Discord is a wonderful application that provides a bunch of features for Windows and other users. One such fantastic feature is screen sharing.
But due to some problems, we see the black screen when we are using the screen share option on Discord. If anyone troubles with this issue, then follow this post until the end.
The Screen Share feature allows us to share our screen with whomever we want. We can enable other persons to see the activities that we are doing on our computer.
Sometimes, the Discord screen sharing feature won’t work and shows the black screen. The main cause of this issue is running the Discord app with insufficient permissions.
In the below sections, you can get to know the tricks that solve this issue, tips to avoid it, and others.
Discord Screen Share Black Screen: Problem Overview
To chat with the gamers, talk to other players, share the screen, and do a lot more activities, developers came up with this Discord app. It supports all the versions of Windows OS, such as Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
Till now, millions of people have downloaded and installed Discord on their devices. Compared to other apps, game lovers use Discord to communicate with their co-players.
Apart from that, the screen share feature helps the users a lot. While doing any program installation or troubleshooting the issue or any other activity, we can enable the Screen Share option on Discord.
By giving permissions, we let others to watch out our desktop screen. Some users complain about this feature, as they are seeing a black screen whenever they share their screen through the Discord app.
To help Discord users, we examine the issue and concluded the following reasons cause the Discord Screen Share Black Screen issue.
Now, move to further sections to read the troubleshooting steps and apply them on your Windows 10.
Discord Screen Share Black Screen: Related Problems
In this section, you will learn about problems that are similar to this Discord Screen Share Black Screen issue.
Discord Screen Share Black Screen: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Before using any other tricks, restart your computer and launch the Discord client to check the issue is fixed or not. If you still see the black screen, then move to the below-methods.
Close & Relaunch Discord App
The simple trick that we suggest you fix this Discord Screen Share Black Screen issue is closing all the Discord processes running on your computer. After that, relaunch Discord freshly to use the screen share option. To do so, follow the below steps.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Right-click the Discord process and click End Task.
- You have to shut down all other Discord processes on your Windows 10.
After rebooting the PC, check the Discord Screen Share functions properly or shows the black screen.
Run Discord as Administrator
Some Discord features work well even when you launch it without any special rights. But features like Screen Share needs administrator rights to avoid these black screen errors. For that,
- Go to your desktop screen -> Right-click the Discord icon -> Click Properties.
- Open the Compatibility tab -> Enable the Run this program as an administrator option.
- Save the changes and exit the window.
Now, try to share your screen with other Discord users and see the problem occurs.
Run Discord App in the Compatibility Mode
Which version of Windows Operating System are you using? Is this Discord Screen Share Black Screen occurring after upgrading your Windows 10? Then the latest updates might be incompatible with the Discord app.
To get rid of this issue, run the Discord app in compatibility mode, as shown below.
- Right-click the Discord desktop shortcut -> From the context menu, select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab -> Check the Run this program in the compatibility mode for option -> Select the Windows version older than the currently using one (Windows 7 or Windows 8).
- Click OK to save the changes.
If running Discord client in the compatibility mode didn’t fix the error, then move to the next section.
Steps To Fix Discord Screen Share Black Screen Issue
Don’t worry! There are several other best techniques that will surely solve this Discord Screen Share Black Screen issue.
- Step 1
Disable Hardware Acceleration
To fix this Discord Screen Share Black Screen issue, disable Hardware Acceleration on your Discord settings.
To run normal apps, the standard CPU is much enough. But in order to use the screen share option, it uses other available hardware components on your Windows PC.
If there are any weaker hardware components, then the screen turns black while sharing the screen on the Discord app. That’s why turn off the hardware acceleration.
- Launch Discord app -> Click Settings or the Gear icon.
- On the left panel, click the Appearance tab.
- If the hardware acceleration option is enabled, then disable it.
- In case if the hardware acceleration is turned off, then turn it on and check the problem is fixed.
- Step 2
Update Display Adapters
Apps like Discord need updated graphics card drivers. If you are running older display drivers on your computer, then install the new ones to overcome this issue.
