Is your screen turns grey while trying to open the Discord app? Are you unable to open and access the features of Discord on your Windows PC? Don’t panic! This troubleshooting guide is for you.
Many users in recent times have complained about the Discord Grey Screen problem. For all those users, we came up with those workarounds that can fix this issue.
Discord is a wonderful Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and instant messaging application. Apart from gamers, normal users are also using it for chatting with their friends.
Especially for Windows desktop users, Discord is available in the app version. We can download it on our PCs and use it whenever we want. Along with that, we can directly use it on our web browsers.
But whenever users try to open Discord through the Windows app, they see a grey screen. It occurs only when the Discord is stuck in the login process.
Scroll down to the following sections and fix this Discord Grey Screen issue within a few hours.
Discord Grey Screen: Problem Overview
Developers are designed several instant messaging applications for Windows and other users. Compared to all others, Discord stood in the top place.
Millions of users have downloaded the Discord app on their Windows computers. And several other people are accessing it through their browsers.
One can easily communicate with this Discord app via text chat, video call, and voice call. Most of the gamers use Discord as their default messaging app to chat while playing video games.
Like this, there are several other interesting features included in this Discord. But in few situations, this Discord application troubles the user while opening it.
When you double-click the Discord app on your Windows, it will not open it; instead, it shows the grey screen. It is nothing but, it fails to sign in to your Discord account.
There are particular reasons for the occurrence of Discord Grey Screen error. They are:
We have included the major reasons, and there might be some other else also. Find and fix the issue by applying the best solution.
Discord Grey Screen: Related Problems
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Here are some of the simple mechanisms that may fix the Discord Grey Screen issue on your Windows 10.
Close Discord and Restart Again
Are you running multiple processes on our Windows PC? Then there might be one or more programs that are conflicting with your Discord app.
That’s why you have to close all the applications, including Discord. After that, launch the Discord app alone and see that it will show the login screen or stuck in the login process.
- Press Windows + X -> Select Task Manager.
- Under the Processes tab, right-click the app that you want to kill and select End Task.
- Sometimes, it shows the confirmation pop-up, so click yes to confirm.
- Like the above, you have to terminate all the processes running on your device.
- Now, double-click the Discord desktop shortcut and see the grey screen appears or not.
Log in to your Discord Account via Browser
If you see the grey screen even after freshly relaunching it, then try to load the Discord on your web browser.
Instead of opening it through the Windows app, you can check whether the Discord Grey Screen occurs while loading on your browser or not.
- Open your default web browser (Chrome or Firefox) -> Type the Discord official website in the address bar -> Hit Enter.
- Now, try to log in to your account. If you don’t see any grey screen, then you have successfully logged in to your account.
Check Discord Server Status
Sometimes, we face problems either you launch Discord through a desktop version or web browser. One of the reasons might be server down issues.
Due to maintenance reasons, Discord servers will go down completely. That’s the reason why you face grey screen issues while trying to open it.
So, check the status of Discord servers, and if they are really down, then wait until they are completely back.
Steps To Fix Discord Grey Screen Issue
Don’t waste your time if you don’t solve the Discord Grey Screen error with the basic methods. Use the advanced techniques listed below and fix them on your system.
- Step 1
Run Discord in Admin Mode
Whenever you want to use Discord through the desktop app, we request you to run it as an administrator. Due to the lack of app permissions, some applications will show these kinds of issues.
Discord will also come under this category, so you have to open it with administrator privileges.
- Right-click the Discord desktop icon -> Click Run as Administrator from the context menu.
- It opens the User Account Control window to confirm or not, so you have to click the Yes button to continue.
Now, check whether Discord is stuck in the login process and shows the grey screen or not.
- Step 2
Disable Proxy Servers or VPNs
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) or Proxies bypass the internet traffic and allows us to browse faster and securely. But these proxy servers will stop loading some applications on our desktops.
Discord Grey Screen issue may happen if you have enabled proxy servers on your Windows PC. If that’s true, then disable them to fix it.
- Click Start menu -> Type Internet Options -> Press Enter.
- Go to the Connections tab -> Locate the LAN Settings button and click on it.
- Disable all the options under Automatic Configuration and Proxy Server sections.
- Click the OK button in LAN Settings and Internet Options wizards to save the changes.
Now, test the Discord Grey Screen occurs on our Windows PCs or not.
- Step 3
Flushing out the network cache is the best way to enhance the internet speed on our desktops. If the Discord Grey Screen occurs due to any network glitches, then it will be fixed after executing the below steps.
- Press Windows + X -> Click Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type ipconfig /flushdns command and press Enter.
Launch Discord on your Windows PC and see whether you can log in or not.
- Step 4
Want to open Discord on your browser without these grey screen errors? Then check whether your web browser contains any AdBlocker extensions enabled or not.
If you have installed any AdBlocker Plugins, then disable them while loading the Discord site. In case if you are using the Chrome browser, then execute the following instructions.
- Click the Control and Customize Google Chrome -> Select More Tools -> Click Extensions.
- Locate the AdBlocker extension -> Turn it off by clicking the Toggle button.
- Step 5
Delete Discord Cache
When you install Discord, it starts storing the cache data on your Windows PC. Since these caches frequently interfere with the Discord app, it is unable to perform its functionalities.
That’s why we recommend the users regularly delete the Discord cache data on their computer. Now, clear the cache from the Discord folder to open it without any errors.
- Press Windows + R -> Type %appdata% -> Click the OK button.
- Under the AppData location, you will see a huge list of folders. From that, select Discord and delete it by pressing the Del key on your keyboard.
- Open the LocalAppData directory by executing %localappdata% in the Run box.
- In the same manner, click the Discord folder -> Right-click on it -> Click the Delete option.
After restarting your Windows PC, check the Discord Grey Screen error occurs while loading it or not.
- Step 6
Run System File Checker (SFC)
At last, run System File Checker or SFC scan on your computer to find the corrupted system files and repair them. Due to corrupted files, Discord will not launch properly and shows these grey screens.
- Press Windows + X -> Click Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter to execute it.
- It starts verifying all the system files by scanning thoroughly and replaces the corrupted items with the right ones.
Even you can use third-party system repair tools in order to fix the corrupted system files. Restart the PC and start using the Discord app without any errors.
Tips To Avoid Discord Grey Screen
Contact Official Support
By the end of the last method, you will get rid of this Discord Grey Screen and successfully log in to your account on your PC. Since several users have fixed it with the above steps, we believe you will also solve it.
In case if Discord is still stuck at the login process, then uninstall Discord completely from your computer and remove the related files. After that, freshly reinstall it again on your PC.
If not, try to contact Discord’s support team and tell them about your problem. They will come up with any other best instructions that can fix it. Even you can catch them up through Twitter also.
Final Words: Conclusion
In the final words, I can say that Discord is the most popular instant messenger for Windows PCs. Through this messaging app, we can share our thoughts via text, video, and voice calls.
Even we can transfer the media files to other Discord users. Whenever you face this Discord Grey Screen, just follow a simple trick that is access Discord on your browser.
In order to fix this issue and open it through the Windows app, then use all the troubleshooting methods given above. To ask any queries or provide any suggestions, you can use the below comment section.
Hopefully, you got to know how to handle the Discord Grey Screen issue when it occurs on your Windows PC.