to the BSOD error.
- The data loss issue occurs as the memory will not behave properly.
- Driver overran stack buffer overclock
- Driver overran stack buffer Nvidia, Ryzen, etc
- Code overriding can happen, which occupies more space in the system then the allocated memory for the program.
- Driver overran stack buffer undervolt
- An unauthorized attack can happen, which will lead to the theft of your data.
- Driver overran stack buffer on startup
- Driver overran stack buffer while gaming
Steps to Fix Driver Overran stack buffer Error
When you encounter any BSOD error you get stuck with a blue screen and you would not be able to perform even any troubleshooting steps. In this situation Windows has a Safe Mode feature is meant for troubleshooting. You need to enter in safe mode to perform suggested most of the fixes. To enter Safe Mode, follow the steps below.
- Step-1 : Update the system with the latest updates
- Step-2 : Check on Systems Driver and Update it
- Step-3 : Use Systems Blue screen Trouble-shooter
- Step-4 : Disable Systems fast Start-up setting
- Step-5 : Perform System File Checker scan
- Step-6 : Check on your Systems Hard Drive and Master Boot block
- Step-7 : Check for the Programs causing Problem
- Step-8 : Use Systems Memory Diagnostic tool
- Step-9 : Ultimate solution: Resetting the windows
Update the system with the latest updates
An outdated window is behind many problems faced by users. You need to check on your windows update. Make sure you are using a licensed window. An outdated window can interrupt in the working of Drivers which will cause an error message Driver Overran stack buffer in the system. Do follow up on the steps given below to update your window.
- Press the windows key and latter I key together.
- A screen will pop up on your screen, just select “Update and Security”.
- Now choose “Windows update” and tap over “Check for update” option.
- Just wait for the updates getting downloaded and installed automatically.
- As the installation is finished, restart your system and check if the error still occurs.
Check on Systems Driver and Update it
A driver plays an essential role in this stack Management. As a system entirely depends on the driver to work with hardware, so it is very important to have all the drivers up to date to avoid the problem Driver Overran the stack buffer. Do follow the following steps to update respective drivers as per the systems need.
- Search ‘Device Manager” in the search bar and tap on.
- Look for the related drivers which are outdated and tap on it.
- After right click on the selected driver; go for the option “Update Drivers software”.
- A pop up with “Search automatically for updated driver software” option, just select it.
- Now restart your System to apply these changes successfully.
Use Systems Blue screen Trouble-shooter
The best thing about Windows is it has inbuilt troubleshoot tools. It gives an option to troubleshoot blue screen error using Windows troubleshooter. Do follow the following steps to run this troubleshooter.
- click on the start menu and go to the settings.
- Now look for the “Update and Security” option.
- Go to the “Troubleshoot” section, available on the left side.
- Look for the option “Blue Screen” and tap on it.
- You will see “Run the trouble-shooter” tab, tap on it to start the troubleshooting process.
Once it is started, it will detect problems if there. In case any problem is discovered by Trouble-shooter, simply follow up on the on-screen instructions to fix it.
Disable Systems fast Start-up setting
There is an option available in windows called “fast start-up”. This advantage is given to reduce the start-up time. This advantage can be dangerous for your computer’s health. As in many cases this feature has occurred issues like Driver overran stack buffer.
- search the “control panel” in the search box on the bottom.
- Tap to ope the control panel from the search result.
Note:- Make sure view by large Icon on the right top corner of the page.
- Now select “Power Option”.
- Look for “Choose what the powers button do” option available in the sidebar.
- Go for “Change setting that are. currently unavailable” option.
- Look for “Turn on fast start-up (recommended)” option and unmark it.
- After finishing, tap on the “Save Changes” toggle given below to apply it.
Go for the next step, in case it doesn’t work for you.
Perform System File Checker scan
System File Checker (SFC) is a facility in Windows which deals with the corrupted system files. SFC can scan and restore the corrupted files of the system with a normal one. Do follow the following steps given below to perform this.
- Look for “Command Prompt” in the search bar of your computer.
- Click on it and choose run as administrator option.
- Write statement “sfc/scannow” on the screen and tap Enter to execute.
- Scan will get started automatically.
- Once it is over, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
Note: In case the error is still there, follow the following steps further.
- Now write following statement “i.e.DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth” and tap Enter to execute.
- Once the process is over, restart your computer and once again go for an SFC scan by following the above 5 steps.
This process will repair the corrupted files of your computer. This will be beneficial in terms of eliminating the error.
Check on your Systems Hard Drive and Master Boot block
Well Random Access Memory (RAM) is an essential part of the system, so the MBB or sector zero is. Sector Zero is responsible for the information being booted in systems storage or RAM. You can say Sector Zero is the first section of hard drive occupied with necessary coding and files which are responsible for starting the OS. Now in case, any file of sector zero gets corrupt, it will lead to the issue of Driver overran stack buffer.