- Open the official manufacturer of your display card (NVIDIA or AMD Graphics Card).
- After that, search for the compatible drivers -> Download and install them on your PC.
After upgrading the GPU card drivers manually, see the black screen occurs while screen sharing or not.
Note: To update the drivers quickly and easily, use IObit Driver Booster on your Windows 10. It is the world class driver update software that installs the latest drivers automatically on your computer.
- Step 3
Clear Discord Cache
Didn’t you remove the Discord Cache folder from your Windows 10? Then do it now to use Discord’s screen share feature without any black screen errors.
- If Discord is open, close it to proceed further.
- Press Windows + R -> Type %appdata% -> Hit Enter.
- Select Discord folder from the list -> Press the Del key on your keyboard.
- It moves the Discord cache folder to the trash folder.
Now, see whether you can share your desktop screen successfully with other Discord users.
- Step 4
Close Unwanted Programs
Multi-tasking saves our valuable time, but running several apps at once creates problems in some cases. There are a few programs that conflict with each other. If that happens, then we will see a black screen on our desktop.
In case if there are any other apps running on your PC while using Discord client, then close them to use its screen share error-freely.
- Right-click on the empty area of System Tray -> Click Task Manager.
- Right-click on that process that consumes more CPU and memory -> Select End Task -> Click Yes to confirm.
- You have to repeat the above step to close all other Discord processes.
Now, see the Discord Screen Share Black Screen error occurs again or not. If the problem appears again, then use the following techniques.
- Step 5
Switch from Full-Screen to Windowed Mode
If you are facing this Discord issue in full-screen mode, then run the application in the windowed mode. To switch the Discord app from full-screen to windowed mode, press Ctrl + Shift + F keys on your keyboard.
- Step 6
Turn Off the Use Latest Technologies Option
Some users say that if the “Use our latest technology to capture your screen” option is enabled, then they are seeing this issue while sharing the screen.
To overcome this problem and share the screen hassle-freely, execute the below steps.
- Launch Discord client on your Windows 10.
- At the bottom-left corner of the Discord, click Settings.
- Click Voice and Video tab -> click the toggle button to turn off the Use our latest technology to capture your screen.
Finally, launch Discord and check the black screen error occurs again or not.
- Step 7
Enable Reduced Motion
Reduced Motion is one feature that is completely related to the animations and transitions in the Discord app. If the Reduced Motion is turned on, then it will control the animation timing.
By doing so, the Discord application will run smoothly and fastly. So, try enabling the Reduced Motion and fix the Discord Screen Share Black Screen issue on your PC.
- Open Discord client on your Windows 10 -> Select Settings.
- Under the Settings page, click the Accessibility tab.
- Disable the Sync with Computer option by unchecking the checkbox.
- After that, tap the toggle button beside Enable Reduce Motion option.
Close and restart the Discord app and check the problem is fixed.
Tips To Avoid Discord Screen Share Black Screen
Contact Official Support
In most cases, at least the advanced methods in this post solve the Discord Screen Share Black Screen issue. If you still see the blank screen on your desktop and unable to use the screen share feature, then update the Discord app.
If the black screen again appears, then uninstall Discord from your PC. After that, completely delete the files, attachments, and other related data of Discord from the device. Now, open the Discord official website and install it freshly.
If reinstalling Discord also disappoints you, then directly contact the customer support team of Discord. Ask them for their help and get appropriate instructions to fix it on your Windows 10.
Final Words: Conclusion
To sum up everything, Discord Screen Share is the most useful feature for all types of users. Software employees, students, business people, and other users use this Screen Share feature on their devices.
Whenever Discord screen shows black/blank while using sharing the screen, immediately use the troubleshooting methods given above.
We request people to share the information on those techniques that helped them to resolve this issue. If you have any queries on this troubleshooting guide, ask us for help through the comment box.
Scroll down to the bottom, provide your email, click on the subscribe button to get the notifications on the latest blog.