Last updated on March 29th, 2020 at 08:13 pm
Guide on How to Fix Google Chrome Not Responding Issue in Simple Steps
Google chrome is the latest modern browser from Google. Chrome browser is used by maximum number of internet users across the globe for browsing web pages. Chrome browser is a wonderful application which is also available on smartphone devices.
Google chrome is not responding is an issue which is sometimes faced by chrome users. Users may face chrome is not responding issue on their computer or laptop for a variety of reasons. The user becomes unable to browse internet when Google chrome is not responding.
Google chrome not responding: Problem Overview
Technical reasons affects the performance of chrome browser and causes Chrome is not responding issue on the computer. Opening too many tabs at once, some script on a webpage or some problem from server on one of the browsing pages can also cause Google chrome not responding constantly on the system.
Many users of chrome browser have reported that they sometimes experiences browser not responding / freezing problem. When Google chrome keeps not responding / freezing the user is unable to click on anything on the webpage he or she is visiting, sometimes whole browser get stuck completely.
If you are wondering how to fix google chrome not responding?
Read this detailed guide to fix chrome is not responding problem and use chrome swiftly on your computer.
We should start with some basic check before we get ourselves in to the complexity of the matter. We aim to save your precious time hence we have come with most simple and basic reason to fix the Google chrome is not responding problem.
The above steps should fix the chrome is not responding problem on the computer. However, if the problem persists then you should explore more complicated aspects of this problem and try these steps given below.
- Step-1 : Disable All Chrome Extensions
- Step-2 : Clean the Chrome Browser
- Step-3 : Reset All Chrome Settings to Default Factory Settings
- Step-4 : Add the Chrome Browser to Windows Firewall Exception
- Step-5 : Clear Cache Cookies and Browsing History from the Chrome Browser
- Step-6 : Update Chrome Browser to Fix Not Responding Issue
- Step-7 : Scan Your Computer for Viruses to Fix Google Chrome is Not Responding Issue
Advance Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Google Chrome Not Responding Problem
Disable All Chrome Extensions
When you face the chrome is not responding issue with your chrome browser then this is the first thing to try. You should disable all chrome extensions in the settings. Extensions may interfere with the functions of chrome browser and cause it to become non responsive. Follow these steps to disable chrome extensions
- Click the three dot icon on the top right corner of the chrome browser.
- then click on the more tools option and select the Extensions option.
- In the new window click on the blue button on every extension.
Now restart the chrome browser. Chrome should work fine. This means that one of your extensions is causing the Google chrome is not responding problem.
Still facing the chrome is not responding issue then try the next method.
Clean the Chrome Browser
Modern Chrome browser comes with the facility to clean harmful software from computer which may cause problems to the chrome browser. You should use this facility to fix the Google chrome is not responding problem. Follow these steps given below
- Go to Chrome Menu (Click on the icon in the top right corner).
- Click on the settings icon in the window.
- Expand the Advance menu in the left pane.
- Scroll down and click on the Reset and clean up option.
- Click on the Clean-up Computer menu.
Follow the on screen instructions to clean the computer. Restart the browser when you are done. Also, restart the computer if you are prompted to do so. Cleaning up process should fix the Google chrome is not responding issue on the computer.
If you are still facing the chrome is not responding issue then try the next chrome not responding fix.
Reset All Chrome Settings to Default Factory Settings
You should reset all your chrome settings to fix the Google chrome is not responding issue. This method is most likely to fix the chrome not responding issue on your computer. Perform the steps as given here.
- Click on the top right corner of chrome browser.
- Select the Settings option in the window.
- Click on the Advance menu option in the new window.
- Now select the Restore settings to their original default option.
- Click Reset in the new window that opens
This resetting option should fix Google chrome is not responding problem. When you will restart your chrome browser it should work just fine. When the issue is not solved then see the next paragraph.
Add the Chrome Browser to Windows Firewall Exception
Sometimes, the Windows built-in firewall system may interfere with the browser application and cause the Google chrome is not responding problem. Firewall may not recognize chrome browser as genuine software as chrome is not developed by Microsoft.
Perform the next steps on your computer to add chrome browser to Windows firewall exception list.
- Type in “windows firewall” in the box on the taskbar.
- Click on Windows defender firewall from the search result.
- Click and select the Allow an app or feature through the windows defender firewall option.
- Look for the Change settings button and click on it.
- Click on Allow another app.
- now click on browse option.
- Select Google Chrome browser from the list of programs.
Note: You can find the google chrome path “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application”.
- now Click on Add then click OK.
Now you have successfully added the chrome browser to the Windows firewall. Restart your computer and check whether the chrome browser is working or not. If the Google chrome is not responding error is still not fixed then you should read the next paragraph.