- Simply restart computer and continuously press “Shift” key. This will take you to the advanced start-up interface.
- Select the option “Troubleshoot” and then go for “Advanced Option”.
- A screen will pop up with options. Look for “Command Prompt” and click on it to open.
- Now to fix Master Boot block, type these 3 statements i.e. “exe/rebuildbcd” ; “exe/fixmbr” ; “exe/fixboot”, following the Enter key after each input.
After finishing the above, you need to perform one more task called “Check disk”. This will check on the files associated with the hard-drive. To perform, go ahead with the following steps.
- Simply type “chkdsk/C” (Here, use the alphabet your hard disk is named as) and just tap Enter. Do this for each partition one by one.
- Once you are done, just restart the computer and look whether the issue is resolved or not.
Check for the Programmes causing problem
Pre-installed software’s can also be the reason behind the issue Driver overran. Like many times because of their party applications, the system faces the issue. Find out the particular software you have installed recently after which you faced the issue and uninstall it. Do follow the following steps to do so.
- Look for “Control Panel” in your search bar and tap on it to open.
- Navigate to find the option “Programs” and click on it.
- A screen will pop up; look for the option “Program and Feature”.
- you will see all the installed applications there. Now select the recent ones after which you started facing the issue and uninstall it.
If any faulty programme is there, after uninstalling the issue will get resolved. In case it doesn’t that means programmes are not causing issue. Go for the other methods mentioned in this blog.
Use Systems Memory Diagnostic tool
Well computer memory is directly related to this buffer overrun. It is important to check on hardware and motherboard compatibility. If these are not compatible then you may face problems related to stack overflow which will lead you to Blue-screen error as well. Do follow the following steps.
- Tap on the “Windows key” with the alphabet “R” on the keyboard.
- A dialogue box named “RUN” will appear on your screen. Now write statement “mdsched.exe” then press “OK”.
- Now a new screen will pop up i.e. “windows memory Diagnostic” containing two options.
- Select option first i.e. Restart now and check for problems (Recommended) and tap on it.
This procedure will automatically restart the system. It will check on the errors related to Memory. Be patient until the process gets over successfully. In case the issue is related to this, it will get resolved by this method.
Ultimate solution: Resetting the windows
After trying the entire method, in case nothing worked for you. Just go for this option and reset your computer. This option will work for you until or unless there is any severe technical fault.
Please follow the following steps to reset.
- At first turn your computer off, complete power cut for a few minutes.
- Now, power your computer and start it while pressing the “Shift” key continuously.
Note: For Laptop users, under Step 1 just remove the battery of the laptop and connect it directly with power using your laptop charger and turn it on pressing the shift key continuously. This would be more effective.
- An interface will pop up on your screen, choose “Troubleshoot”.
- Now go for “Reset this PC” option.
- Now select “Remove everything’s” option.
- After this go for the option i.e. “only the drive where Window is installed”, appeared on your systems screen.
- Then tap on “Just remove my file” option and finally press “Reset” toggle.
This method is the ultimate way to resolve this issue. This takes the computer in its default mode.
Users FAQ: To Understand the issue better
Define stack-based buffer overran in the system?
Under this condition, data sent by the particular thread or program is more than the space allocated to a particular buffer. It is a condition of malfunction, which shows the issue “Driver overran stack buffer”.
What are stack overflow and heap overflow?
Basically, these two are the types of Driver overran stack buffer.
Stack-based buffer overflows – Under this error can be observed at the time of execution of a particular program. It is the most common buffer issue.
Heap-based attacks overflow- It causes overuse of memory i.e. more than the allocated space, for the particular program.
What is the reason behind the blue-screen issue in the system?
This issue is directly related to hardware and Driver software. In case either of these is outdated or corrupted, the computer will encounter the “Stop Error”. This situation leads to windows crash. In this situation windows can only shut or restart it.
Can replacing a RAM can resolve the issue related with Stack overran?
Yes, it can resolve the error based on the Driver overran stack buffer. Make sure that your RAM is compatible with the other components of your computer. This will surely not cause any issue as long as compatibility is there.
Tips to avoid Driver Overran stack buffer Error
Contact Official Support
As the above steps are examined, just follow it once. In case the issue “Driver overran stack buffer” is persisting, do contact official support. Sometimes there are some deep technical faults, which can only be accessed by Officials. Do contact official support for further support. You can refer Windows help page as well, you may find suitable suggestions for this error.
Final words: Conclusion
Finally we wish our blog will not disappoint you for the issue “Driver Overran stack buffer”. These methods are pre-tested, do follow all the steps as per given instructions. In case you face any issue while applying it, do mention us in the comment box given below.
We would like to know your valuable feedback via the comment box. Your feedback always encourages us in writing more customer-oriented blogs.