Epson is known for producing quality printers and scanners. Epson brand is recognized worldwide and people buy its product for quality assistance and durability. Most popular Epson scanners are FASTFOT FF 680-W, WORKFORCE DS-970, WORKFORCE DS-70 and WORKFORCE DS-410.Recently, some Epson scanner users asked me about Epson scanner not working problem they were facing. Their Epson scanner was not scanning documents. Some scanners were scanning but not properly. Because I have lots of experience with scanners, I am writing this blog to troubleshoot Epson scanners. I hope this blog helps you fix your scanner.
Epson Scanner not Working: Problem Overview
Epson scanners are unable to print any document while Epson scanner not working issue is faced. Some scanners are able to scan documents only partially. Some Epson scanners are not able to communicate with the computer while this problem arises.
This blog will help you in solving all the above problems and more. But first, let’s start with some basic troubleshooting.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Epson Scanner not Working Issue
We have a detailed blog here to fix the Epson scanner not working problem. But we should perform some basic steps before going into the details. This is because sometimes a small issue is the cause behind scanner related problems. Let us take a look at these steps
If the Epson scanner not working problem is not fixed with these simple steps then try the below-given methods.
Check Connection from Computer
One of the major reasons for Epson scanner not working issue is connecting the scanner from a wrong port. In most of CPUs, there are two types of USB port. One type of port is for handling light data like mouse and keyboard while the other type of port is for handling data.
If you have connected your Epson scanner to computer through light USB port then you need to connect the scanner to the right kind of USB port. But wait, first read the instructions given below then carefully change the port of your scanner.
- Power off your scanner
- Disconnect the USB Cord
- Restart your computer
- Try a different USB port
- Turn on the Epson scanner
Repeat this process until the Epson scanner not working problem is fixed. In case you are connected to the right USB port, read the next section.
Scanner Troubleshooting Wizard
Troubleshooting wizard is a gift from Windows OS to fix issues like Epson scanner not working. This wizard diagnoses all issues related with scanner like connection issues or technical aspects to find the root of problem. Follow these steps to start troubleshooting wizard.
- Go to the Start menu.
- Type Troubleshoot.
- Select the Troubleshooting option.
- Click on the configure a device option.
- Choose Epson scanner from the list.
Let the system scan your scanner for any possible issues. Most chances are that it will fix your Epson scanner not working problem. Try the next method if you are still facing the issue.
Allow Scanner through Windows Firewall
Windows firewall is a protective shield for computers which keeps the system protected from suspicious devices and networks. Sometimes, the firewall automatically puts the scanner out of the safe devices list for safety reasons. This may cause the Epson scanner not working problem.
You need to add Epson scanner through the list of exceptions in Windows firewall. Follow these steps to allow Epson scanner through firewall.
- Open the Defender and Security center on Windows 10
- Select the Firewall and Network protection option
- Click on Allow an app through firewall option in the right pane
- Now click on Change Settings button in the new Window
- Select the Epson scanner from the list
- Check the Private network option
- Now click the OK button and close the Window
If your Epson scanner is already in the list of programs in firewall then some other reason is causing the Epson scanner not working issue. Try the next method.
Update Scanner Drivers on Windows 10
When was the last time when you had updated the scanner drivers? Out of date scanner drivers are a major reason for causing the Epson scanner not working issue. Follow these steps to update drivers on your computer
- Press The Windows key & Latter R simulator.
- Now type devices.msc and press the Enter button.
- Expand the Printers and Scanners option.
- Right click on the Epson scanner and select Update drivers.
- Now choose the search automatically for updated driver software.
Let the system update scanner drivers online. Once done, you will be prompted to restart the computer. After restarting your Epson printer not working error should be fixed. If not then read the next segment.
Changing from LPT1 to USB 001 Printer Port
For those people who have migrated from previous version of Windows to Windows 10, assigning a wrong port for Epson scanner can cause Epson scanner not working problem. What happens is that scanner is added to the Line Print Terminal port instead of USB port. To change the port perform these steps
- Click on Start Menu and go to Setting.
- Now Select Devices.
- Select Printer and Scanners.
- Now Select Your Epson Scanner and click on Manage Tab.
- Now Click on Printer Properties.
- Click on Ports Tab.
- Now change the port from LPT1 to USB 001.
This should fix your Epson scanner. If not then try the next method given here.
Windows Image Acquisition Service
Image acquisition service helps computer to capture images while using scanners or other such devices with the computer. Sometimes, there can be some problem with this Windows Image acquisition service. Follow the steps given below to fix this problem
- Press the Windows logo key and R simultaneously.
- Type “services.msc” and press the Enter key.
- Locate Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) from the list.
- Right click on it and select the Stop option.
- Disconnect the Epson scanner from the computer.