Clear Cache Cookies and Browsing History from the Chrome Browser
When you are facing Google chrome is not responding issue on your computer then you should try this method. Chrome browser can become non responsive due to excess of cache data and browsing history. Lots of cookies can also cause troubles for chrome.
Follow these steps to clear cache, cookies, and history on browser
- Click on the top right corner menu icon in chrome.
- Select the settings option.
- Click on the Advance Tab in the new Window that opens.
- Now click on Privacy and Security.
- Now Click on clear browsing data.
- In the next window select all checkboxes named.
- Cookies and other site data, cache images and fils, site setting and hosted app data.
- Now click on the Clear Data button.
After completing the above steps wait for the chrome browser to delete all data. When you will restart chrome browser then the chrome is not responding issue should be fixed. If you are stil facing the problem then read the next paragraph.
Update Chrome Browser to Fix Not Responding Issue
Perform these steps on your computer to fix Google chrome is not responding and run browser smoothly
- Launch the Chrome browser.
- Click the menu in the top right corner of the browser.
- Select the About Google Chrome from left option menu.
- The new window that opens will search for any available updates.
Let the Chrome download and install all the necessary updates. The updated browser is expected to recover from Google chrome is not responding error. Try the next method if your problem still persists.
Scan Your Computer for Viruses to Fix Google Chrome is Not Responding Issue
If you have viruses on your computer then it can also lead to the chrome is not responding problem. To fix this problem you must scan your computer for viruses.
- Launch your antivirus application window
- Look for the Scan section
- Select the Full scan or Full computer scan
- Let the antivirus run the full scan on the computer
Scanning should fix the chrome is not responding problem on your computer. It will remove any antivirus on your computer.
If you do not have antivirus then you should buy one. There are many antivirus products on the market. Some of the good ones are MacAfee, Bit Defender, Kaspersky, and Quick Heal.
Advance Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Google Chrome Not Responding Problem
Close Chrome Previous Tabs in Task Manager
When you are using chrome for longer period of time and working on multiple tabs then these tabs can cause the Google chrome is not responding problem. You need to close extra tabs in such a scenario. Sometimes, a tab is not properly closed. This means that the tab is still running in the background. Follow these steps to close all tabs properly in chrome browser
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc buttons simultaneously.
- In the task manager, select the processes tab.
- Under the Tab choose chrome related processes and click on End Process button.
Keep repeating the process until all chrome related tasks are not ended. When you will start the chrome browser again then it should work fine. Otherwise, read the next paragraph.
Run SFC Scan to Fix Chrome is Not Responding
Crucial files related to chrome browser can become corrupt for several reasons. This can lead to Google chrome is not responding issue. You need to run the SFC utility to fix corrupt files. First you need to run the SFC scan. Follow these steps as given below
- Click on Start menu.
- Type in “cmd” in the box.
- Right-click on the command prompt option.
- Choose to run as administrator option.
- In the console window type sfc /scannow and press enter.
Let the utility run and scan for corrupt files on the system. This utility will automatically fix all corrupt files. The chrome is not responding problem should be solved on your computer. Otherwise, try the next method.
Clear the DNS Cache
When Google Chrome is not responding on your computer then the reason could be a crucial technical aspect. DNS cache could resolve the chrome is not responding. Follow the steps given below to troubleshoot this problem
- Search “cmd” in the search box on the bottom.
- Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator option.
- Enter the command “ipconfig /flushdns” and press the enter button.
- Now type “Netsh winsock reset again” press enter.
Now Re-start Your Computer
The above command will perform some crucial actions and clear the DNS cache from your system. Now the chrome is not responding issue should be resolved. If you are still facing the problem then try the next method.
Uninstall and Reinstall Chrome Browser to Fix Chrome is Not Responding
When none of the above methods works then you should try uninstalling and reinstalling chrome as the last resort. Having a fresh installation of chrome browser with the latest version and new files will cause no troubles for the user. See how to uninstall and reinstall the Chrome browser.
- Click on the Start menu and select settings.
- Click on Apps.
- click on App and features.
- Select Chrome from the list of apps and click on Uninstall.
Let the system uninstall chrome and all of its components from the computer. Once the uninstallation is done visit the official chrome website. Download the latest version of the chrome browser most suitable for your operating system on this website.
Tips to Avoid Google Chrome Not Responding
You can avoid issues with chrome browser by taking care of certain things. Maintaining your computer properly can save you from time taking issues with chrome browser. Follow these tips to avoid facing Google chrome is not responding issue on your computer.
Final Words: Conclusion
We hope that you find a solution for the Google Chrome is Not Responding problem. We have covered almost every important step that can be helpful in solving the chrome is not responding issue. We have given steps for most crucial steps to fix this problem.
Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below. Your comments encourage us to write more effective blogs. You can also ask any questions if you have regarding this blog. If you need help with something else then also we are happy to help. Do let us know in the comments below.