Last updated on March 29th, 2020 at 08:39 pm
Complete Solution To Fix HP Scanner Not Working Issue In Windows & Mac Operating System
Users of the HP scanner can face problems while scanning. Just like any other machine, HP scanners can also have technical issues. These issues can lead to your HP scanner not working in a proper manner. Most of the time you can fix Hp scanner not working problems easily by yourself.
Before you take your scanner to the service center, read this article first to check if you can fix the printer at home to solve the HP scanner not working issue and save your precious time.
Table of Contents
HP Scanner Not Working: Problem Overview
HP scanner can sometimes be unable to scan documents for various reasons. There may be some problems with scanner installation, the connection between the computer and the scanner or some other technical issues causing HP scanner not working issue on the computer. This post will help you to fix HP scanner problems if
- hp scanner not working windows 10
- hp scanner not working but the printer is
- All in one hp scanner not working
- hp scanner not working on the mac
- Scanner not working wireless
- hp printer scanner not working
- hp scanner not found
- Officejet scanner not working
- envy scanner not working
- hp smart scanner not working
- Photosmart scanner not working
Along with these issues, you will be able to solve many related problems of HP scanner. We will start with basic troubleshooting steps if your problem still persists then we will go for further advance troubleshooting steps.
It is possible that there are some minor issues with the HP scanner causing the trouble. Therefore, we suggest that you try the following steps to fix the HP scanner not working problem before proceeding further.
If the scanner starts printing by troubleshooting with the above steps then your problem is solved. If not, then try one of the below methods.
Advance troubleshooting steps for HP scanner not working
Try Uninstalling and reinstalling the scanner
If your HP scanner is not working then it is possible that there is some problem with the installation or it is not installed properly. In such a case you should try reinstalling the HP scanner on your computer to solve HP scanner not working issue. To do this, first, you have to uninstall the scanner from your computer.
Follow the below-given steps to uninstall the scanner from your computer.
To Uninstall the Driver
- Search “Control Panel” in the search box on the taskbar.
- Select the control panel from the search result.
- Click on the Programs and Features.
- Click on the HP scanner from the list.
- Right Click on your HP Scanner and select uninstall from the Pop-up.
- Follow the screen instruction to uninstall the scanner.
- Restart the computer when prompted.
To reinstall the driver
- Open HP driver download Page
- Identify your product
- you need to enter your product name
- you will be navigated to the driver download page where you will all types of HP driver as per your product model.
- Download the driver as per your product & operating system
- Now open the downloaded file & install it by following screen instructions
- Now restart your computer and HP scanner as well once
The HP scanner is now properly reinstalled on your computer. Now when you will restart the computer the problem of HP scanner not working should be fixed.
Allow Scanner through Windows Firewall
It is possible that the scanner is unable to scan because of the firewall settings. Windows firewall may stop programs from performing if the firewall does not recognize the software, application or device.
In this case, you have to enable a scanner through the firewall so that you can solve HP scanner not working issue. Perform the below-given steps to add HP scanner to the Windows firewall exception list.
- Search “Control Panel” in the search box on the left bottom.
- Choose the control panel from the search result.
- Choose the Windows Defender Firewall option.
- Now click on the “Allow an app or feature through windows defender Firewall”.
- Click on the change settings.
- Allow another App.
- Click on Browse.
- Now add the HP scanner from the list of programs and click on Ok.
Restart your computer after performing the above-given steps. Now your scanner should work.
Connection Problem between Computer and HP Scanner
The scanner may be facing connection issues with the computer or laptop. There are a variety of reasons for the connection problem to occur. There can be improper communication between the computer and the scanner.
Some interference can be there if you have a different printer or scanner previously installed on your computer. Ports may also become unavailable due to technical reasons.
In such a scenario a simple restart can solve the problem. you have to restart the computer and scanner simultaneously to recover from the connection problem and solve HP scanner not working on your computer.
If you are using a VPN then this could also cause a connection problem in wireless scanners. It interferes with computer & scanner communication. Disable VPN & try scanning.
Follow the below-given steps, in the same manner, told here
- Disconnect computer and scanner
- Restart the computer
- Now restart the scanner
This method can help the computer and HP scanner to start a fresh connection. Now your scanner should work fine and you should be able to use it.
Replace the USB Cable of Scanner
If you are using a wired scanner that connects with the computer or the laptop using a USB cable then sometimes bad cable can lead to non-function of Hp Scanner. You should try replacing the USB cable that connects your scanner with the computer.
Update the Drivers
You need to update the HP scanner drivers on your computer. You should keep your HP scanner/printer driver updated always to avoid scanner glitches. To update the driver, follow the below steps.
