Last Updated on January 16, 2021 by Admin
Right Click Not Working Windows 10
In this post, we are going to provide the tips to fix the Right Click Not Working on Windows 10 PC.
Many Windows 10 users have troubled a lot when the right-click does not work or respond properly. That’s why we are here to offer the best basic & advanced methods to resolve it.
Whether it is a desktop computer or Notebook, or laptop, the user can encounter this problem while working on it. There are multiple reasons for the occurrence of this error, which can be discussed in the below sections.
Not only Windows 10 but also Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can also see this problem on their systems. It stops users from operating different tasks on PCs. That’s why read the post until the end and fix it as soon as possible.
Windows is the world’s most-used operating system compared to others. Since it owns flexible tools and an attractive & user-friendly interface, many users love to use it as their default OS.
Microsoft provides the latest features regularly to improve performance and security. But there are some issues that can encounter by the users while using it.
Even though it has millions of consumers, they see various problems related to different categories. One such error is Right Click Not Working Windows 10.
There are many reasons for encountering this Right-Click Not Working issue. They are:
There are one or more reasons from the above list that can cause your right-click not responding or working. Even there are some more causes that can be provided in the below sections.
When the right-click will not act towards your actions, you cannot any option in the context menu. It will not support you to access various features included in the right-click context menu.
Whether you are browsing or creating documents in Word/Excel or any others, you will not able to use the options in the right-click. So, go through this post and apply several methods given below to fix it.
One or other techniques will definitely solve your Right-Click Not Working Windows 10 issue.
Right-Click of the mouse can be used in different applications. So, we face the Right-Click Not Working error anywhere while working on our Windows 10. Check-out some of those related problems in the below section.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Go through the basic troubleshooting methods that can fix this Right-Click Not Working on your Windows 10.
Update Mouse Driver
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog on your PC.
- Type devmgmt.msc command and click the OK button.
- Now, the Device Manager window appears.
- Identify the Mic and other pointing Devices in the list and expand it by double-clicking
- After that, click the Update Driver option from the context menu.
- In the next step, choose the Search Automatically for the Updated Driver Software option.
- By doing so, it starts updating the mouse drivers with the latest versions.
Now, check whether the Right-Click of your mouse works or not.
Check Hardware Issues
If there are hardware-related issues, the right-click of the mouse will not work. To know that, do the below-steps.
- First of all, connect your mouse device to another USB port. If it works correctly, then the problem is with the USB port.
- Still, if the mouse does not work, then use any other mouse on your PC. If it works, then it means the fault is with the mouse.
- Even after connecting the new mouse, the error appears on your PC. Then check out the following methods.
Check for the Virus-Infections
If your Windows 10 contains any virus-infected files and applications, you face different issues. One such is the Right-Click Not Working error.
- Open the antivirus software and scan the entire PC using the Full Scan Mode.
- After getting the list of infected items, remove them permanently from the PC.
- Restart the computer and see the right-click of your mouse works or not.
Steps To Fix Right Click Not Working Windows 10
If none of the basic methods will help you in fixing the Right-Click Not Working. Then you use the advanced techniques to resolve it on your Windows 10.
- Step-1 : Turn Off Tablet Mode
- Step-2 : Uninstall Unknown (Third-Party) Apps
- Step-3 : Restart File Explorer
- Step-4 : Run SFC & DISM
- Step-5 : Remove Third-Party Shell Extensions
- Step-6 : Modify the Power Management Settings for USB Root Hub
- Step-7 : Update NVIDIA Drivers
- Step-8 : Change the Touchpad Delay Time or Turn Off the Touchpad
- Step-9 : Use System Restore Point
- Step-10 : Remove Registry Items
- Step-11 : Update Windows 10
- Step 1
Turn Off Tablet Mode
Turning off the Tablet Mode on your Windows 10 might fix the Right-Click Not Working issue. For that,
- First, click the Action Center placed at the bottom-right corner of the desktop screen.
- Identify the Tablet Mode and disable the Tablet Mode (if it is enabled).
- Now, check the Right-Click of your mouse works on your Windows 10.
- Step 2
Uninstall Unknown (Third-Party) Apps
Find-out all those unknown or third-party applications that exist on your Windows computer. After that, uninstall them completely to fix the issue.
Most of the users have resolved the Right-Click Not Working issue by removing these useless apps.
- Press Windows + S and type Control Panel in the search console.
- After that, click the Programs.
- then click the Uninstall a Program under the Programs and Features section.
- Now, you have to find those programs that might cause this issue and click the Uninstall button.
- Step 3
Restart File Explorer
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
Note: If there is not showing processes tab then click on more details
- By default, it opens the Task Manager in the Processes tab.
- Now, find the Windows Explorer process.
- Finally, click the Restart button on the right bottom corner.
- By doing so, the File (Window) Explorer starts freshly on your computer. Check the right-click of the mouse on your Windows 10.
- Step 4
Run SFC & DISM
When the above methods do not solve your Right-Click Not Working issue, you have to perform SFC and DISM scans.
- Use Windows + S keys to Search command prompt.
- Open the Command Prompt Run as administrator by right clicking.
- Thus, the command prompt opens with the Administrator Rights.
