Is the Spotify application not responding while trying to open it on your Windows PC? Want to listen to your favorite music on Spotify without any issues?
Then this article will help you in fixing the Spotify Won’t Open error on Windows 10. If the Spotify app is not opening due to any of the reasons, you can troubleshoot it by using the methods offered in this post.
Spotify is one of the world’s leading music streaming applications. Millions of users all over the globe are using Spotify as their default app to play and listen to audio songs.
Sometimes, Spotify will not open when we try to launch it. Some say that it happens repeatedly on their computers. In such a situation, users frustrate a lot. But you will get rid of this issue after going through this troubleshooting guide till the end.
Spotify Won’t Open: Problem Overview
People of all age groups listen to music on their desktops, Smartphones, tablets, etc. There are several applications for playing audio songs on our devices.
Presently, Spotify becomes one of the most-used applications to play songs online and offline. Since it is compatible with Microsoft Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android operating systems, we can install it on various devices.
Through the Spotify official website, we can download and install it for free of cost. On our Smartphones or tablets, or PCs, we can happily listen to our lovable songs by downloading or online.
The downloads are increasing day by day. And at the same time, the complaints are also gradually increasing on this Spotify app. One of the frequently occurring problems is Spotify Won’t Open error.
There are some specific reasons for causing this problem on our Windows PCs. They are:
There might be some other reasons, but the above are the major ones. Now, move to the following sections to fix this Spotify Won’t Open on your computer.
Spotify Won’t Open: Related Problems
Spotify works on multiple platforms, so you can face this issue on various devices. Go through this section to fix the problem on the respective system.
Spotify Won’t Open: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Before applying the following methods, let’s start with rebooting your Windows computer. If the Spotify app still shows the same problem, then continue to the below tricks.
Run Spotify as Admin
Are you trying to load the Spotify app without any special permission? Spotify needs administrator rights in order to launch it without any issues.
If you want to listen to the music on your Spotify app, then run it as an administrator.
- Right-click the Spotify app -> Click Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab -> Enable Run this program as an administrator by checking its box.
- Save the changes. If you see any prompts, then click Yes to continue.
Now, check the Spotify is launching on your Windows or shows the same issue.
Run Spotify App in the Compatibility Mode
If running Spotify with admin rights didn’t solve the error, then check the application is compatible with your Windows version or not. You might be running Spotify on non-compatible devices.
So, change the Windows version, and for that, you can run the application in compatibility mode.
- Locate the desktop shortcut of the Spotify app -> Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Under the Spotify Properties, click the Compatibility tab.
- Now, check the Run this program in the compatibility mode for option.
- Click the drop-down icon and choose the Windows edition that is older than the current one.
- After that, tap the OK button to save the changes.
See Spotify is launching properly or showing the same problem on your computer.
Close & Restart Spotify
Sometimes, simply restarting Spotify will resolve all the problems associated with it. If you want to do so, then execute the following steps.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Stay in the Processes tab -> Find the Spotify process running on your computer -> Right-click on it -> Click End Task.
- Terminate all the processes related to the Spotify application.
- After that, double-click the Spotify icon and see that it is starting or not.
If you still face the Spotify Won’t Open error, then move to the next sections.
Steps To Fix Spotify Won’t Open Issue
Below are the advanced methods that allow you to solve the Spotify Won’t Open on your Windows 10.
[ps2id id=’Step-1-Check-for-Spotify-Updates’ target=”/]
- Step 1
Check for Spotify Updates
Are you running the latest version of the Spotify app? Why because the expired or older version of this music streaming program cause many issues.
If you didn’t upgrade Spotify on your PC, then quickly install the latest updates to fix it.
- Click Start -> Type Microsoft Store -> Hit Enter.
- Locate the More option and click on it to view the menu items.
- Go with the Downloads and Updates.
- Under the list, select Spotify and hit the Update option.
[ps2id id=’Step-2-Update-Windows-OS’ target=”/]
- Step 2
Update Windows OS
We all know that outdated applications will result in frequent problems. Not only that, we encounter PC performance, hardware failures, and these kinds of Spotify Won’t Open errors if we use the older Windows version.
