Last updated on August 31st, 2020 at 09:26 am
Are you struggling with the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application? According to reports, the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application sihost.exe including many more is troubling the windows users.
The good news is, stack-based buffer overflow fix is possible. There are range methods listed in this article from SFC/DISM scan to Clean boot to help you out. These are applicable as well as effective solutions including others like a clean boot and complete windows re-installation. Before that let’s find what is meant by the stack-based buffer.
When a specific program writes data to the memory located under stack crosses the buffer length or allocated memory is known as Stack-based buffer overrun or overflow. In simple words shortage of memory happens for the same work, this indicates either your system file got malfunctioned or there is an endless write issue
Whatsoever, no need to worry! just follow the methods gathered by our team to fix the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.
The System Detected An Overrun Of A Stack-based Buffer In This Application: Problem Overview
In this when a user tries to get into safe mode File explorer keeps opening in it i.e. explorer.exe the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.
This has been also observed by users while installing discord applications to their system. Online game steamers are also being affected by the overrun of a stack buffer issue. Like, the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application valorant, RuneScape, etc.
There can be various reasons behind this deep error as we have discussed below.
The System Detected An Overrun Of A Stack-based Buffer In This Application: Related Problems
There is a vast range of related issues under the overrun of stack buffer. This is because every function is based on memory and the number of writes a specific program has. That’s why It has been observed in different applications like visual studio, chrome, Excel, among many more. Some of the related issues are mentioned below, follow the same method to fix these as well.
Every trouble has a fundamental approach, so this too. We can’t ignore the malware attacks here. Most of the time this is the reason for the Overrun of a stack-buffer issue. No need to worry just head on the below-mentioned method.
Make your System Virus-free
A malicious virus can cause “The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application” error. When a specific application crosses the limit of the buffer allocated, this shows the possibility of the presence of malware in it. Malware overtakes the control of that specific application resulting in writing more data than allowed.
In case you do not have a third-party antimalware then go with your Windows defender for an offline scan.
Follow the below-given steps to run your Windows defender:
- Go to the Start menu and look for “Settings” in the search bar. You can also get it by tapping the “Windows key” with the alphabet “I” in Windows 10.
- Once the settings screen appears, choose “Update & Security” then go for “Windows Security”.
- Now, tap on “Virus & threat protection” available under Protection areas of the right pane.
- A Windows Defender Security Center screen will appear, just tap on the “scan options” option.
- Now, choose “Windows Defender Offline scan” and tap on “Scan now” toggle.
This process may require “Restart” and might take up to 15 to 20 minutes. Just wait to get good news if it fixes the issue for you.
Step To Fix The System Detected An Overrun Of A Stack-based Buffer In This Application
Overran of stack-based buffer in the application is a deep glitch so it requires an advanced approach. We have aggregated all the possible methods for you to fix “The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application”.
In case you are unable to boot your system, just get into a safe mode to perform these methods.
- Step 1
Common step: Switch to Safe Mode
As you are getting “The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application” error, there are chances that you must be prevented from accessing a few applications or settings in the normal mode. Safe mode is the diagnostic startup mode which works on limited access.
As you have “explorer.exe the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application” issue so you might get explorers pop ups abnormally in safe mode. In that case, just enter a safe mode to follow all the methods mentioned in this blog. Follow the below steps to get into safe mode whenever required:
- Turn on your system as you see the windows logo appearing on the screen, just turn it off forcefully using the power button. Repeat this 3 times. After that when you will turn it on, automatically it will get on the “Advanced Recovery” screen.
- Tap on the “Troubleshoot” option there. Then go with “Advanced Options” and choose “Startup Settings”.
- Now tap on the “Restart”. You will see a list of options, go for “Safe mode with Networking”.
Now, you are in safe mode. Follow these methods if required.
Note: Also notice that, if the error does not appear in safe mode. That means the default system drivers and configurations are correct and are not the culprit here.
- Step 2
Go for SFC and DISM Command
Buffer overrun can also impact your system files or the system image file. Utilities like System file checker and Deployment Image servicing and management can help you out. These are made to fix the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application svchost/sihost.exe/dwn.exe. You just need to be patient while the procedure as it takes time.
Follow the below steps to perform this scan:
- Look for “CMD” in the start search bar of your system. right tap on “Command Prompt” and choose to “Run as administrator”.
- Now go for the below-given command lines one by one followed by Enter after each of these.