- Right-click on the start menu.
- Click on Device Manager.
- Double click on imaging devices, if you are using a multifunction printer then double click on printers.
- Right-click on scanner name, if you are using a multifunction printer then right-click on the printer name.
- Select Update driver from the small menu.
Run the Scannow Utility
HP scanner not working may also occur because of some missing or corrupted files. HP scanner installation files can become corrupted due to several reasons. An improper or sudden shutdown can cause this problem in a windows computer.
- Search “Cmd” In The Search Box On The Taskbar.
- Right-Click On Command Prompt and select the Run as Administrator.
- Now click on Yes.
- In the command prompt type Sfc/scannow.
This command will run the scannow utility on the computer. Wait for the scan to be completed. If there are any missing or corrupted files then they will be fixed. This step should solve HP scanner not working issue.
Start Windows Image Acquisition Service
Another important reason for HP scanner not working problem can be the WIA service. This is a special service provided by Windows OS to help run the scanners. If the Windows Image Acquisition service is not started by some reason then it can cause problems with HP scanner.
Follow the below-given steps to start the WIA service on the computer
- Search “Services” in the search box on the bottom.
- Now Click on Services From the Search Result.
- Look for Windows Image Acquisition program.
- Right-click on it and select Start the service.
Start Shell Hardware Detection Services
Some services in the Windows OS help running external hardware and devices properly. Shell hardware detection services are one of them. This service can cause the HP scanner not working problem if it is stopped. Follow the steps below to start the service.
- Press The Windows Logo And R Simultaneously On Your Keyboard.
- Now Type “Services.Msc” In The Run Box.
- Press the Enter button and Look for Shell Hardware Detection.
- Right-click on Shell Hardware Detection sevice and Click Start if the service status shows stopped.
Check for other related services
There are few other Microsoft services also which we need to make sure that it is running to make Hp scanner work. You need to check these services, list of services are as below
- DCOM Server Process Launcher
- Remote Procedure Call
- RPC End Point Mapper
To complete the scan your system should have sufficient memory available. Sometimes due to wrong settings, scanner is required a huge memory to perform the task. To resolve this issue, you need to check
- Set Scan resolution to low
- Set paper size normal
- Change scan setting to normal if it is set to extreme
Troubleshoot Hardware Problems
The troubleshooting wizard on the Windows operating system can also be used for fixing the HP scanner not the working problem. It may help fix any technical reasons which may cause the problem. Follow these steps to start and run the troubleshooter on your computer
- Search ” control Panel” in the search box on the bottom.
- Click on Control Panel from the search result.
- Click on Troubleshooting.
- Now Click Hardware and Sound.
- Click on scanner or Printer if you are using the multifunction printer.
Now follow the on-screen instructions to troubleshoot the scanner. This should fix the HP scanner not working issue.
Use manufacturer Scan & fix tool
If you are using HP printer on Windows computer then you should download the HP print and scan Doctor tool. This tool is developed by HP to fix HP printer and scanner related issues. It automatically scans the computer and fixes any technical issues which may be causing the problem.
You can download the tool from the official HP support website.
If the scan doctor tool is not able to find and fix the HP scanner not working problem on your computer then read the below-given guide.
Do not use HP Easy Scan
If your HP scanner is not working on Mac then you need to reset the scanner. To reset the scanner, follow the steps
- Click on the Apple menu.
- Now click on system preferences.
- Under the system, preferences click on printers & scanners.
- Right-click on the left side panel on scanner name or printer name and click on Reset.
Remove HP Easy scan & run Apple software update. After completing software update now reinstall Hp Easy scan
If still your scanner is not working then you need to uninstall the scanner driver or printer driver if it is a multifunction printer. Now reinstall again. Your scanner should be working now.
Tips to Avoid HP Scanner Related Issues in Future
Scanner related issues can bother you in the future also. For various reasons, you may face HP scanner not working condition. However, you can take some steps to save yourself from scanner related issues.
Contact HP Customer Support for More Help
We are assured that HP scanner not working problem should be solved with the help of this blog post. Still, if your scanner does not get fixed by reading this guide, then you can also contact the official website of HP Scanner support center.
Final Words: Conclusion
This post contains all the major steps which are required to fix the HP scanner not working issue. You should be able to use your scanner without any further troubles after reading this post and of course performing given steps to fix the problem.
Do let us know if this post was helpful in solving your problem or not. Like this post or drop a comment in the comment section below. We also welcome any suggestions if you have for this blog. Your feedback helps us in improving and encourages us to write more blog posts like this one.