In the process of solving this problem, we suggest checking for the latest Windows updates and install them on your PC.
- Press Windows + I in order to open the Settings.
- After that, go with the Update & Security category.
- You have to stay in the Windows Update tab.
- Now, click the Check for Updates option to know whether Microsoft released newer versions or not. If there are new updates available, then install them.
After completing the update process, check the Spotify Won’t Open error on your PC.
[ps2id id=’Step-3-Repair-Reset-Spotify’ target=”/]
- Step 3
Repair & Reset Spotify
If the Spotify app is showing the problem repeatedly, then the files might be corrupted. Don’t take a chance, just repair Spotify to fix these corrupted items.
- Press the Windows logo -> Type Spotify -> Click the App Settings option.
- Click the Repair button.
Within a few seconds, it repairs the Spotify application. Now, reboot your computer and launch it to check the issue is fixed or not.
[ps2id id=’Step-4-Allow-Background-Apps-on-Windows-10′ target=”/]
- Step 4
Allow Background Apps on Windows 10
If the background apps option under the Spotify app is turned off, then it will not load successfully on your Windows 10. You have to allow Spotify to use all the background applications running on your device.
To change the settings, follow the procedure given below.
- Go to the Start menu -> Type Spotify in the Cortana search console -> Click App Settings.
- Locate the App Permissions section, click the toggle button to turn on the Background Apps option.
- Close the window and restart the PC.
Now, double-click the Spotify app and see the problem appears again or not.
[ps2id id=’Step-5-Disable-Hardware-Acceleration’ target=”/]
- Step 5
Disable Hardware Acceleration
You know what! By default, the hardware acceleration setting on the Spotify app is enabled. It will enhance the performance of the Spotify app while playing music.
But in some cases, Spotify will not open due to this enabled hardware acceleration feature.
- Double-click the Spotify app to open it on your PC.
- Open the Menu -> Click Settings -> Locate the Show Advanced Settings and click on it.
- Find the Compatibility section and click the toggle button next to the Enabled Hardware Acceleration to turn it off.
- Close the window.
Relaunch Spotify and see that it is starting or showing the same issues.
[ps2id id=’Step-6-Turn-Off-Antivirus-Firewall’ target=”/]
- Step 6
Turn Off Antivirus & Firewall
Antivirus, Firewall, and other security suites also play a major reason in causing Spotify Won’t Open error. If you want to use Spotify or run it without errors, then disable these security softwares temporarily.
Though turning off your antivirus and firewall applications infect your computer, but it will allow the Spotify app to launch without any errors.
[ps2id id=’Step-7-Update-GPU-Drivers’ target=”/]
- Step 7
Update GPU Drivers
Some users have reported that outdated graphics card drivers prevent Spotify to open on your Windows devices. Those who are running older display drivers have to install the latest versions to get rid of this issue.
- Make sure you have connected your computer to the stable internet.
- Open the official site of your graphics card (NVIDIA or AMD) and search your graphics card.
- Now, download and install the latest version drivers on your PC.
Once you finish this process, try to rerun Spotify and see the issue again appears or not.
Note: A few people have resolved this Spotify Won’t Open by restarting their Windows in the safe mode.
Tips To Avoid Spotify Won’t Open
Contact Official Support
The above sections might have removed your frustration by fixing the Spotify issue on your Windows devices. Either through one or more troubleshooting methods, the issue can be fixed.
There are slight chances of happening this Spotify Won’t Open error even after applying the given solutions. In that situation, uninstall the Spotify app and install it again freshly properly.
Mostly, you will not engage in any trouble after reinstalling it on your PC. In case if you are unable to open Spotify, then contact the technical team of the Spotify app. You can contact them either by messaging directly or through Twitter.
Final Words: Conclusion
In conclusion, I conclude that Spotify allows everyone to play their favorite music both online and offline. We can download it and save the files on our devices.
On our Smartphones, tablets, and various other systems, we can listen to our audio songs. If the Spotify app will not open, then this guide will help in fixing it.
You can easily and quickly apply the instructions and get rid of this issue. If you have any doubts, then message us through the comment section. For any other tech help or fix other technical issues, you can go through our blog.