- DISM /online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth.
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
- DISM /online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth.
- Once it is finished type “sfc/scannow” and press Enter.
- Once finished, exit the window and “Restart” your system.
Now, check if the issue the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application got fixed or not. If not then go for the next method.
- Step 3
Go for Systems Clean boot
As per our observation, third party applications also have a role in this issue. Like in case of any startup third party program is corrupt then you might get, the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. The clean boot can help you to fix this issue as well as find the culprit startup service.
Follow the below steps to perform a clean boot:
- Tap on the Windows logo key with alphabet “R” to get the Run box. Type “msconfig” followed by Enter.
- Switch to the “Services” tab and mark “Hide all Microsoft services” option. Then tap on the “Disable all” toggle. This will stop all the third-party services.
- Go to the “Startup” tab now and tap on the “Open task manager”.
- Once it is opened, just “Disable” all the programs one by one under the startup tab.
- once done close the task manager and tap on the “Apply” toggle then “OK” of Systems configuration box.
- After finishing the step, just Restart your PC.
Once it turns on, check if the issue got fixed or not. If not then go with our next method.
Note: You can also re-enable these programs one by one followed by system “Restart” after each Enable. This will help you in finding out the culprit program. Once you know just remove that or let is disabled.
- Step 4
Go for System Restore
Restoring your system in a previous healthy state can fix this issue for you. This method is only for those who have made a restore point before getting this overran of the stack buffer issue.
Go for the below steps to perform the System Restore:
- Go to your starts search bar (Win key + S) and type “Create a restore point”, locate it from the search result and tap on it to open.
- A “System Properties” named box will pop up. Now, tap on the “System Restore” toggle available below the System Protection section.
- Now a list of available restore points will be there, just choose the one which is not nearby to the dates you started facing Overrun of a stack-based buffer issue. Then tap on the “Next” toggle.
- A confirmation might be required, just follow as said. Then tap on the “Finish” toggle to start this process, it will require “Restart” to apply all these alterations.
This will surely fix this issue for you. In case you didn’t have any restore point before. Then follow up with the next method to fix it.
- Step 5
Go for Startup Repair
This fix is required in case you are unable to boot your system. Startup repair fixes the inner bugs and repairs your system. this will fix dwm.exe the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This can be done in two ways; both the ways have been mentioned below.
Startup Repair using System Recovery
- Turn on your system as you see the windows logo appearing on the screen, just turn it off forcefully using the power button. Repeat this 3 times.
- After that when you will turn it on, automatically it will get on the “Advanced Recovery” screen.
- Tap on the “Troubleshoot” option there. Then go with the “Advanced Options” and choose the “Startup Repair” option.
- On the next page, choose your user account and provide the password. Afterward, just follow the on-screen instructions and tap “Continue” toggle.
Startup Repair Using a bootable device:
In case you are unable to access your systems recovery drive. Go for these steps.
- Go for making a bootable USB device using the Windows media creation tool in a healthy system.
- Once it is done, connect with your system (or Troublesome system). you will see a Windows setup window, just choose your preferred language including other required details and tap “Next”.
- Now, tap on “Repair your computer” to switch to the recovery mode. Now follow up Step 2 of the above section of this method to get into “Startup Repair”.
This will start the detection and repair process. Once it is finished check if your issue got fixed or not. If not the follow up on the next method.
- Step 6
Go for Windows Clean re-installation
In case none of the above worked for you then re-installing the Windows operating system is the only fix for you. Make sure you have saved all your essential data to an external drive before proceeding with this.
To perform clean re-installation follow this link to get steps. You can also try Resetting your Windows 10 before going for a completely clean reinstallation of your Windows 10. Well once you are done, the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application is resolved here.
Tips To Avoid The System Detected An Overrun Of A Stack-based Buffer In This Application
Contact Official Support
In case yet this issue is not fixed then we recommend you contact your manufacturer via its official website. They will surely help you out on this by finding the ground of issue. Sometimes issues are related to other things like hardware.
You can visit the nearest service center to get an offline help as well. Do take the required documents if your system is under warranty. Do not panic! It is fixable.
Final Words: Conclusion
As we are done here, we hope that the methods mentioned in this blog helped you to fix the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application windows 10. Do let us know if you have any alternate solution. In case you face any issue while applying these, just contact us freely.
Once you are done with this error, don’t forget to write a few words for us. Do follow the comment section available below. Keep visiting us!