- Wait for few minutes.
- Reconnect the Scanner cords.
- Again right click on WIA and select Start.
This should solve the Epson scanner not working problem. If not then try the next powerful method.
Use the Scannow Utility
Sometimes a file is damaged because of the activities or interference of other software. This may cause the Epson scanner not working error. You can use the scannow utility to repair such damaged files. Perform the steps given below
- Click on the start menu.
- Type cmd in the box.
- Right click on the Command Prompt in result.
- Select Run as Administrator option.
- Now enter sfc /scannow in the console.
Wait for the system to scan all damaged files and then repair them. The process of repairing files will take 2 to 5 minutes. You can see the result on console. The sfc scannow utility should fix the Epson scanner not working problem.
The next section contains troubleshooting steps for network and wireless scanners. A network scanner is a scanner which is connected to a network of computers.
Turning off Printer and Scanner Sharing
For network scanners Epson scanner not working issue may arise if their connection is suddenly disturbed. If you have printer and scanner sharing option turned on then scanner may face problem while other users connect to the network.
Follow these steps to turn off sharing for Epson scanner
- Type Manage Advanced Sharing Settings option in the search box.
- Click on the Manage Advanced Sharing Settings option from the search result.
- Under Public sharing Select the Turn off file and printer sharing option.
- You can also do the same for Home or Private sharing.
If you want, you can also turn off password protected sharing in this same section. This is an additional step to prevent Epson scanner not working problem by preventing unwanted access to the network. Do the following
- Scroll down the Window
- Look All Networks.
- Check for Turn off password protected sharing option.
This should effectively solve the scanner problem for network Epson scanner. However, if the problem persists then you should network conflict. For more information read the next paragraph.
Network Conflict with Scanners
Multiple network conflict is something which can occur with Epson scanners connected to a multiple network of computers. Suppose there are 4-5 major computers in an office with which Epson scanner is connected and all these computers have their own separate network of 4-5 computers. Now in some cases there can be a network conflict which can give rise to the Epson scanner not working problem.
To solve this issue follow these below given steps
- Go to Control Panel of every computer that has a connection with scanner.
- Under Network and internet options.
- Click to see Computer network and devices
- Right click on the Epson Scanner and select Delete option
- Delete Epson scanner from other computer networks
- Keep the Epson scanner on one single computer only
- Now try scanning a document on this computer
If Epson scanner can scan then your Epson scanner not working issue has been resolved. Still facing the problem, then try the next better alternative.
Reconnect Wireless Epson Scanner
Network issues are complex and can give rise to problems like Epson scanner not working. When things are entangled within your network then it is time for establishing a fresh connection. Follow these steps.
- Go to Control Panel Network and internet à Computer network and devices
- Select Epson scanner and right click on it
- Select the Delete option
This process will delete your existing Epson scanner wireless connection. Now perform the next steps for creating a new and fresh wireless connection for your wireless scanner.
- Turn on the wifi on wireless Epson scanner
- Let it search for near-by wifi networks
- Add the scanner on the wi-fi console on your PC
- Test the scanner by printing a document
Now your Scanner not working problem should be resolved. When establishing a fresh connection is also not able to fix the problem then you should reinstall the scanner. Read the next section.
Reinstalling the Scanner
Until now, we have performed steps to reconnect the Epson scanner with computer or its network. A better option is to reinstall the scanner on the computer to fix the Epson scanner not working problem. Just follow the below given steps.
- Turn off the scanner.
- Disconnect all cords from scanner to computer.
- Click on Start menu and go to settings.
- Select the Devices option.
- Now click on Printers and scanners.
- Select your Epson scanner and click on Remove Tab.
Wait for the system to uninstall the scanner completely from the system. Restart Windows 10 after the uninstallation. Now once again connect the USB cords and other cables from the scanner to the computer. Wait for the system to detect the scanner. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall the Epson scanner.
Tips to Avoid Epson Scanner not Working Problem in Future
You can optimize your Windows 10 computer to minimize the risk of again getting Epson scanner related problem. This is not a very hard task. All you have to do is to take care of some small things on a regular basis. Follow these tips given below to stay away from Epson scanner not working problem.
These are some small but effective advice which can keep your scanner not working problem and save you a lot of trouble.
Contact Authorized Epson Scanner Support
Our blog is extensive enough to cover all aspects related to fix Epson scanner not working problem. Still, if you are unable to solve the problem then we recommend you to contact the official Epson scanner support webpage. Here you will get expert technician advice for your scanner.
Final Words : Conclusion
We have worked really hard to make this blog useful for you. We hope that your Epson scanner not working error is solved by reading our blog. The methods given in this blog are tested and they can solve your problem. Do let us know in comments about your thoughts in this blog.