- Type sfc /scannow command and hit Enter.
- It scans the entire Windows 10 and checks for corrupted system files. If it detects anything, then it automatically repairs all those corrupted items.
- Finally, reboot the Windows 10 and verify whether the problem appears or not.
To perform the DISM Scan:
- Use the above steps to open the Command Prompt with the Admin privileges.
- After that, type the following commands and hit Enter after typing each one.
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- ism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
After completing the process successfully, restart the PC and see the right-click works correctly or not.
- Step 5
Remove Third-Party Shell Extensions
To remove or disable the Third-Party Shell Extensions, you have to go through the following steps.
- Download and install the CCleaner on your Windows 10.
- After launching the CCleaner, you have to open the Tools placed at the left-side panel.
- In the next step, click the Startup option and then choose the Context Menu tab.
- Below, you can see all those shell extensions under the Context Menu.
- Now, you can delete or disable those shell extensions on your Windows 10.
Apart from CCleaner, you can also disable or remove the shell extensions by using the ShellExView utility.
- Download and complete the installation process of this ShellExView on your Windows 10.
- Open the ShellExView with the Admin rights and navigate to the following path,
Options -> Filter by Extension Type -> Context Menu.
- Choose the third-party shell extensions that are colored in Pink and click the Red button to disable them.
- In the next step, click the Options on the Menu bar. Choose the Restart Explorer to restart the Windows Shell on your PC.
- Step 6
Modify the Power Management Settings for USB Root Hub
- Open the Device Manager window by running devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog.
- Now, identify the Universal Serial Bus Controllers and expand it.
- Right click on the USB Root Hub and select properties option.
- now navigate to the Power Management tab.
- Disable the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” option by unchecking the checkbox.
- Click the OK button to save the changes. You have to repeat these steps on all of the USB Root Hub devices.
- Now, see if the Right-Click of your mouse works based on your requests or not.
- Step 7
Update NVIDIA Drivers
If you want to fix the Right-Click Not Working Windows 10, then immediately update the NVIDIA drivers. Whenever you upgrade your Windows OS, you must update the NVIDIA with the latest versions.
Using the older NVIDIA drivers might lead to various issues, including the Right-Click Not Working. So, update the drivers immediately when you encounter this problem.
- Step 8
Change the Touchpad Delay Time or Turn Off the Touchpad
- Use Windows & I keys to open the System Settings page.
- Now, click the Devices.
- From the left-side panel, choose the Mouse & Touchpad tab.
- Under the Touchpad section, you can modify the Delay Time by choosing the Medium Delay option from the drop-down list.
- In case if the right-click does not function, try another delay time until it works.
When the Touchpad will not work, disable the Touchpad completely on your PC.
- Go to the Start Menu and type Mouse Settings.
- In the next step, choose the Touchpad tab and click the Stop Device button.
- By this, the Touchpad on your device is disabled. Now, check the right-click of your mouse works or not.
- Step 9
Use System Restore Point
By reverting back to the previous builds, the Right-Click Not Working Windows 10 can be fixed. It rollbacks your computer to the previous time.
But it works only when you have created the System Restore Points on your Windows 10. If this technique will not fix the error, try out the below tips.
- Step 10
Remove Registry Items
- Open the Run dialog and execute the regedit command.
- The Windows Registry Editor appears on your computer.
- Now, you have to open the following path,
- In the next step, you need to delete all the folders under this registry except a few, namely, FileSyncEx, New, Sharing, WorkFolders.
- After deleting the folder, use the keyboard controllers to open the Context Menu and select the Delete option.
- By doing so, you will face some issues on your desktop. When anything goes wrong, open the Task Manager and run the explorer.exe task.
- Step 11
Update Windows 10
One of the best techniques to resolve any Windows error is updating it with the latest versions. So, you might resolve the Right-Click Not Working Windows 10 by upgrading the OS.
- Press Windows + I to open the System Settings.
- Click the Update & Security section.
- Choose the Windows Update tab in the left-side panel.
- Thus, it checks for the latest Windows updates and automatically installs on your PC (if any).
After restarting Windows 10, try using the right-click of your mouse and see whether it works well or not.
Tips To Avoid Right Click Not Working Windows 10
Contact Official Support
You got a clear idea regarding the causes of the Right-Click Not Working error and how to fix it. In the above sections, we have provided the best techniques to resolve it.
By analyzing the error thoroughly, we listed those methods that can definitely fix the issue. Up to our knowledge, most of the users have succeeded in resolving the problem.
If the above tips will not show any impact, then you need to contact an experienced hardware specialist. In this situation, the problem is not with the software, but with the hardware. So, taking the support of the technician might fix the error.
Still, the Right-Click Not Working error occurs on your Windows 10. You have to replace it with a new branded Mouse to use it without any issues.
Final Words: Conclusion
In my final thoughts, the user cannot work conveniently when the right-click of the mouse does not work. They can’t access the options listed on the context menu.
We use right-click in several applications to complete our tasks quickly and easily. So, if the problem is with the right-click, then apply the above methods to resolve it.
If you have cracked the issue with any other methods, then do share them with us. It will help several users who are facing the same issue.
We hope that you liked the post very much. So, please share or leave a message in the below comment section.